Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Experiences

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

deadwood wrote: »
    I think i've been supportive of the reserves.

You have been :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Bren1609 wrote: »
    I have two question for any full timers reading this:
    1. Which would you consider more valuable. A GR with 5 years experience or a full timer with 1 years experience?

Full timer...even with one week's experience...every time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Stay_in_Kampuchea

I really love being a Reeeeeserf. And it's made me a quillion times more determined to be a full timer. I think if your gettin' caught up im powers your in it for the wrong reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

no, Michael Collins was not my C.O

Of course not, you were his! :D

Im just back from London and without sounding bad against the MET, I saw more community support officers than actual police officers which is a bad sign and a false sense of security.

In fact, the area I stayed is a pretty small place on the outskirts of London and there was a picture at the train station 'Meet your local police' it said and had pictures. 4 police officers and 5 support officers (Have blue shoulder numbers).

Is this normal Metman?

Oh and even the CSPO or whetever they are called are better equiped than us.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

Of course not, you were his! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Im just back from London and without sounding bad against the MET, I saw more community support officers than actual police officers which is a bad sign and a false sense of security.

In fact, the area I stayed is a pretty small place on the outskirts of London and there was a picture at the train station 'Meet your local police' it said and had pictures. 4 police officers and 5 support officers (Have blue shoulder numbers).

Is this normal Metman?

Oh and even the CSPO or whetever they are called are better equiped than us.:rolleyes:

I've noticed this on the mainland myself.

I think, though, it's more noticable to the likes of us because we'll notice small details on other police officers that non-members might miss. (I even feel like a bit of a saddo/walter!)

If it gives the overall impression to the public that there is a strong police presence, all the better in my view - so long as support from the full time is near to hand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

Karlito/deadwood,

Most law abiding types just see CSOs as police officers. The government likes it that way.

Although nationally their number is small, CSOs are a highly visible 'police' presence on the streets. Generally they're usually limited to foot patrol, so in so far as you saw loads of em Karlito, that's their job done, all they're really supposed to be is a visible presence.

Imo CSOs have a role in law enforcement, i.e, they're handy to task with jobs like targetting nuisance youths etc but should have the word 'police' removed from their uniform.

However, where are all the Bobbies I hear you ask? In the nick doing paperwork of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,039 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I've noticed this on the mainland myself.
    Cue obligatory West Brit comment! Are you bucking for a transfer to Tory Island? :D

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    Cue obligatory West Brit comment! Are you bucking for a transfer to Tory Island? :D
    Ah, it's just after atehunderdyeersofoppressun etc, we have the oirish sun, sky tv, Boots, Currys et al so and so forth. Like it or not, we follow whatever our brethern to the east do. I'm just embracing the idea. We're really not cut out to be European - our skin is too grey. Vive la difference.

You can't beat an off topic rant now and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Centauro

metman wrote: »
    In the UK reservists are called Special Constables.

That's not strictly true. Special constables in Great Britain, but in Northern Ireland we have "Police officers, Part Time" They have exactly the same powers and equipment as their full time colleagues, but are trained to fulfill their roll as members of the community policing teams. They are paid an hourly rate, plus a retainer.

Cheers for that mate, though I don't equate p/t PSNI officers with Special Constables.....as you say your lads get paid, are looked upon as part-time regulars with the same training and firearms etc. That's a world away from our SCs. Though in fairness, some of our Specials are very good, keen as mustard and switched on. The down side is most of these go on to become regular officers!

• Advertisement

Cheers for that mate, though I don't equate p/t PSNI officers with Special Constables.....as you say your lads get paid, are looked upon as part-time regulars with the same training and firearms etc. That's a world away from our SCs.

