Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Events

• 02-08-2006 6:02pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭

I just thought I would start a thread where people can put up events that they're going to be performing in or are helping to organise.

To get the ball rolling here's one for the choir I'm a member of :)

The RTE Philharmonic Choir will be performing Beethoven's 9th Symphony with the National Symphony Orchestra as part of the National Concert Hall's 25th Anniversary celebrations.

The concert takes place on 10th September at 8pm. (I have down on my schedule that we're performing on the 9th too but the NCH website says there's no concert that night so I dunno what the story is)

It should be a good concert with Mozart's Symphony No.35 in D (K385) being performed as well as a new piece from John Buckley that was commissioned by the Concert Hall for the celebrations.

Hope to see you there! :)

EDIT: BTW we're always looking for more Tenors and Basses to join :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 froggy_7

:) Thanks for starting this thread! I'll concurr with the following event, which I think will delight anyone who comes to or lives in Meath:

Dearbhail Finnegan & friends

FRIDAY 11 AUGUST - 8pm / €12

An evening of traditional harp music, song, and dance presented by Dearbhail Finnegan. Dearbhail will be joined by Robin Slater (flute), Meath Harp Ensemble and special guests.

Dearbhail has performed worldwide as both Harp soloist and ensemble member, performing annually at the ‘International World Harp Festival’. Dearbhail has recorded with the Grammy Award winning ‘Belfast Harp Orchestra’ and the ‘Irish National Harp Ensemble’ and was featured on ‘The Celtic Harp – A tribute to Edward Bunting’, with The Chieftains. Dearbhail continuously performs internationally and has three highly commended solo albums.

Solstice Arts Centre
    Railway Street
    Navan
    Co. Meath
    Box Office open from 10am to 5pm Monday to Saturday.
    Tel: 046 909 2300.
    info@solsticeartscentre.ie
    www.solsticeartscentre.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dankco

Just want you to know about a friend's gig at The Draiocht, The Blanchardstown Centre, Blanchardstown, Dublin 15 on the 12 of October at 8 pm. You can book at 01-885 2622 (box office).

It is going to be Flamenco for solo guitar only and will include my new compositions.

Hope to see you there, for more info check the site www.angelguitar.net or www.draiocht.ie or contact Angel: angel@angelguitar.com

Oh and may I also mention his new CD: www.incompletecentury.com

Cheerss

• Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

This looks to be a great night out

Sephira, the O'Leary sisters, www.sephira.ie are playing on Valentine's night at Temple Spa in Horseleap as part of a gala dinner. Also on Sat 17th. Its the final part of their Irish tour I think. Well worth a look and we are tipping along.

Temple Spa is in Horseleap, Moate, about an hour down the new M6 to Galway. http://www.templespa.ie/events/valentines_at_temple_2006.php

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Hello there! A bit late perhaps, but what can you do...
    My orchestra, (Dublin Youth Symphony Orchestra) are playing with the Hibernian Orchestra on Wednesday in the National Concert Hall.
    Details here.

It is, as they have called it "A Celebration of Russian Classics", and we're just playing a bunch of things, most specifically, and interestingly!, the Leningrad (7th) Symphony by Shostakovich. A beautiful piece of music I have to say, about the seige of Leningrad. Some wonderful solos in it also, even my section (2nd violins) get a look in! : p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

I'm in Trinity Choral Society and we're singing Carmina Burana next Tuesday in the national concert hall. I'm really looking forward to it and it. Carmina Burana is a fantastic piece and it should be a great concert. Tickets are on sale on the website

http://www.nch.ie/whatson/concert_details.asp?eventId=3225&dateId=15510

Here's the official description:

The University of Dublin Choral Society, with conductor Bernie Sherlock, returns to the NCH on April 17th for its first ever performance of Orff’s immensely popular Carmina Burana – earthy tales of life, love, and lust, to words written centuries ago but still sounding fresh, spicy and real in Orff’s exciting settings.

The UDCS is joined by Dublin Sinfonia with leader Brona Fitzgerald. Soloists are the young soprano Rebecca Ryan from New Zealand, whose concert work includes performances with leading conductors such as Nicholas McGegan and Laurence Cummings; student tenor Ciarán O’Leary, a pupil of bass Philip O’Reilly; and Irish baritone Owen Gilhooly one of only 25 singers selected from over 677 singers from 64 countries to compete in the 2007 BBC Cardiff Singer of the World.

The part for children’s choir is sung by multi-award-winning St. Brigid’s NS Choir from Castleknock under conductor Niamh Williams.

The concert opens with Schubert’s haunting Unfinished Symphony and continues with Brahms’s heart-warming Schicksalslied (“Song of Destiny”).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭becah

Hi all, Here's some info on a festival i'm helping with, in Carrick-on-Shannon, Co.Leitrim, August 15th-19th 2007. It's a mixture of Opera, Classical, Jazz and Trad, it's looking to be a great few days!

