Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aikido..

• 23-11-2008 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Killian Hollow Pinprick

I'm reading 'Angry white Pyjamas' (Robert Twigger) at the moment, and loving it.

Now, I'd like to go see it practiced.

Can anyone recommend a good club that I can check out, just as a casual observer.

I'm in Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Havo

yeah dats a brilliant book alright.....

http://www.aikido.ie/

This gives the location of a dojo in dublin..thaught by John Rogers (6 dan) the most senior instructor in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭MaeveD

Mairt, as far as I know there are no Yoshinkan Aikido clubs in Ireland. The club Havo quoted is a different style (Aikikai) and not what you're looking for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

One of his flatmates wrote a book aswell called "mishimas sword". Its written in the same style and gives a simular look at other weirdness about Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 anonjoe555

try looking up www.dublinaikido.com theres alot of useful info there

I'm a member of Dublin Aikikai Aikido.... again it isn't Yoshinkan its Aikikai :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Killian Hollow Pinprick

MaeveD wrote: »
    I'm a member of Dublin Aikikai Aikido.... again it isn't Yoshinkan its Aikikai :)

Sorry, I'm lost. Whats the difference?.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

Aikikai is like bonsai gardening; Yoshinkan is like tree surgery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Killian Hollow Pinprick

Burnt wrote: »
    Aikikai is like bonsai gardening; Yoshinkan is like tree surgery

Your barking mad!.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Could someone explain the difference between Yoshinkan and Aikikai?

Is yoshinkan a "hard style"?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

Yoshikan would be considered as a hard style it was founded by Gozo Shioda
    and can have a very tough training regime as outlined in the book angry white
    pyjamas. It would be alot closer to aikijujutsu than Aikikai and the post war schools
    It would be more direct...

Yoshikan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6Y3WZuUtVo&feature=related

Aikikai
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENSat0bmUpA&feature=related

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 moxiah

I would recommend three Aikido instructors in Ireland to anyone. All are very good, which to attend is simply a matter of geography:
    * Sensei Ray Butcher is located in Swords and, unless I miss my guess, MaeveD is his senior student.
    * Sensei Detta Dickinson teaches in NUI Maynooth and is a direct student of Shihan john Rogers.
    * Sensei Luigi Samoni teaches out of Sligo and, though I've never crossed hands with him, my Sensei trained with him for a couple of summers and fully recommends him.

Afaik, there's no Yoshinkan over here but Aikikai is a superb style with lots to offer so don't dismiss it off the bat just because Robert Twigger didn't do it; despite all of those instructors being Aikikai, they teach very differently to each other.

Mox

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭dubdamo

BURNT posted earlier that what you are looking fo might be closer to aikijutsu,if so you might want to check out www.kyushoshinjitsu.com, a guy called Joe Carslake,very knowledgeable imho.

moxiah wrote: »
    Sensei Ray Butcher is located in Swords and, unless I miss my guess, MaeveD is his senior student.

The boards is giving me a good laugh tonight, Ray doesn't like being called sensei. He had a student who insisted on calling him that, he asked him just to call him Ray instead, but he would add sensei in under his breath anyway, he just couldn't help it cause he was a bit mad.
    I'm his main heckler when I'm there. which isn't often these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

We're considering a move to Ireland so I'm looking for an Aikikai dojo in Dublin which trains kids. My daughter is six and does classes several times a week. Any suggestions?

Advertisement