Sorry mate, re reading my post it looks like I was trying to be a smarty pants! Anyway, I'm a POPT myself, and before that I served in the RUC reserve. To be honest, I think you would probably find the same type of people attracted to part time policing wherever you go. Circumstances here mean that we ar (reasonably) well trained, and a number of factors mean that having "unpaid volunteers" would be unacceptable. All that aside, we are still employed on a casual basis, and often only work around 20 hours a month (especially when budgets are tight, part timers hours are one of the first things to get chopped) however, when the **** hits the fan, we're there ready and waiting, and we make a lot of sense when policing busy towns with weekend problems, most of us are available when manpower is needed. You could probably employ 6 of us for the same price as one senior regular...that gives yoy 6 bods on the street rather than one at 01:30!

Centauro wrote: »
    You could probably employ 6 of us for the same price as one senior regular...that gives yoy 6 bods on the street rather than one at 01:30!

On the weekends mate I welcome any assistance I can get, and fair play to the reserves for wanting to give up their free time on a friday/saturday night to deal with the fallout/PO problems......that most regs don't want to deal with. Having spent some time in CID and having now returned to frontline policing I'm glad of the assistance, as is the division in general.

However, I disagree with your final comment; 6 part time coppers can never replace one fully trained and experienced (let alone senior) regular officer. Doing the job as a hobby/part-time is one thing, but it bears very little semblance to doing it 24/7. No offence.

6 part time coppers can never replace one fully trained and experienced (let alone senior) regular officer. Doing the job as a hobby/part-time is one thing, but it bears very little semblance to doing it 24/7. No offence.

+1

Breathe munster4868! Breathe!

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

Though in fairness, some of our Specials are very good, keen as mustard and switched on. The down side is most of these go on to become regular officers!

Why's that a downside :confused:

???
    Your full-stops travel in threes. Commas aren't too expensive, are they?
    You make a fair point but your post is difficult to read - you're not doing yourself justice.

The full stops aren't full stops, bad habbit from my pass career in comm's. The full stops are a pause. I hope that help's you in understanding my post.
    I get it. "armed services"..."comms".
    It's Morse Code!
    .-- .... . .-. . / -.. .. -.. / -.-- --- ..- / .-.. . .- .-. -. / -.-. --- -- -- ... .-.-.- / .-.. .. -.. .-.. ..--..:D

Ah well, i didn't expect you are other's to understand fully or change yer opinions on the reserve concept, but all i was doing was putting across my point.
    If you read my posts on this matter, you'll find I am very much in favour of the reserve. I admire anyone who gives up their free time to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

It can be soul destroying from a reserve point of view to see the various negative comments from regulars on this forum and the headlines after the GRA conference amongst other things.

Think about it, when you hear the moaners in the motors/after hours forum complaining about being stopped for no road tax etc and complaining about why the Gardai aren't out chasing real criminals and why their tax money isn't being spent on yaddayadda xyz....

There other people out there, part of the silent majority, who will come out of their comfort, who will give up their free time, who will go through the various stages and stand with ye, and then to have to suffer this negativity..

Sickening.

However, I disagree with your final comment; 6 part time coppers can never replace one fully trained and experienced (let alone senior) regular officer. Doing the job as a hobby/part-time is one thing, but it bears very little semblance to doing it 24/7. No offence.[/quote]

No offence taken, but I think you'll find that my "regular"colleagues, and those who are responsible for resource allocation in the PSNI would disagree with you. I police my home town. I've lived, worked and policed here for 22 years. I know the place, and the people inside out. I turn in lots of files, and all my training is bang up to date....I would challenge anyone to work a turn with my squad ( 1 Inspector, 1 Sgt, 6 Cons and 7 POPT's) and Identify who's a regular or who's a part timer. Policing is 70% common sense and the right attitude. The rest can be taught. It's not rocket science. Do you think a part time postman is less competant than a full time one? Or a bus driver? Or a soldier?

No doubt the basic training is import to a degree, but 5 years down the line the fact that you learnt to polish your boots, or spent 4 days learning to operate radio means very little. Recruit the right people, train them, and pay them. You will have an invaluable resource...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

I really don't why police members have a problem with the Reserves at all. I don;t agree with the arguement of "I'd rather have a full time member than 5 reserves" type of attitude. The AGS have 14,000 members with another 1,000 coming online within the next year so afaik the AGS has never been better resourced people wise. I worked in two multi-national blue chip companies for 10 yrs (7 of those years in middle management) before joining the AGS and I believe that the AGS are the most inefficient organisation I have ever worked for. The inefficiencies are rampant within the force from people management to the resources to the law we enforce.

