Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sons and Daughters

• 25-10-2008 2:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

An old man said to a young man, "I have a daughter. She has as many brothers as she has sisters. Each one of her brothers has twice as many sisters as he has brothers.
    Question: How many sons and daughters do I have?
    ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

one son and two daughters?
    - well that's wrong.

Second (hopefully correct) answer:
    3 sons, 4 daughters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

no, two sons and two daughters?

(sorry don't know how to the greyed out spoiler thingy) actually i can see now why that's wrong, i'm going with thoie's second answer lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Zippie84 wrote: »
    no, two sons and two daughters?

(sorry don't know how to the greyed out spoiler thingy)

It's [spoler] answer [/spoler], except with the word spoiler spelled right :)

If he has two of each then the daughter won't have as many sisters as she has brothers - she'd have one sister and two brothers. I think. I don't know any more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

Thoie wrote: »
    If he has two of each then the daughter won't have as many sisters as she has brothers - she'd have one sister and two brothers.

Agreed :) Copped on to that just after i posted. and thanks for telling me how to do that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

One son
    Two daughters

The first daughter has as many sisters (1) as she does brothers (1)
    There are twice as many girls as there are boys (2-1)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Uisneagh

peanuthead wrote: »
    One son
    Two daughters

The first daughter has as many sisters (1) as she does brothers (1)
    There are twice as many girls as there are boys (2-1)

But that means the brother does not have a brother? twice 0 doesnt make anything?
    "Each one of her brothers has twice as many sisters as he has brothers"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

One son
    Two daughters

That makes sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

It's 3 sons, 4 daughters. The daughter has 3 sisters, 3 brothers. Each son then has 2 brothers and 4 sisters.
    Having just one son means he has no brothers, so 2 daughters 1 brother cannot be correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

It's 3 sons, 4 daughters. The daughter has 3 sisters, 3 brothers. Each son then has 2 brothers and 4 sisters.
    Having just one son means he has no brothers, so 2 daughters 1 brother cannot be correct.

Oh rite, I read the OP wrong, this would have been my second guess then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

Uisneagh wrote: »
    Question: How many sons and daughters do I have?
    ;)

I am assuming you are the old man in question, or is this trick wording?

• Advertisement
Advertisement