Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Experiences

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

ZoneAlarm wrote: »
    Are Gr not all trying to strive for the same thing, and be on the same side or is it them and the GR.

Would it not be a good idea to be altogether rather than on opposite sides.

The Full time members and the GR, will need each other at some point, to back each other up.

At the end of the day, the GR are here to stay, so no matter what anyone says, everyone will have to get on together at some point.

So why not start now :(

I agree but theres no point in pretending that everything is perfect when it isnt. Far better to identify problems in a system and fix them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

That is true but it can be made to work with a little effort on both sides

it dont take much to get things to work

patients and perseverance that is all

Things will have to get better because it is not going to go away

The Gr are here to stay despite what others think

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

do Reserves get any choice in where they get to do their duty hours when fully trained and attested?

is the help more appreciated in the busy city stations or is there anything for a Reserve to do out in the sticks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 thebigfella71

Does anyone know if the reserve are issued with an identity card similar to that of the regular Gardai??

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Manwise Bumwell

Does anyone know if the reserve are issued with an identity card similar to that of the regular Gardai??

Thanks

i read in a preivous post somewhere on here that the gr are issued with the identity card, not sure how much different it is from the one the regular force get. i naturally assume that because it is the gr that it would be different in some way, although i stand open to correction on that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

i read in a preivous post somewhere on here that the gr are issued with the identity card, not sure how much different it is from the one the regular force get. i naturally assume that because it is the gr that it would be different in some way, although i stand open to correction on that one.

Almost identical except insteaf of saying your a garda it says your a garda reserve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Manwise Bumwell

Fyr.Fytr wrote: »
    Almost identical except insteaf of saying your a garda it says your a garda reserve

damn, i thought it said bricklayer on it, oh well, my mistake!!!:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 The almighty me

thats why nobody gives their real name sunshine

Are you not aware that you have an "IP" address ? look dont want an arguement just though you were taking the p_ss from the thread, if your not good luck.:rolleyes:

Anyone know how much more of a chance been a reserve does to your chances of getting into the force(proper)?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

lehanemore wrote: »
    do Reserves get any choice in where they get to do their duty hours when fully trained and attested?

is the help more appreciated in the busy city stations or is there anything for a Reserve to do out in the sticks?

do any of the trained Reserves or full-timers have anything on this for me?:o:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭lightyear

Anyone know how much more of a chance been a reserve does to your chances of getting into the force(proper)?

After speaking to a sergeant about this it looks like the reserve is gonna end up being something that you'll have to do before you can apply for the guards proper but god knows when that'll happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Joker wrote: »
    There will always be applicants for the Garda Reserve and we will not be able to stop it in its current guise, so you might as well go for it. Just as well perhaps that you know that a lot of full-time members will not take kindly to you, and some will.

I hate the reserve idea, and the attitude displayed by many of them, just power/status hungry and aggressive tools without a shred of feeling for their fellow man. If you are different, you will change these attitudes, mine included. Good luck with your application

this has not been my experience with any reservist I have met to date.
    Most of the people i have met are quite enthuasiastic and well meaning and curious about the organisation.
    I would have to say that overall reservists have been welcomed by the station party and have integrated well into working life ,each is assigned to a unit but works across units as their shifts are slightly out of Kilter with the regular. What I have noticed is a desire to be out and about all the time, and just like new probationers(who also want to be out and about all thetime) the value of working inside in the public offic etc is not realised by most. But it is often where i can best utilise a reservist,keeping them in and letting a full time member out. The lack of numbers is hindering the reserve idea and its progress and i know its all well and good to have public order powers etc, but that also means one would have to potentially attend court and miss time at their real full time job, possibly a full day or more if its a big list etc.my 2 cents

sunnyjim wrote: »
    Joker, strange education you have for a garda.

So how does that work out for you?

perhaps you would be surprised to discover that most of my class at the Garda college had attended third level college's,some to post grad level like myself,

Joker wrote: »
    I have stated that some who join are not there to help, but to bolster their own egos. but am uneasy about training them in personally.

I am not going for promotion as I doubt I am influential enough to get it.

I know some Gardai like that.

why the unease about training ,is it not an opportunity to imprint your own idea's etc
    and don't give up on promotion, never say never !:)

vasch_ro wrote: »
    perhaps you would be surprised to discover that most of my class at the Garda college had attended third level college's,some to post grad level like myself,

It's not the subject I'm interested in; Did he not post in an earlier thread that he has gotten a promotion somewhere along the line? Unless he did his postgrad part-time, how did he get into the gardai, and get a promotion within 2 years?