We have enough people to do the job so if we have reserves as well, then I say good on them

Sorry to be picky THENOG but some people who are negative here might point out that it's the GRA that has 14,000 members and not the AGS (Assi of Grada Sgr's) just thought that i would say it before some one else does.

I don't know what you mean. The GRA represent rank and file Gardai only of which there is not 14,000.
    I must agree to some points you made but people resources aren't all the answer, you can have all the people in the world but you need the right one's, one's who can see otherside the box and are forward thinks. But thanks for your input all the same.

I agree when you say that people is not the answer to all our problem but those who are against the reserves say that we do not have proper people resources which is wrong. We have the people most of who are the right people but we do not have proper management in place to use that resource to its full extent.

And just to let you know forward thinking has rarely been a trait of the AGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭In my opinion

Sorry to be picky THENOG but some people who are negative here might point out that it's the GRA that has 14,000 members and not the AGS (Assi of Grada Sgr's) just thought that i would say it before some one else does. .

AGSI is the Association of Garda Sgts & Inspectors. AGS is an accepted abbreviation for An Garda Siochana

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

1 fully trained officer works 40 hours a week day in day out. His experience after one year is simple far superior to a reserve with 5 years experience in the same station. As is his training, 2 years in total compared to a few weeks.

Guys its a no contest in this area and I find it disheartening to see reserves posting here that they are every bit as good and experienced as the fulltimers. Ever think its this attitude that may be contributing to your downfall?

Your not doing the same job, you dont have the same powers, your not doing the same hours, you dont have the same expereince and you dont have the same training.

Now that might seem very negative but remember that I havent bad mouthed the reserves themselves, I havent condemned the reserves, Im merely pointing out a simple reality. As above, a user didnt know the difference between AGS, AGSI and GRA but yet felt qualified to correct a fulltime member and then be proven wrong.

My own personal opinion, the reserves was handled and setup wrong but thats not fulltimers or the reserves fault. Theres a lot of planks in the reserves with either no brains or too much arrogance however theres plenty with bags of common sense and a good attitude to the job and the fulltimers. I know plenty that fit in both categories, I avoid the idiots and feel sorry for the poor souls that get stuck with them while I welcome the good lads. In fact I quite like and get along well with a lot of the reserves in my station.

Now, the reserves and the fulltimers will get along fine as long as two simple rules are followed.
    1. Fulltimers need to appreciate that these people are giving up their time to assist you and on many occasions this has benefited the force, individual members and the public in general. Utilise them because they aint going away.
    2. Reserves, remember that we are the professionals and in charge. Theres a reason for that and your never going to surpass us in terms of experience, training, powers or ability.

[/QUOTE]Do you think a part time postman is less competant than a full time one? Or a bus driver? Or a soldier? [/QUOTE]

If you needed a life saving operation would you be happy with a part time doctor?
    "Ah sure, he'll be fine, he delivers bread during the week but he has steady hands and he means well!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

Theres a lot of planks in the reserves with either no brains or too much arrogance however theres plenty with bags of common sense and a good attitude to the job and the fulltimers.

Isn't that what people say about full time members?

Bren1609 wrote: »
    Isn't that what people say about full time members?

Do you have anything substantial to add to this discussion?

Centauro wrote: »
    I think you'll find that my "regular"colleagues, and those who are responsible for resource allocation in the PSNI would disagree with you.

Perhaps, perhaps not. Most officers want their backup to have undergone the same training and have similar skill-set/experience to their own. A reservist with 5 years service does not equate even to a probationary regular officer. That's simple math, and not a bias towards reservists.
    I police my home town. I've lived, worked and policed here for 22 years. I know the place, and the people inside out.