The Carrick Water Music Festival 2007

Carrick-on-Shannon, Co. Leitrim

A vibrant array of musical events is planned from the 15th to the 19th of August 2007 in the glorious riverside setting of Carrick-on-Shannon, the inland boating capital of Ireland, also offering some of the finest accommodation and restaurants in the North West to suit all preferences.

Since it's inception in 2005, the Carrick Water Music festival has brought a range of musical talent to Carrick-on-Shannon to reinforce the image of the Northwest as a desirable place to live, work and visit.

Under the guidance of Gwendolyn Masin, this year's Festival promises to continue this mission with a programme of powerful performances ranging from traditional, jazz, classical and swing to our key note event - The Festival Opera. Once again we will have a full programme of Fringe Events planned adding to the very special atmosphere of the Festival.

Programme of Events, 2007

Wednesday, 9th August

19:00 Benjamin Hudson Trio: Benjamin Hudson Trio, Bassoonist Benjamin Hudson is joined by renowned clarinettist Vicky White and pianist Jeremy Young. St George's Church €15/€12

20:30 The Breffni Players: The Breffni Players presents Nocturne by Miriam Gallagher. This is a combination of music and drama focusing on the life of composer John Field. Directed by Angus Dunne. The Dock €15/€12

21:00 Kila: Trad with a contemporary twist "a sumptuous, lilting and uplifting experience, one that'll bliss out fans of this ever evolving, extraordinarily talented and brilliantly adventurous band" Hot Press Magazine Festival Marquee €25/€20

Thursday, 10th August

11:00 Gerry Maguire & his Band: Their unique sound entitled "Greengroove" combines jazz, folk and trad. Expect a performance with lots of fun and attitude. Moon River €15/€12

20:30 The Breffni Players: The Breffni Players presents Nocturne by Miriam Gallagher this is a combination of music and drama focusing on the life of composer John Field. Directed by Angus Dunne. The Dock €15/€12

21:00 Blue Chamber Quartet: A fusion of classical & jazz. Four fascinating musical personalities paint from a musical palette that reaches from Friedrich Gulda and Astor Piazzolla to George Gershwin and Chick Corea. Festival Marquee €25/€20

Friday, 17th August

12noon Jazz Lads: Regulars on the Carrick-on-Shannon music Scene, The Jazz Lads will entertain all the way with their special renditions of classic jazz numbers! Moon River €15/€12

21:00 West Coast Big Band: With an age range from early twenties to early seventies, experience and youth blend seamlessly with a repertoire of Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey, Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald and Frank Sinatra. Festival Marquee €25/€20

Saturday 18th August

11:00 The Original Guinness Jazz Band: Sponsored by the Guinness Brewery for over 20 years and regulars at the annual Guinness Cork Jazz Festival, The Original Guinness Jazz Band play with flair, excitement, and superb musicianship. Moon River €15/€12

14:30 Trinity Rare Books: Words & Music Readings with Bernard MacLaverty, Brian Leyden and Morag Prunty accompanied with music by Roy Mitchell. The Dock €15/€12

15:00 Blanchardstown Brass Band: Enjoy the very special atmosphere and big brass band sound in our very own Market Yard! Market Yard Free Admission

20:00 The Marriage of Figaro - Sponsored by The Landmark Hotel Opera Theatre company presents The Marriage of Figaro, Mozart's best known opera centres around a wedding that is about to occur and a marriage about to disintegrate. The opera deals with the most profound human emotions with the lightest of comic touches. This is a tale abundant with life, love and laughter. Festival Marquee €25/€20

Sunday, 19th August

12 noon Festive Eucharist: Choirs from the local areas join the congregation for a very special service of musical celebration. St Mary's Church N/A

14:00 Veronica Dunne Opera Garden Party: Presented by the Veronica Dunne International Singing Competition All Stars, featuring well known singers from the world of opera including Anna Devin soprano, Tara Erraught mezzo soprano and Guiuseppe Deligia, baritone. Festival Marquee €25/20

19:00 Vespers: Featuring the haunting sounds of The Gregorian Chant Group. St George's Church N/A

Further Information for the Carrick Water Music Festival is available from:

Myspace: www.myspace.com/carrickwatermusicfestival

Email: info@carrickwatermusic.com or rebeccahfarrellwatermusicfest@gmail.com .

The Booking Office: The Dock Art's Centre, Carrick-on-Shannon, phone +353 71 9650828.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Opera Serenade are a group of 5 classically trained singers from Co. Wicklow performing a wide and varied repertoire ranging from opera to popular song.

Following a debut sellout performance in the John Field room last year, they return to the main auditorium of the National Concert Hall for one night, on Thursday 19th July.

They will be accompanied on the night by John Bonner (piano) and the Perry String Trio (leader, Niamh O'Connor).

Tickets are still available for only €25 from the National Concert Hall box office and the event will be filmed for an up and coming TV3 documentary.

