Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your FS background?

Options
  • 01-05-2008 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭

What is your background in FS? Do you fly addictivly? What do you fly? Where do you fly? etc!

To start the ball rolling....

I have around 1000 sim hours at this stage, coming up on 400 on VATSIM. Do most my flights on VATSIM now.......real world Ryanair routes! I mainly use the PMDG 738, great aircraft. I try to vary my destinations.....went to Malta recently which was a nice trip. Krakow is also an enjoyable flight, a bit long though.

Tell us about you.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Only three threads here so far, but stuck for posterity nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Well I was BIG into MS Flightsim back in the day and used to go flying every night. I was with Avsim for about 4 years as a Staff Reviewer and did plenty of reviews for them over 4 years which resulted in plenty of free software! But that was many years ago and I kinda became burnt out on it and haven't flown any soft of sim for about 5 years.

I'm getting older though and the easy pace and variety of a flightsim is appealing again. I don't think I'd get much to run on my laptop though so I'm thinking about building a PC to get back into it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

What is your background in FS? Do you fly addictivly? What do you fly? Where do you fly? etc!

To start the ball rolling....

I have around 1000 sim hours at this stage, coming up on 400 on VATSIM. Do most my flights on VATSIM now.......real world Ryanair routes! I mainly use the PMDG 738, great aircraft. I try to vary my destinations.....went to Malta recently which was a nice trip. Krakow is also an enjoyable flight, a bit long though.

Tell us about you.....

I have only 100 hours sim. and thats it lol! I got big into for a few days! Kinda bored of that now,

could you recomend any good add ons?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Hi there, delighted to see this new forum. I'm very much a beginner - I bought a book (Microsoft Flight Simulator X For Pilots Real World Training) to help learn the ropes but getting time to sit down and practice is hard. I have all the gear (TrackIR 4 and Saitek X52 Pro) which makes the whole flying experience much more enjoyable. Looking forward to posting regularly here though as I progress...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

Hey,

I fly with VATeir on the vatsim network, mostly short flights within the country or to the uk.

eo980 wrote: »
    I don't think I'd get much to run on my laptop though so I'm thinking about building a PC to get back into it.

Check out this link : www.ein117.com :eek: :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

tracker-man......are you the shamrock117? lolz

R_H_C_P...depends what you're after and what you're computer can handle. The default scenery and aircraft are crap and far from realistic. Have a look at the PMDG 737 series which is nearlly fully realistic www.precisionmanuals.com

Aerosoft do lots of lovely scenery, if you dont have a good graphics card frames can be a bit low though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

no, wish I had that kind of setup though! I wouldn't even have room for it, never mind the money! :rolleyes:

actually one thing about flight sim X

How can I make it more realistic? Going online?

Yea, the VATSIM network! virtual air traffic simulation network. Have a look at the Getting Started in Virtual Aviation thread, not too sure if its been moved from A+A yet

^yeah just read that.

Thats the kinda thing I want XD
    Do you have to know your stuff for that? Because reading some of it, Im a nOOb so some didnt click well =P

• Advertisement

LOL yea you'd need to know what you're doing.

Look at www.vatsim.net/prc

You could logon and sit and listen to ATC before actually flying.....good few people do it now

^will do man =)

I dont want no head on crashes haha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I first played around with Flight Sim on the Atari ST and the early Mac's. But I never really got into it preferring the combat flight sims. I've recently descide I want to get back into flight sim, and have 2004/fsx but haven't spent any serious time at them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Been into FS since 4.0 on my 386 :) Since then i've had every version and been involved in virtual airlines, VATSIM and a/c repainting for a while. Made myself give it up as I was spending an unhealthy time on it up to about 2 years ago and sold PC to get a laptop. I'm in New Zealand now going for real flying lessons soon but I still fire up FSX a good bit and mess around, theres some good scenery and a good online FS community down here too!

