Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Spider web?) design on side of building Western Way/Mountjoy Street

• 02-12-2008 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

Anybody know what that is? For years I thought it was a piece of art but only yesterday it occured to me it might be there to hold the wall together at crucial places where it may be cracked.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

Yeah just above the doctors office.

I thought it was from a Spiderman movie add. I know they used to placed bilboards there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Its on the Western Way. Could be part of some rec centre or community thing, Not really sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I always thought it was from a Spiderman ad years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

It was, there was a billboard there for Spiderman, possibly Spiderman 2. They subsequently removed the billboard, but not the metal web.
    Nor did they restore the building to how it looked before the billboard was put there, btu that's another matter entirely

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It just so happens.......................:)

(Pic taken in September 2007)

WesternWay-1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Have you one from when it was a Spiderman sign? :)
    If you do, you must have everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Ste.phen wrote: »
    Have you one from when it was a Spiderman sign? :)
    If you do, you must have everything!
    LOL :) Afraid not!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I was pretty sure there was an artists name on a plaque beside it at one stage? It might have been there before the movie and some enterprising advert exec incorporated it into a poster?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

That would sound more plausible. There's no way the Spiderman people would be allowed to drill into a building and put that there as an ad. Much more likely they incorporated the poster around that, but would they bother either in such an unfashionable part of the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DecentBee

Pass this on the bus a lot, always seemed a strange place to put a piece of conceptual "art".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭andywozhere

I walk past there about ten times a week and you know I never really noticed that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 IsMiseanDon

I was involved in the manufacture of the spiders web and can confirm it was intended as a piece of conceptual artwork.

Advertisement