Further details:
    www.nch.ie/whatson/concert_details.asp?eventId=3312&DateId=15734
    www.operaserenade.com

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

Dublin Bach Singers perform Vivaldi's Gloria and Bach's Magnificat in St Mary's Pro-Cathedral, Dublin on Sunday November 25th at 8pm. Tickets are €20.

Also a lunchtime recital featuring the music of Mozart, Schubert, Strauss, Gershwin and others will be held in St Stephen's Church ("The Pepper Canister"), Mount Street, Dublin 2 at 1.10pm on Wednesday November 28th, featuring soprano Anna Brady, baritone James Damaswamy and pianist David O'Shea. Tickets are €5.

Mornington Singers

Consider my calling: Responses to War
    Our next concert takes place in Christ Church Cathedral Dublin at 8pm on November 24th, repeated in St. George's Church, Belfast at 8pm on December 8th.

Consider my calling: Responses to War includes:

Parry - Songs of Farewell (1, 3, 4 and 6)
    Britten - Hymn to St. Cecilia
    Poulenc - Un Soir de Neige
    Tippett - Five Spirituals from 'A Child of our Time'

25% of the proceeds of these concerts will be used to support Trócaire's work in areas affected by war.

Tickets available on the door:

Dublin €15 (€10 concessions)
    Belfast £10 (£8 concessions)

http://www.morningtonsingers.ie/concerts.html

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

National Symphony Orchestra with the RTÉ Philharmonic Choir are doing the following on the 30th November in the NCH.

Beethoven Overture Egmont, Op. 84

Eberwein Proserpina

Orff Carmina burana

The soloists are:
    Cara O'Sullivan - soprano
    Robin Tritschler - tenor
    Leigh Melrose - bass

There were still a few tickets left when I rang last week to get some for my friends to come see me. :)

There's also a pre-concert talk by Lorraine Byrne Bodley starting at 6.45pm, probably in the Carolan Room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

Re: Carmina Burana

I heard an ad for this on Friday on RTE1 Radio (the first such ad I heard for it, and possibly the first of many ads). I went straight to www.nch.ie and it said "Sold Out". Brilliant timing as always from RTE. Well worth the licence fee increase!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Pianist2891

Hi folks,

My next lecture-recital takes place on 8th January 2008 at the National Concert Hall, Dublin entitled " Of Songs and Sonnets" - A History of Early Vocal Music with english soprano Gwendolen Martin.

The evening will feature selection of songs intertwined with a lecture exploring the music of such composers as: Thomas Tallis, William Byrd, Henry Purcell, Orlando Gibbons, John Downland, Claudio Monteverdi, and GF Handel. A special focus will be put on those composers who wrote in the English language, helping to dismiss the often held opinion amongst the public of classical vocal music as being foreign and unintelligible, and revealing the poetic mastery of composers such as John Dowland - The greatest `possibly' Irish composer to have ever lived!

As with all my lecture-recitals, I hope to make it an engaging & fun evening of music & history, featuring repertoire that doesn't often get performed in Dublin.

You can book tickets by calling the NCH Box office at 01-4170000 or by clicking http://www.nch.ie/Box-Office/Performances/Of-Songs-and-Sonnets.aspx?date=08/01/2008&time=2000

Thank you!
    KF

• Registered Users Posts: 5 gaff.ie

Just a reminder that this concert will be repeated in Belfast on Saturday week. You can read more about the music at http://tinyurl.com/36j65u
    cailinoBAC wrote: »
    Mornington Singers

Consider my calling: Responses to War
    Our next concert takes place in Christ Church Cathedral Dublin at 8pm on November 24th, repeated in St. George's Church, Belfast at 8pm on December 8th.

Consider my calling: Responses to War includes:

Parry - Songs of Farewell (1, 3, 4 and 6)
    Britten - Hymn to St. Cecilia
    Poulenc - Un Soir de Neige
    Tippett - Five Spirituals from 'A Child of our Time'

25% of the proceeds of these concerts will be used to support Trócaire's work in areas affected by war.

Tickets available on the door:

Dublin €15 (€10 concessions)
    Belfast £10 (£8 concessions)

http://www.morningtonsingers.ie/concerts.html

UPDATED - NAOMI O'CONNELL, Mezzo Soprano and Karishmeh Felfeli, Piano

Hi folks,

My next lecture-recital takes place on 8th January 2008 at the National Concert Hall, Dublin entitled " Of Songs and Sonnets" - A History of Early Vocal Music with Irish mezzo Naomi O'Connell

The evening will feature selection of songs intertwined with a lecture exploring the music of such composers as: Thomas Tallis, William Byrd, Henry Purcell, Orlando Gibbons, John Downland, Claudio Monteverdi, and GF Handel. A special focus will be put on those composers who wrote in the English language, helping to dismiss the often held opinion amongst the public of classical vocal music as being foreign and unintelligible, and revealing the poetic mastery of composers such as John Dowland - The greatest `possibly' Irish composer to have ever lived!