****, my bad. I'm mixing up 2 message boards.

Apologies Joker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

hi all new to this thread

can some one please give me a quick run down of what a R/G does on duty and what are these dutys, how much time it takes up etc etc

cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭tashamc

The best thing to do is log onto publicjobs.ie, they have all that info & more there..

redsurfer wrote: »
    hi all new to this thread

can some one please give me a quick run down of what a R/G does on duty and what are these dutys, how much time it takes up etc etc

cheers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

thanks lad, so how long does it take to join up do u know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭tashamc

Check out earlier posts "lad" :p

redsurfer wrote: »
    thanks lad, so how long does it take to join up do u know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Santasfanta

Hi All - hope all your current applications are going as planned and wish ye well in the future. I have a quick query and hopefully someone can help.

I am hoping to get into AGS as full serving member however with cut-backs and uncertainties etc I am starting to get nervous that I possibly wont make it in in the near future (1-2yrs...).

For that reason I was considering applying for the reserve forces which would hopefully get me some experience in the force and also would allow me to be doing a job which I know I want to do (even if it isn't full time/paid).

My query is - if I go to my interview etc for the reserve forces in the next month etc and then AGS recruits for full-time in November/December/early 2009, will the fact that I have an open reserves application stop me submitting my application. Does anyone have any suggestions or is anyone in the same boat as me....??

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

My query is - if I go to my interview etc for the reserve forces in the next month etc and then AGS recruits for full-time in November/December/early 2009, will the fact that I have an open reserves application stop me submitting my application. Does anyone have any suggestions or is anyone in the same boat as me....??

No it won't stop your application at all so go for it ;) it'll look good when it comes to the interview for the full time job :) so yea go for it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 donal1234

CO19 wrote: »
    No it won't stop your application at all so go for it ;) it'll look good when it comes to the interview for the full time job :) so yea go for it .
    I Dont think that this would effect any futher application but when in doubt call the reserve office and ask them,they are always helpful,donal1234:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

donal1234 wrote: »
    I Dont think that this would effect any futher application but when in doubt call the reserve office and ask them,they are always helpful,donal1234:cool:

It doesn't effect it ;):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 donal1234

Ah thanks for the advice... Im waiting a good while alrite so the call didnt do nay harm.....:D;) Can i ask what stage are you @, or are you in the reserves ??:rolleyes::D
    I get my 6 week report on my eyes next monday so once this is sent in I would hope to start training in Templemore,donal1234:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 on standby

I took your advice all i was told was : Your application is ongoing and we will be in contact in due course.... Thanks for the advice anyway donal1234:D;)

Tommy-Kerry
    I think i am in the same boat as you.
    I applied well over a year and a half ago and every time i ask for a status on my application i am told exactly the same as what you posted. I personally get the impression that caution is been taken somewhere in the application but the door has not been closed.
    do you have a hand full of relatives living abroad as i do.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

on standby wrote: »
    Tommy-Kerry
    I think i am in the same boat as you.
    I applied well over a year and a half ago and every time i ask for a status on my application i am told exactly the same as what you posted. I personally get the impression that caution is been taken somewhere in the application but the door has not been closed.
    do you have a hand full of relatives living abroad as i do.

Thanks for the comment on standby..... I have 1 relation in america and 1 in england and the rest are in ireland so i didn't think it would take this long being honest...:( If you dont mind me asking did you hear anything else atall from the garda reserve office:confused::D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 charlotte.darcy

So given that the Reserve is probably here to stay, how do we make it work ? I've read through all the posts here and most of them are negative as to why its not working and will not work, but how can we make it work and be useful in its current form ?

More powers may come in time, but that may not be for quite some time. So both the Reserves and the Full Time Garda have to work with it as it currently stands. I feel thats its a big learning curve for all the Reserves who to a degree have been thrown in the deep end to pick things up for themselves. I know and appriciate that Full Time Garda have feelings about the Reserve, but surely at the end of the day if they co-operated and helped the Reserves (which many I have to say do to give them credit) a bit it can only improve and become more efficient and stand on it own feet to a degree instead of nervously existing as it stands ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

I think i've been supportive of the reserves. My issue, and I suspect that of a lot of members, is that the full-time force is still poorly resourced in many ways. If the force was manned, equipped and trained as it should be, then the idea of a reserve force would be more roundly welcome.

If you look at how the Defence Forces Reserve is looked at now compared to when I was a young lad in it (no, Michael Collins was not my C.O.!). I'm sure there are serious shortfalls in both the PDF and Reserve, but they're headed in the right direction.

Advertisement