I've also applied for a job with a company down here that actually builds 737 cockpits using FS2004 as the engine...watch this space if i get the job i'll tell more!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Fair play pclancy!

As for myself...I',m not sure how many hours I've done really, I havent kept a log and don't know if you can find out through some control in FS2004 (which is the flight sim i use). I run it on a Dell XPS M1330 with a 128mb graphics card which is by no means powerful enough for full settings on everything but it does the job.

When I get into it I love but then I wonder sometimes why I do it as the most interesting parts for me are the landings! I rarely use anything but default craft, though that's about to change cos I got the CLS DC-10 so that should be interesting. What I tend to do actually is, once I have all the bits I can control (take off etc), and it's on it's heading on autopilot, I tend to sit back and read a book or do some study and when I am coming in on approach I put everything away and grab the joystick again. If only I could bother my arse to learn how to use VORs and such....

Actually is using VORs a big thing? Would you need it for VATSIM?

I have flown a Tupolev Tu-114 from Samdim Design (look them up, some create freeware stuff there) around Europe, pretending to be Khrushchev's personal pilot haha! I even flew that one to Cuba using an adventure scenario available on avsim that recreates the conditions and course to get from Moscow to Havana in 1961 on this big turbopop.

A few days ago I touched down in Boston in a 747 (default) from Shannon but the hours crossing the Atlantic were far from interesting as it was on autopilot and all i could do was sit and wait. Anyone else get that or is there stuff one can actually do????

Mainly I fly the default 737 but I am prone to going for a few hours in a Beechcraft KingAir, again the default one.

So there's my story...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Did EINN/KJFK last night, oh god how long!!! Bring back Concorde!, 5+hours of fun, only prob was when you get to NY the frame rate really starts to slow down and annoy me because of all the buildings etc, anybody know how to rectify this?:confused:

Steyr wrote: »
    Did EINN/KJFK last night, oh god how long!!! Bring back Concorde!, 5+hours of fun, only prob was when you get to NY the frame rate really starts to slow down and annoy me because of all the buildings etc, anybody know how to rectify this?:confused:

Turn down the gfx......but if you're only using default the frames are killing you your gfx card must not be great!

What were the winds like last night on the NAT....which NAT did you take etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

Steyr wrote: »

Pyware planes can also do this, but most don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I like FSX, I'm really only into the hyper-realistic stuff (which generally becomes too complicated for me after a while) and some messing around. My main flying is done on X-Plane as it makes the FSX flight model look like a really bad joke. Also, designing (it's not that hard really) and flying your own aircraft is very satisfying, although I'm going a bit nuts lately - a jet propelled Seat Ibiza gyrocopter anyone?

Incidentally, the sim with by far the best flight model is, believe it or not, IL2 1946. Staggering stuff - accurate spins, slow flight and manouvering.

Niall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Good input, Confab welcome!:)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

Hi
    done the original ZX81 and commador 64k versions when they came out
    Been doing all the versions that came out since then through to about 2005

Have done micro soft FS , fly11 version , free down loads that are out there like flight gear

Fly 11 is very good cockpit details but a bit too much details for a single screen and heli is not so easy to fly

Planes when they land onn water and sink and land on the sea floor are are a bit weird

Anybody out there know how to program new features into open source flight gear FS like other planes or other features ???

I haven't bothered much since 2005

I liked the Heli in MS FS diving from 2000 feet and fly through the aircraft carrier rear starbourd door and then fly the fulll length of the interior of the Hanger under the fly deck and exit the front starboard door (tight squeeze)
    The sign painted inside hanger says no smoking on the front wall
    lucky its empty in there

I have over the years done a few hours of micro lights and light aircrafts total might be 10 hours

I would prefer to have a better class of flight simulator multi screen like 3 screens front and slanted side windows but I don't know any program that does that

Anybody any ideas preferably free download types ??? like flight gear or similar
    pclancy wrote: »
    snip....