As with all my lecture-recitals, I hope to make it an engaging & fun evening of music & history, featuring repertoire that doesn't often get performed in Dublin.

You can book tickets by calling the NCH Box office at 01-4170000 or by clicking http://www.nch.ie/Box-Office/Perform...2008&time=2000

Thank you!
    KF

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Hi Pianist - sorry I missed that, I thought it was much later in the month! I'll try to make it to your next one, though.

Anyway, Pascal Roge is presenting a concert mysteriously entitled 'Chopin and French Impressionism' in the Clarion Hotel, Sligo, on Friday, and repeating it in New Ross (not sure precisely where) on Sunday.

Though no-one (aside, presumably, from Roge) seems to know precisely what's on the programme, it's a great opportunity to see one of the great pianists away from the more traditional venues in Dublin and Cork.

A while away yet, but since it features TWO of us from boards, not just me this time, I thought I'd post anyway!

So on June 3rd 2008, at the National Concert Hall, I'm presenting a concert with four young musicians (including Doshea3 from the classical forum here on Boards!)from Dublin (and special guest mezzo Naomi O'Connell).

For more information on "Musicians of the Future" you can click http://www.nch.ie/Box-Office/Performances/Karishmeh-Felfeli-and-Musicians-of-the-Future.aspx?date=03/06/2008&time=2000

Repertoire will feature piano solo, vocal and chamber music from across the world - including works by Bach, Albeniz, Scriabin, Brahms and more...!

Hope to see some of you there, and yes, as always, a drink afterwards is always an option :)

University of Dublin Choral Society
    Brahms Ein Deutsches Requiem & Bernstein Chichester Psalms
    National Concert Hall, Monday March 31st, 2008 @ 8pm

It is with tremendous pride that Trinity "Choral" – the longest established choral society in the universities of Ireland and Britain – returns to Brahms's deeply moving Ein Deutsches Requiem, a work whose Irish première it gave in 1911. This is paired with the lively appeal of Bernstein's Chichester Psalms.

The Brahms is not even technically a requiem since it sets passages from the Bible rather than from liturgy. And yet, its enduring popularity comes from its real, spiritual power. Believers and non-believers alike readily connect to an underlining universality in the music, namely that it is the living rather than the dead who stand in need of consolation. Conductor Bernie Sherlock directs Choral, Dublin Sinfonia (leader Brona Fitzgerald) and well-known soloists Sarah Power and Philip O'Reilly.

The directness of Leonard Bernstein's Chichester Psalms offers the perfect foil to the Brahms. His energetic settings of psalms in Hebrew, with their outtakes from West Side Story and other stage works, brought a whiff of New York to the faraway English cathedral in Chichester whose Dean commissioned the work in 1965. Bernstein described the work as having "an old-fashioned sweetness along with its more violent moments". The UDCS presents the chamber version with David Leigh, organ; Diane Marshall, harp; Brian Dungan, percussion; and Aideen Rickard, soprano.

This concert will be the last under the direction of Bernie Sherlock, only Choral's tenth conductor in 171 years, who has held the post since 1999.

NCH Monday, March 31, 2008 at 8 pm
    Tickets from €9 - €20
    NCH box office: 01 417 0000

http://www.nch.ie/Box-Office/Performances/Brahms-Requiem.aspx?date=31/03/2008&time=2000
    Further information: Sinead McCormack 086 2338963

The Mornington Singers

Conductor Orla Flanagan

present

‘Solas’ concert and CD launch

including

Frank Martin’s stunning and demanding ‘Mass for Double Chorus’
    ‘Lux aeterna’, a choral adaptation of ‘Nimrod’ from Elgar’s ‘Enigma Variations’
    Tavener’s ‘Song for Athene’, memorably performed at Princess Diana’s funeral
    Harris’s anthem ‘Bring us, O Lord God’, a beautiful setting of Donne’s text
    Arvo Pärt’s haunting ‘Nunc Dimittis’
    Cyrillus Kreek’s charming ‘Psalms of David’

Tickets €14 (€7 concessions)
    Avoid the queues and buy online at http://morningtonsingers.ie/tickets.html

The music for this concert includes selections from our second CD, ‘Solas’, which will be launched on the night. Produced by Bill Whelan and recorded at Muckross Park Chapel earlier this year, it goes to press as you read!

‘Solas’ reflects the central role which light plays in all the pieces presented. Without light, there can be no life, and the symbolic power associated with light runs deep in every culture. Martin’s mass setting captures the interplay of light and dark, contrasting with the darkness of Rautavaara’s ‘Lorca Suite’ from our CD. The binary light-darkness is still one of the most invoked dualisms in art, literature and music.

Throughout the ages, the invocation of light has been among the most powerful and primal of rituals. This is the perfect concert to get you in the mood for spring!

Tickets are available on our website, from choir members or at the door. Our new CD will be available on the night or from our website after the launch.