As a reservist you have that luxury. As a full-time officer you can be posted/redeployed anywhere the job sees fit, at any time. If the job did this to a reservist and it didn't suit, I'm sure you'd be handing your warrant card back in, as ultimately its not your bread and butter. Regular officers don't have that luxury.
    I turn in lots of files, and all my training is bang up to date....I would challenge anyone to work a turn with my squad ( 1 Inspector, 1 Sgt, 6 Cons and 7 POPT's) and Identify who's a regular or who's a part timer.

Would a regular officer on your squad say the same? Personally I find it somewhat alarming that a reservist would profess to be no different, experience/competence-wise etc etc than any regular officer, and claim that it's more advantageous to have a bunch of reservists out on patrol than a experienced senior regular officer.
    Policing is 70% common sense and the right attitude. The rest can be taught. It's not rocket science. Do you think a part time postman is less competant than a full time one? Or a bus driver? Or a soldier?

Simple answer is I would suggest that someone who spends 40 hours a week 24/7/365 doing a job will always have more experience than someone who does 4 hours a week or thereabouts. Experience assists in developing competence.

As for what constitutes policing, common sense is a big part, attitude, but equally training and experience; I think a full training program is vitally important to this. Ultimately any individual will only ever be as competent as training allows, experience adds to, and compliments, that.
    No doubt the basic training is import to a degree, but 5 years down the line the fact that you learnt to polish your boots, or spent 4 days learning to operate radio means very little. Recruit the right people, train them, and pay them. You will have an invaluable resource...

As above, I take the view that you can't scrimp on basic training. Had you completed the full basic training program you'd know there's a bit more than bulling boots and using a radio. I'm not trying to detract from your service or experience, but the simple fact is that if reservists/specials etc were as competent and effective as regular officers there would be no need to put officers through the entire training and probationary program that is in place. Sure you could put loads of reservists through in a matter of weeks and have all the uniforms you want on the street, and also save a load of cash on pensions and training. Is that the kind of police service you want? Its not what I want.

As a reservist you have that luxury. As a full-time officer you can be posted/redeployed anywhere the job sees fit, at any time. If the job did this to a reservist and it didn't suit, I'm sure you'd be handing your warrant card back in, as ultimately its not your bread and butter. Regular officers don't have that luxury.

Personally I find it somewhat alarming that a reservist would profess to be no different,

Mmm, you turn my "luxury" on it's head, and project it as a negative. Most regulars will never get the intimate knowledge of the community. Not their fault, they have careers to chase, but that knowledge is very useful, and gives us guys a head start....by the way, there really is no need to be alarmed. I'm not trying to muscle in and take your job! I know that working part time I'll never get an attachment to CID, Traffic, an MSU or whatever. I won't get promoted either. But the PSNI has embarked on an experiment here. They have produced (with a huge investment) a brand new policing resource, and a realistic alternative to PCSO's.

I served from 1986 until 2001 as a Part Time Reservist, 80% of what I did was security related, and apart from firearms and basic law we had little training. That has now changed, and we are trained to fill a specific niche in the policing spectrum, that of members of Community policing Units. We still have to keep up to date with First aid, searching, firearms et al, but we spend a LOT of time studying problem solving in the community. That's what we do, that's what we're good at. We have jobs and lives outside the police, and bring that experiance with us each time we go on duty...

Anyway, I chipped in here to highlight the PSNI's "experiment " with Police Officers Part Time. I think it's a shame that he Garda haven't followed a similar course, because I'm sure everyone involved would have been happier with the outcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

It's a pity that this type of attitude is present in the 21st century against fellow citizens of this state and outside. You might remove yourself from the closet life that you think is out there and embrace new ideas that might just help you, as you said,in your bread and butter career. Did you ever stop and think for a moment that these reserves are, well, maybe better equipped then you??, have a better understanding in how the community works, have a better education (degrees etc) then you, have a better past work experience than you. Well, that would be daft of me to even say that about you because i don't know you and your experience, but that didn't stop you in making some sheepiest remarks about the reserve force and the people involved in it!!!!

Great attitude.:rolleyes:

Advertisement