Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

How to service your car

  • #1
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭ Volvoboy


    Donned the jump suit today and set about giving a the 'auld girl a service, in liew of the recent thread ''Can you change oil in your car'' thought i'd take a few pics of what to do.

    You will need:
    • Oil
    • Draining bucket (or cut out a side of a old oil bottle)
    • 1/2 inch drive socket set (selection of sockets from 10mm to 21mm)
    • Funnel (or 7up bottle)
    • Airfilter
    • Oilfilter
    • Jack (in every car)
    • Spark plugs
    • Rags

    The Service Kit
    DSC00342.jpg
    Run the car for 5 mins as hot oil drains out of the car much quicker than cold Oil. Turn off the engine after, if you run the car without any engine oil it will seize and you'll need a new engine!

    Jack the car up, locate the sump and oil filter, undo the sump nut so you can take it off by hand be carefull not to drop the sump plug into the hot oil
    DSC00365.jpg
    DSC00348.jpg
    DSC00344.jpg
    DSC00346.jpg
    DSC00347.jpg
    DSC00350.jpg
    DSC00351.jpg
    DSC00352.jpg
    DSC00354.jpg
    DSC00364.jpg
    DSC00356.jpg
    DSC00358.jpg
    DSC00360.jpg
    DSC00362.jpg
    While the oil is draining, undo the oil filter, you can use many ways to get the oil filter off straps, or by hammering a screwdriver though the filter, because my last oil change was 5790miles ago i can get it off with my hand.

    When all of the oil is gone from the engine tighten the sump plug back up and check that the new oil filter is the same as the old one what you're looking for is if they are a diffrent size.

    Before ya put the new oilfilter in place smear a small bit of oil around the rubber gasket on the filter, this assures no leaks. And its advisable to clean up excess oil from around the engine.

    Drop the car from the jack (very important you do this if you were to change the oil on a uneven surface it could give you a misreading when you check the oil).

    If you havent got a funnel take a 7up bottle and a angle grinder and make a home made one!!!

    Slowly pour the new oil into the engine occasionally check to make sure that you dont over fill the engine. When you are finished tighten up the filler cap back in place and start the engine (DONT REV THE ENGINE)

    And thats it for the oil change, keep the remaining oil in the container and in the boot of your car.


«13456714

Comments



  • Next Air filter:

    Very simple locte the filter housing usually held with clips pop them up take out the old filter and do the opposite.
    DSC00366.jpg
    DSC00367.jpg
    DSC00368.jpg
    DSC00369.jpg

    Spark Plugs: (I didnt actully change them in the last service i replaced them with 50,000 mile platinum tip plugs)

    But heres what to do;

    On the top of your engine there are four rubbers with leads called HT Leads, pull them off by the top of the rubber (do not pull it from the leads as you'll damage it by doing so) Unscrew the plugs and screw in new ones. (be carefull to pull the leads out one by one, if you take all the leads out at the same time when you put them back in you could put them back in the wrong firing order)
    DSC00377.jpg
    DSC00378.jpg
    DSC00379.jpg
    DSC00380.jpg
    DSC00381.jpg
    General

    Its always advisable to check all fluild, brakes and tyres.
    Have a few thousand on them.
    DSC00373.jpg
    Brake fluid.
    DSC00372.jpg
    Water bottle dry.
    DSC00374.jpg

    The format is the same for most cars, i know it looks like alot but its taken me longer to post this than it did to service the car:)

    Spent €37.97 on parts, got the hands dirty for a hour and saved about €230.

    Now you've no excuse not to do it.

    DSC00371.jpg

    Job Done

    Volvoboy




  • the pic were ya turned the bottle into a funnel, i looks like ya cut the bottle with the grinder... a bit overkill dont ya think ;)

    Nice job VB. good to see it in pics




  • nice job mate




  • the pic were ya turned the bottle into a funnel, i looks like ya cut the bottle with the grinder... a bit overkill dont ya think ;)

    Nice job VB. good to see it in pics

    Coulnt find a blade:(




  • Great work Volvoboy, should encourage more people to have a go.


  • Advertisement


  • Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Great work Volvoboy, should encourage more people to have a go.

    Great pics, next time post a video up :-)




  • this should be made a sticky and people can contribute to it :)




  • Vanbis wrote: »
    Great pics, next time post a video up :-)

    Better ask the powers that be!




  • Looks like ye gave your thumb some whack recently. :D

    I started to do the basics like changing oil, oil filter, plugs, air filter and pollen filter myself the past couple of years. It really is pretty simple, and obviously much cheaper, but it's also satisfying and reassuring to know the jobs have actually been done.

    IMO investing in a few basic tools is well worth it before starting. A socket set and a torque wrench are essential really - I was dead nervous about over-tightening the spark plugs and sump plug.

    I'd like to be able to handle the brakes, must try that at some point.




  • Volvoboy wrote: »
    Better ask the powers that be!

    Just post it on Youtube and provide a link & if you do make sure you have a good song in the as the theme ;)


  • Advertisement


  • Mod's should sticky this, very informative. Thanks Volvoboy :)
    P.S. I'm changing brake pads tomorrow.




  • Thanks VVB. One question. What do you do with the old oil?




  • Hal1 wrote: »
    Mod's should sticky this, very informative. Thanks Volvoboy :)

    No bother.
    PauloMN wrote: »
    Looks like ye gave your thumb some whack recently. :D

    I started to do the basics like changing oil, oil filter, plugs, air filter and pollen filter myself the past couple of years. It really is pretty simple, and obviously much cheaper, but it's also satisfying and reassuring to know the jobs have actually been done.