About the choir

The Mornington Singers were established in 1997 by a group of graduates from Trinity College Dublin who wished to continue singing together. Today we number around thirty- five singers, from a wide variety of backgrounds and nationalities.

Awarded first prize in the National Competitions for Chamber Choirs and Mixed Voice Choirs at the Cork International Cork Choral Festival in 2004 and 2005 respectively, we are firmly established as one of Dublin's leading chamber choirs. We are delighted to have been invited to compete in the Fleischmann International Trophy Competition at Cork this May.

Tenth anniversary celebrations in 2007 brought the choir to Newfoundland for Festival 500: Sharing the Voices. The choir visit Estonia later this summer as part of an exchange with the Tallinna Kammerkoor.

More on the choir and upcoming concerts at http://www.morningtonsingers.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

The UCD Philharmonic Choir are performing
    in St. Andrew's Church on Westland Row
    Wednesday 23rd April, 6:45pm

Pieces being performed:
    Mendelssohn - Sechs Sprüche, Op. 79
    Brahms - Fünf Gesänge, Op. 104
    Four of Bruckner's Sacred Motets: Locus Iste; Ave Maria; Os Justi; Christus Factus Est

Tickets are €10 (€8 concessions), and will be available at the door (it's a massive church so I don't think it'll be sold out!), or you can get them in advance from the Music Department in UCD.

It'll only take about an hour of your time, so come along!:pac:

PM me if you need any more info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 boogiewonder

Greetings,
    Just thought this might interest any Flamencos in Ireland.
    Francisco García will be giving a performance in the National Concert Hall on June 18. He's joined by guitarists Salvador Andrades and Jose Manuel Leon, Vocalist Jose Parra, Bass player Pastora Andrades, vocalist Mara Delagado, and flamenco dancer and choreagrapher David Lozano.
    This looks like it will be one of the best Flamenco shows to hit Ireland ever, as these musicians are some of the best in the world.
    http://www.nch.ie//Box-Office/Performances/Flamenco-Garcia-%E2%80%9CThe-Reunion%E2%80%9D.aspx?date=18/06/2008&time=2000

See you there
    Cheers
    Keith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 STEIRX

Hello all,

I thought it might be of interest that the "Ensemble Wien" (The Vienna Ensemble) with HUGH TINNEY, piano are coming to Dublin.

They will be performing in the Dublin Castle on October 3rd @ 8pm.

Tickets are €50 for regular admission and €20 for students but that will also includes a wine reception (@7pm) I belief!

From what I gather, you can book online here:
    http://viennaensemble.eventbrite.com/

Or you can call the Austrian Trade organisation as well to do so (details are found on www.austria.ie or the above website).

Hope this info is of interest!

All the best,
    Robert

• Registered Users Posts: 47 choral

Experience the beauty of the music of Sir John Tavener at the Temenos 08 festival music over the October bank holiday weekend 24- 26 Oct, with concerts in St Peter’s Church of Ireland in Drogheda and St Patrick’s Cathedral in Dundalk.

The programme includes some of Tavener’s most celebrated works: Song for Athene performed at Princess Diana’s funeral and The Protecting Veil. Artists include Billboard chart topping American vocal group Anonymous 4, The Ulster Orchestra and Grammy Award winning choir Polyphony – described by the critics as “possibly the best small professional chorus in the world.”

Tickets €30 from www.centralticketbureau.com
    Telephone Bookings ROI: 0818 205 205; UK 0870 850 2896.
    International :00 353 1 4487777

Programme
    The Ulster Orchestra with Ioana Petcu Colan (Violin), Doreen Curran (Mezzo) and Marta Sudraba (Cello)
    Tõnu Kaljuste Conductor

Friday 24 October 2008 at 8pm
    St.Peter’s Church of Ireland, Drogheda.
    Tavener: Supernatural Songs
    Tavener : Dhyana
    Tavener: The Protecting Veil
    Tickets €30 on sale from:
    www.centralticketbureau.com
    The Ulster Orchestra conducted by Tõnu Kaljuste will perform for the first time in Drogheda on the 24 Oct 2008 in St.Peter’s Church of Ireland. The Ulster Orchestra, Northern Ireland's only full-time symphony orchestra and one of the major orchestras in the United Kingdom, opens John Tavener’s Temenos festival.
    The performance by the Ulster Orchestra conducted by the world’s most respected conductors Tõnu Kaljuste will undoubtedly be a festival highlight. Kaljuste who was last in Drogheda as conductor of the Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir’s sold out performance.Latvian cellist Marta Sudraba, will perform the Protecting Veil with the Ulster Orchestra on Friday 24 October 2008. One of Tavener's most famous works, The Protecting Veil for solo cello and string orchestra was commissioned by the BBC in 1989. Perhaps no other piece of modern classical music has caused such a stir since its debut (in the 1989 Proms) as this work has. 'The Protecting Veil' provides an Ikon in music of the mother of God during her life.The piece is profoundly beautiful.