I'm in New Zealand now going for real flying lessons soon but I still fire up FSX a good bit and mess around, theres some good scenery and a good online FS community down here too!

I've also applied for a job with a company down here that actually builds 737 cockpits using FS2004 as the engine...watch this space if i get the job i'll tell more!

any news on how you got on for the job

Any details on this 737 cockpit, is it multi screen ,is it affordordable , is it worth the cost,is it light eneogh to send through the post and not take out a second morgage

Anybody know anything similar and what the costs are preferably light aircraft type like twin engine prop or lear jet or 737 jets nothing to big like 747 or even if there is such a thing as a small heli cockpit

Anybody with a real cockpit type set up in the dublin region that I could view or even further afield but that might take a few weeks to arrange to drive to

Derry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 A320-200

R22/R44 http://www.simkits.com/product.php?prodid=616

C172 with vari pitch prop. Cant see if its Carb/Fuel inection
    http://www.simkits.com/product.php?prodid=614

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

A320-200 wrote: »
    R22/R44 http://www.simkits.com/product.php?prodid=616

C172 with vari pitch prop. Cant see if its Carb/Fuel inection
    http://www.simkits.com/product.php?prodid=614

TRC472-M Flight Deck (Cessna 172)
    Price: € 21.950,00

TRC2244 Helicopter Flight Deck (robinson 22/44)
    Price: € 22.950,00

EEEKKKKK

I tHink I will look on ebay for second hand one preferably a fire sale with fire sale prices

Certianly the The 172 Sim it probably makes more sense to get a share in a plane than spend that kinda money on sim

Derry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Canberra man

I wish somebody would upgrade Red Baron 3D to Windows Vista. I was crazed on it when I was on Windows 98. Now I'm on Vista its no go. The 14 18 war was portrayed in a very realistic manner.

Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The forums are down at the moment but I'd say someone on SimHQ would know how to do this. If all else fails I'd say it might work in DOSBox

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Ive had fs98 and fs 2004

Knocked up god knows how many hours!

lately ive been flying my sea king around city's exploring lol

Ive my longest flight was barcelona - JFK with a an225 with a shuttle on the roof!

i normally fly around europe with european air lines!

im planning on doing a round the globe trip in a aer lingus a320 which im just about to start,

what ive planned for it so far is:

Cork - Birmingham - Glasgow - Bordeaux - Amsterdam - Hamburg - Dusseldorf - Zurich - Oslo - Copenhagen - Warsaw - Madrid - Lisbon

thats the European leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Shamrock883

I have 3000+ hours online and offline flying in everything from Ultralights to Md-11s to space shuttles (i know i know:p) to helicopters.
    I fly around the globe but mainly around europe.
    I'm a proud member of VATsim with around 250+ hours as a pilot and about the same as a controller.
    I've taken a liking to the Wilco airbus series 1 and 2 as well as all things PMDG.
    See you in the skies;)

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

I have 3000+ hours online and offline flying in everything from Ultralights to Md-11s to space shuttles (i know i know:p) to helicopters.
    I fly around the globe but mainly around europe.
    I'm a proud member of VATsim with around 250+ hours as a pilot and about the same as a controller.
    I've taken a liking to the Wilco airbus series 1 and 2 as well as all things PMDG.
    See you in the skies;)

your a cork spotter.com!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Shamrock883

your a cork spotter.com!
    Yep that's me alright

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 saudek

Hi there,

I'm new on this forum. I'm a very proud member of the IVAO association since 2005 in which, I estimate having done a total amount of 5000hrs as pilot (3500 hours online) and 2000 hrs as ATC.
    I usually fly PMDG aircrafts, E-jets series (by Wilco), A320 series (which is actually pretty crappy), dreamfleet Baron 58 for IFR traditional navigation, and carenado products for VFR flights.
    FS9 and FS10 equipped.

I usually fly IVAO tours that make me travelling all over the world in front of my PC enjoying a lot of different procedures, while drinking a good tea :).

See you all.

Advertisement