Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cafe Irie on Primetime

• 02-12-2008 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone else here is reconsidering frequenting Cafe Irie after the revelations about non-payment of at least one migrant worker on Primetime Investigates last night?

I like the place - good stir-fries for less than a tenner and decent coffee. But I'm not sure if I want to be giving business to anyone who treats staff so badly.

Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I couldn't give them any business personally after seeing it. I've never been there before, but if I was a regular I'd stop going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

Didn't see Primetime but go into Cafe Irie sometimes.
    What happened?

If they are messing people around with pay or treating them badly I'd defo not go there again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I have a policy of studiously avoiding cafes with hand painted signs and pseudo Rastafarian names, but I'll certainly avoid it after hearing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Moved to Consumer Issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭miles teg

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone else here is reconsidering frequenting Cafe Irie after the revelations about non-payment of at least one migrant worker on Primetime Investigates last night?

I like the place - good stir-fries for less than a tenner and decent coffee. But I'm not sure if I want to be giving business to anyone who treats staff so badly.

Opinions?
    I work near it and decided not to go there again. Noticed this evening though that it's still busy inside

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Never going again.. employers who treat workers like that are the lowest of the low

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I go in to the one on Thomas St quite regularly, what happened?

It DID seem very empty today... And the two regular staff haven't been there for two weeks... :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

A Brazilian guy was working there for 3 months without getting paid, they kept fobbing him off with excuses, he eventually had to leave to get another job. They filmed undercover him going to the manager/owner? asking for his €1000 owed, they gave him another bull**** excuse. When she was confronted with the camera she ran a mile. The primetime show is up on the rte website. I would't go there after seeing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

does anyone have the link to this. I cant ind it on line :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Unlike the Harvey Norman thread a few days ago, this is a business that deserves to be boycotted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Thanks for that. I think cafe irie has just lost a regular customer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Immigrant-exploiting scum.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

just one of many places exploiting workers! are you fully sure your local chinese/thai take away is paying the correct rates? what about the person serving you in your local convenience store? we would have very few eateries to choose from if we boycott everywhere that treated their staff this badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

It's hard to see how a guy can work for 3 months without getting paid. I felt sorry for the poor guy who worked there, it sounded like his opinion of Ireland has changed over this...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

foggy_lad wrote: »
    just one of many places exploiting workers! are you fully sure your local chinese/thai take away is paying the correct rates? what about the person serving you in your local convenience store? we would have very few eateries to choose from if we boycott everywhere that treated their staff this badly.

BS. There are hundreds of restaurants/foodservice businesses in this city. Those mistreating staff in this manner are in the minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Holy shoite, that was my favourite cafe when I lived in Dublin. Coffee and sambo's were nice and you could look down chicks tops when they walk by the window :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

wyndham wrote: »
    BS. There are hundreds of restaurants/foodservice businesses in this city. Those mistreating staff in this manner are in the minority.

I would say the majority of restaurants are mistreating staff. It's mentioned during the primetime show that the Rights Commisioner (I think) carreid out a survey of restaurants and found that most places surveyed were not following employment regulations (no contracts, no payslips, paying below minimum wage etc...)

Boycott Cafe Irie if you want, but don't think it will make a difference.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Now this is a consumer issue.

I hope these lads have their business impacted the way they deserve.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It was disgusting to see, but good that PrimeTime are showing some business for what they are.

It would be very good if the Gardai and Immigration also did random checks/raids on businesses, the way that they do it in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dub37

I heard a rumour that 10 people (mainly immigrant workers) yesterday lost their jobs at Wigwam (the company that was featured cheating the taxman), I need to check..will have more soon.
    P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

foggy_lad wrote: »
    we would have very few eateries to choose from if we boycott everywhere that treated their staff this badly.

Maybe, just maybe, restaurants and coffee shops that were boycotted would see the error of their ways and start paying and treating their workers properly.

I worked in the service industry when I was younger - didn't particularly enjoy it but at least I was getting paid all the hours I was owed. Can't imagine how soul-destroying it must be working in a kitchen and not even getting minimum wage (or getting anything at all like that Brazilian guy in Cafe Irie).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

If you hadnt been paid for 3 months why would you still go in everyday?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Seamonster

I went to Cafe Irie a few times and was regularly surprised at how the manager (The male one) was always rude to the staff behind counter, in front of customers. Some of the staff were really pleasant French / Spanish / European girls who didn't deserve it. This has taken it to a different level and I am disgusted & annoyed about it. I definitely wont be going back and will pass the word on. I also congratulate the Brazilian waiter for his courage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

i don't understand why anyone would continue to work for three months without getting paid or why anyone would take a job and not demand a contract. It's asking for trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If you hadnt been paid for 3 months why would you still go in everyday?

Could have been so broke, he wanted the free meal? Maybe he was here legally and needed to stay in the job to qualify.

Does sound weird though I agree, but the poor guy was probably been fed a line and got to the stage where he was afraid to leave until he got what he was due.

Fcuking pond life of an owner(s). Wouldn't set foot in there if I was dying of hunger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I would actually love to go in there. Apparently the food is very good especially the breakfasts. Yea I want to go in there, order a load of grub and when they go to ask me to pay them say "Er, I am a bit short today, ill pay you tomorrow....."

See what that blonde floozy says then!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

penexpers wrote: »
    I would say the majority of restaurants are mistreating staff. It's mentioned during the primetime show that the Rights Commisioner (I think) carreid out a survey of restaurants and found that most places surveyed were not following employment regulations (no contracts, no payslips, paying below minimum wage etc...)

Boycott Cafe Irie if you want, but don't think it will make a difference.
    to be fair it is not just cafes and restaurants, the problem is widespread and government will do very little as the buisnesses that back them depend on these "slaves" for their massive profits!
    Monkey61 wrote: »
    i don't understand why anyone would continue to work for three months without getting paid or why anyone would take a job and not demand a contract. It's asking for trouble.
    many of these poorly paid people are given board and lodgings as part payment and they cant ask about their wages then for fear of being put out on the street!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

syklops wrote: »
    I would actually love to go in there. Apparently the food is very good especially the breakfasts. Yea I want to go in there, order a load of grub and when they go to ask me to pay them say "Er, I am a bit short today, ill pay you tomorrow....."

See what that blonde floozy says then!!!

Brilliant! We should all do it so :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Peewee_lane

Wow, I am shocked.

Officially boycotted.

Advertisement