Polyphony with Marta Sudraba ( cello)
    Stephen Layton Conductor
    Patricia Rozario and the Oriel Trio

Saturday 25 Oct 2008 at 8pm
    St.Patrick’s Cathedral, Dundalk.
    Tavener: To a Child Dancing in the Wind
    Tavener: Various Choral works including The Lamb, Song for Athene and O My People ( World Premiere)
    One of the world’s best choirs, Grammy winner Polyphony will perform in St. Patrick’s Dundalk on 25 October 2008 as part of John Tavener’s Temenos festival. Polyphony conducted by the exceptional musician Stephen Layton will perform Tavener favourites alongside the world premiere of a new Tavener work ‘O My People’.

Dundalk audiences are in for a further treat with Patricia Rozario opening the Dundalk concert with Tavener’s To A Child Dancing in the Wind. Patricia Rozario’s described by Gramophone as possessing “a voice of liquid gold” regularly performs and records Tavener’s work and her performances are considered as definitive by the composer.

Anonymous 4 and Rothko 4
    Sunday 26 October at 8pm
    St.Peter’s Church of Ireland, Drogheda.
    Billboard chart topping American vocal group Anonymous 4 make their Irish debut in St. Peter's Church of Ireland on 26 October 2008. Renowned for their unearthly vocal blend and virtuosic ensemble singing, the four women of Anonymous 4 combine musical, literary, and historical scholarship with contemporary performance intuition as they create ingeniously designed programs of medieval, contemporary, and American music. Anonymous 4 will perform Irish and English early music works alongside works by John Tavener and Arvo Pärt at the Temenos 08 festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

Sunday 5th October, 8pm,

St Mary's Pro-Cathedral, Marlborough Street, Dublin 1:

J. S. Bach

Mass in B minor

Dublin Bach Singers,
    Orchestra of St Cecelia,

Conductor Blanaid Murphy,

Soloists Colette Boushell, Anna-Louise Costello, Victoria Massey, Duncan Brickenden, Andrew Boushell and John-Owen Miley-Read.

In memory of Dr Anne Leahy.

Proceeds to a scholarship fund in Anne's name.

Tickets 25 euro, available at the door.

Louth Contemporary Music Society (LCMS) will host a major celebration of the work of Sir John Tavener in its Temenos Festival from Friday 24 to Sunday 26 October 2008 in venues in Louth Ireland.

Festival highlights include the first Irish performance by Anonymous 4 with the Irish string quartet Rothko 4, the Ulster Orchestra conducted by Tõnu Kaljuste performing the Protecting Veil with Marta Sudraba,a world premiere of John Tavener’s O My People. O My People is a moving Byzantine text taken from the Service of the Twelve Gospels, celebrated at one o'clock in the morning of Good Friday in the Orthodox Church. O My People will be performed by Polyphony conducted by Stephen Layton, plus Patricia Rozario and the Oriel Trio in Tavener’s Yeat’s influenced work To a Child Dancing in the Wind.
    “Temenos” is a Greek word for sacred space and it is apt that the festival focuses on Tavener who is strongly influenced by sacred and spiritual texts.

A leading figure in the world of 20th-century British music, Sir John Tavener's choral and orchestral works reflect his deeply spiritual outlook and distinctive musical voice. He is perhaps best known to worldwide audiences for his Song for Athene, which was performed at the funeral of Princess Diana in 1997, his Protecting Veil which was a world wide selling cd, and his vast, 7-hour work, The Veil of the Temple, was featured in the 2004 Lincoln Center Festival.

Festival Highlights:

Friday 24 October 2008 : The Ulster Orchestra conducted by Tõnu Kaljuste on in St.Peter's Church of Ireland, Drogheda.

The Ulster Orchestra conducted by Tõnu Kaljuste will perform for the first time in Drogheda on the 24 Oct 2008 in St.Peter's Church of Ireland. The Ulster Orchestra, Northern Ireland's only full-time symphony orchestra and one of the major orchestras in the United Kingdom, opens John Tavener's Temenos festival.

The performance by the Ulster Orchestra conducted by the world's most respected conductors Tõnu Kaljuste will undoubtedly be a festival highlight. Kaljuste who was last in Drogheda as conductor of the Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir's sold out performance, has gained international fame with his diversified repertoire, and has developed close working relationships with contemporary composers such as Giya Kancheli, Arvo Pärt and Veljo Tormis.

Latvian cellist Marta Sudraba, will perform the Protecting Veil with the Ulster Orchestra on Friday 24 October 2008. One of Tavener's most famous works, The Protecting Veil for solo cello and string orchestra was commissioned by the BBC in 1989. Perhaps no other piece of modern classical music has caused such a stir since its debut (in the 1989 Proms) as this work has. 'The Protecting Veil' provides an Ikon in music of the mother of God during her life.The piece is profoundly beautiful. Sudraba, one of the best and brightest musicians of her generation, has worked with Gidon Kremer and plays the cello in his Grammy nominated orchestra Kremerata Baltica.