    IMO investing in a few basic tools is well worth it before starting. A socket set and a torque wrench are essential really - I was dead nervous about over-tightening the spark plugs and sump plug.

    I'd like to be able to handle the brakes, must try that at some point.

    Havent tacked the breaks yet, but they are due in a while.
    Vanbis wrote: »
    Just post it on Youtube and provide a link & if you do make sure you have a good song in the as the theme ;)
    Anybody wanna show me how to make youtube vidjeos?:pac:




  • nipplenuts wrote: »
    Thanks VVB. One question. What do you do with the old oil?

    Pour it into a container and bring it to a scrappy, my local is summerhill spares and they'll dispose of it for ya. The days of pouring it down the drain is long gone!




  • Volvoboy wrote: »
    Pour it into a container and bring it to a scrappy, my local is summerhill spares and they'll dispose of it for ya. The days of pouring it down the drain is long gone!

    Your local recycling centre will probably take it free-of-charge, and the old oil carton as well. Mine does anyway, presume they all do now.




  • If people are going to be following this, you might want to mention that you turn the engine off before draining the oil, I know someone would leave it running! Nice job.




  • This thread should DEFINITELY be a sticky.




  • Do you need to gap the plugs anymore?




  • macshadow wrote: »
    Do you need to gap the plugs anymore?

    I've always wondered this as well, the only thing putting me off changing the plugs in my yoke is that the sevice manual says they have to be gapped to a certain tenth of a millimetre with feeler guages. I would have thought some plug manufacturer would have come up with ready - gapped ones at this stage:confused:




  • Thanks, volvoboy. This thread has a lot of potential. I'd like to see it become the n00bs guide to doing a basic oil + filter service. Other DIY maintenance jobs (air filter, pollen filter, plugs, brakes, etc.) can be added as separate threads at a later stage

    Anyone please feel free to add your suggestions here. I'll get the ball rolling:

    - needs a lot more comments between the pictures
    - explain the service kit
    - explain exactly what you are doing at each stage
    - videos would be great. As suggested, use youtube and add links to the clips here using youtube tags


  • Advertisement


  • Is that an empty windscreen washer reservoir I see just a few inchs to the left of your thumb in the last pic OP!?!?! ;)




  • Darragh29 wrote: »
    Is that an empty windscreen washer reservoir I see just a few inchs to the left of your thumb in the last pic OP!?!?! ;)

    :eek: I'll fill it tonight at the end of me shift.;)




  • unkel wrote: »
    Thanks, volvoboy. This thread has a lot of potential. I'd like to see it become the n00bs guide to doing a basic oil + filter service. Other DIY maintenance jobs (air filter, pollen filter, plugs, brakes, etc.) can be added as separate threads at a later stage

    Anyone please feel free to add your suggestions here. I'll get the ball rolling:

    - needs a lot more comments between the pictures
    - explain the service kit
    - explain exactly what you are doing at each stage
    - videos would be great. As suggested, use youtube and add links to the clips here using youtube tags

    A Service kit compremises of
    • Oil, as per your manufactures recomendations. It differs on viscosity
    • Air Filter
    • Oil Filter
    • Spark Plugs

    The days of gapping plugs are gone!




  • Volvoboy wrote: »
    Pour it into a container and bring it to a scrappy, my local is summerhill spares and they'll dispose of it for ya. The days of pouring it down the drain is long gone!

    A fellow Bangernomics Pioneer lives quite close to me as well! Summerhill spares I use for some for my bits, can't go wrong, Exhaust backbox for €30! Still on the car 12 months later!


    Good guides I must post up some when I change the oil in the primera again 5,000 miles to go. But the filter a Pain in the ass to get at and I don't think its applicable to most cars.




  • Volvoboy wrote: »
    A Service kit compremises of
    • Oil, as per your manufactures recomendations. It differs on viscosity
    • Air Filter
    • Oil Filter
    • Spark Plugs

    The days of gapping plugs are gone!

    Yup NGKs gapping is OK out of the box. I chnaged the sparks every 10-12 thou!

    Fuel filter??? I changer mine recently and I reckon it was the original one in the car!




  • Volvoboy wrote: »
    A Service kit compremises of
    • Oil, as per your manufactures recomendations. It differs on viscosity
    • Air Filter
    • Oil Filter
    • Spark Plugs

    The aim here is not to answer specific questions but to keep editing your original post (with the help and suggestions of all of us here) to make it better and better. It will become the guide that will give n00bs the confidence to try and service their car for the first time!




  • Yup NGKs gapping is OK out of the box. I chnaged the sparks every 10-12 thou!

    Fuel filter??? I changer mine recently and I reckon it was the original one in the car!

    If ya can i'd go platinum, good for 50,000 and save a few €€€ too!




  • Volvoboy wrote: »
    If ya can i'd go platinum, good for 50,000 and save a few €€€ too!

    I've my next set bought already not sure if the car will go another 50K 190,000miles on it already. Its 13euro for 4 NGKs from Nissan




  • I've my next set bought already not sure if the car will go another 50K 190,000miles on it already. Its 13euro for 4 NGKs from Nissan

    Pfft dont be so sure, wait untill ya see my new purchase tomorrow.:D


  • Advertisement


  • Volvoboy wrote: »
    Pfft dont be so sure, wait untill ya see my new purchase tomorrow.:D

    Interesting sent you a PM btw;)

    1987 Carina I like??


Advertisement