Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many decibels is an average drum kit?

Options
  • 18-11-2008 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

How many decibels is an average drum kit with an average player rocking it out within a studio?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Peaks at about 4 billion Decibels ... Eh? Weighted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Peaks at about 4 billion Decibels ... Eh? Weighted

I don't get ya?

Can the average decibel level of a drum kit be measured or is there such thing as an average?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭JJV

Depends how close you are to the kit. Of course you can measure it - you can borrow me new snazzy dB metre if you like. I would reckon between 100 - 110 dBs A weighted at a guess. Certainly enough to harm your ears over time. EU regs specify anything over 90dBs in the work place & hearing protection must be provided & worn. (FYI my class & I reckon 85dBs is comfortably loud, 90 dBs is "noisy" but this is all subjective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Of course it can be measured, I'd imagine it will drop every foot further from the source...laws of physics.

I'd hazard a guesstimate at upwards of 90dBA, a cheap measurement device would give an exact figure tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

JJV wrote: »
    I would reckon between 100 - 110 dBs A weighted at a guess.
    I'd say you could be right, I've heard some snares louder than a band's PA :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

Thanks Savman and JJ :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Depends on why you are measuring it really. A hard rimshot at peaks at over 135dB easily. And drops about 6 dB 50 feet away from it another 6 dB for 100 ft and 6dB for 200 and so on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

judging by the state of my hearing - about tewelvety gazillion DB .

but in reality the snare tend to be the loudest -
    and the dreaded picclo snare probably reaches 9000 db ;-)

Advertisement