Irish Chamber Orchestra violinist Ioana Petcu-Colan makes a welcome return to perform Tavener's Dhyana with the Ulster Orchestra.

The Temenos festival also explores Tavener's deep connection with Irish poet WB Yeats with performances of two Yeats' influenced works. Derry mezzo soprano Doreen Curran, RTE's 1998 Young Singer of the Future and a graduate of the National Opera Studio, will open the festival with a performance of Tavener's Supernatural Songs with the Ulster Orchestra. The songs constitute one of the composer's finest achievements.

Saturday 25 October 2008 : One of the world's best choirs Polyphony to perform for the first time in St.Patrick's Dundalk

Whenever you're in the presence of the vocal ensemble Polyphony and their conductor Stephen Layton you begin to understand what authenticity is really about. The Times - March 2008

One of the world's best choirs, Grammy winner Polyphony will perform in St. Patrick's Dundalk on 25 October 2008 as part of John Tavener's Temenos festival. Polyphony conducted by the exceptional musician Stephen Layton will perform Tavener favourites alongside the world premiere of a new Tavener work O My People. Tavener's music finds devoted interpreters in Polyphony who produce some of the most beautiful choral singing you could ever hope to hear.

Dundalk audiences are in for a further treat with Patricia Rozario opening the Dundalk concert with Tavener's To A Child Dancing in the Wind. Patricia Rozario's described by Gramophone as possessing a voice of liquid gold regularly performs and records Tavener's work and her performances are considered as definitive by the composer.

Sunday 26 Oct 2008 : Anonymous 4 make their Irish debut in St.Peter's Church of Ireland

Often haunting and inspirational, these songs about going to heaven frequently will take you there."Lawson Taitte, Dallas Morning News

Billboard chart topping American vocal group Anonymous 4 make their Irish debut in St. Peter's Church of Ireland on 26 October 2008. Renowned for their unearthly vocal blend and virtuosic ensemble singing, the four women of Anonymous 4 combine musical, literary, and historical scholarship with contemporary performance intuition as they create ingeniously designed programs of medieval, contemporary, and American music. Anonymous 4 will perform Irish and English early music works alongside works by John Tavener and Arvo Pärt at the Temenos 08 festival.

The Temenos festival is a major celebration of the music of Sir John Tavener, a leading figure in 20th century contemporary music and best know for his Song for Athene performed at the funeral of Princess Diana in 1997. Sir John Tavener's choral and orchestral works reflect his deeply spiritual outlook and distinctive musical voice.

The weekend festival organized by Louth Contemporary Music Society (LCMS), runs from 24-26 October 2008 in venues across Louth, Ireland. The Festival will provide an exception opportunity to see major performers brought together for the first time in Ireland.

Programme

The Ulster Orchestra with Ioana Petcu Colan (Violin), Doreen Curran (Mezzo) and Marta Sudraba (Cello) Tõnu Kaljuste Conductor
    Friday 24 October 2008 at 8 pm at St.Peter’s Church of Ireland, Drogheda.

John Tavener : Supernatural Songs (2003)
    John Tavener : Dhyana (2007)
    John Tavener: The Protecting Veil (1988)

Polyphony with Marta Sudraba (cello) Stephen Layton Conductor
    Patricia Rozario and the Oriel Trio
    Saturday 25 Oct 2008 at 8 pm at St.Patrick’s Cathedral, Dundalk

John Tavener :To a Child Dancing in the Wind(1983)
    John Tavener :Melina (1994)
    John Tavener: Song for Athene (1993)
    John Tavener :The Lamb (1982)
    John Tavener :Hymn to the Mother of God
    John Tavener :O My People. (world premiere) (2008)
    John Tavener :Chant (1995) (solo cello)
    John Tavener :Mother of God here I stand (from Veil of the Temple) (2004)
    John Tavener: Awed by the beauty (from Veil of the Temple)
    John Tavener :Syvati (1995)( cello and chorus)
    John Tavener: Funeral Ikos (1981)

Anonymous 4 and Rothko 4
    Sunday 26 October at 8pm at St.Peter’s Church of Ireland, Drogheda

Prose: Gaude virgo salutata [Dublin Troper]

Song: Edi be thu hevene quene
    John Tavener : Out of the night (1996)
    John Tavener :As one who has slept (1996)
    Valentin Silvestrov: Ikon
    Prose: Prophetarum presignata [Dublin Troper]

Song: Alma redemptoris mater
    John Tavener: Come and do Your will in me 
(1997)
    Arvo Part : Fratres 

Prose: Salve mater misericordie [Dublin Troper] 

Song: Hail Mary full of grace
    John Tavener : Ikon of Joy/Sorrow (1999)
    John Tavener: The Lord’s Prayer (1999)
    Hymn: Ave maris stella
    Alexander Knaifel : An Autumn Evening
    John Tavener : The Bridegroom 
(1999)
    Prose: Miserere miseris [Dublin Troper]

Tickets are on sale from:
    The Central Ticket Bureau, Liberty Hall, 33 Eden Quay, Dublin 1
    Telephone Bookings; UK 0870 850 2896, ROI: 0818 205 205
    International :00 353 1 4487777

more details at www.louthcms.org

The Mornington Singers

Conductor Orla Flanagan

present

O Magnum Mysterium - Music for Advent and Christmas
    8pm, Saturday, 29th November, 2008
    City Hall, Dame St., Dublin 2

including

Victoria - Missa O Magnum Mysterium
    Pärt - Seven Magnificat Antiphons
    Praetorius / Sandström - Es ist ein Ros entsprungen
    Tavener - Magnificat (Collegium Regale)
    Britten - A Hymn to the Virgin
    Poulenc - Four Christmas Motets

a perfect programme for the beautifully resonant acoustic of the Rotunda in
    City Hall.

Tickets €14 (€7 concessions) available from choir members or on the door.
    Or become a Friend of the choir to receive complimentary tickets and CDs
    http://www.MorningtonSingers.org/friends.html

About the choir

The Mornington Singers were established in 1997 by a group of graduates
    from Trinity College Dublin who wished to continue singing together. Today
    we number around thirty-five singers, from a wide variety of backgrounds
    and nationalities.

Awarded first prize in the National Competitions for Chamber Choirs and
    Mixed Voice Choirs at Cork Cork Choral Festival in 2004 and 2005
    respectively, and placed third in the Fleischmann International Competition
    this year, we are firmly established as one of Ireland's leading chamber
    choirs. Other performances in 2008 included Tallinn (Estonia), Leinster
    House and of course Electric Picnic!

Press coverage includes comments such as

"Excellent" - Gloria, Lyric FM

"Stunning" - The News Letter (Belfast)

"Versatile" - The Ticket, The Irish Times

"A force to be reckoned with" - Rathcol, Belfast Telegraph

"Some of the sweetest sounds you'll have heard" - Morning Ireland

"Beautifully spun ... crisply articulated" - The Journal of Music in
    Ireland

More on the choir and upcoming concerts at
    http://www.MorningtonSingers.org/

Why not join our audience mailing list? See
    http://www.MorningtonSingers.org/e

Hope to see you there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

UCD Philharmonic Choir
    St. Bartholomew's Church, Clyde Road, Ballsbridge D4
    Thursday 27th November, 8pm

"Music to Die For"
    Duruflé Requiem
    Tavener Funeral Ikos
    Tavener Song for Athene
    Pärt The Beatitudes
    Whitacre Sleep

Tickets €12/8 and will be available at the door, or you can get them in advance from the Music Department in UCD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 PMCA

RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra
    Colin Currie percussion
    James MacMillan conductor

Fergus Johnston Scenes and Interludes from The Earl of Kildare (world première - RTÉ commission)
    Jennifer Higdon Percussion Concerto (Irish première)
    James MacMillan The Sacrifice: Three Interludes
    Giya Kancheli Symphony No. 5

NEW SOUNDS, SOUNDS NEW
    James MacMillan conducts an exciting concert of new music. The haunting inner landscapes of Kancheli, music from MacMillan's own opera The Sacrifice, a new Fergus Johnston piece and Higdon's Percussion Concerto, written for the remarkable Colin Currie.

'Ms Higdon aims to please in her colorful, propulsive and unabashedly accessible 25-minute concerto. The performance elicited a cheering ovation for the extraordinary percussion soloist, Colin Currie, and for the composer.'
    The New York Times
    Colin Currie will also lead master classes with percussion students in the Kevin Barry room at the National Concert Hall on Thursday 26 February at 5pm. This event will be open to the public and tickets (€5) can be purchased at the door. RTÉ is also making a special concert ticket offer available to all students interested in attending the RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra concert on Fri 27 February. For €5, students can attend the final rehearsal, a pre-performance discussion between James MacMillan and Colin Currie and the full evening concert.

FRIDAY 27 FEBRUARY, 8PM
    Soundings: James MacMillan in conversation with Colin Currie, 6.45pm
    NATIONAL CONCERT HALL

Kronos Quartet and Wu Man perform the Irish premieres of Tan Dun's Ghost Opera and Terry Riley's Cusp of Magic

13 July 2009 in An Tain Theatre Dundalk, Louth

€20 from www.centralticketbureau.com

http://www.louthcms.org/?p=963

Louth Contemporary Music Society in association with Louth County Arts Office and Dundalk Arts office present The Kronos Quartet with special guest Wu Man in the Irish premieres of Tan Dun’s Ghost Opera & Terry Riley’s Cusp of Magic in An Tain Theatre Dundalk on 13 July 2009.
    Both works were specially written for the Kronos Quartet and are available on cd recordings from Nonesuch records.
    Kronos has become one of the most celebrated and influential ensembles of our time, performing thousands of concerts worldwide, releasing more than 45 recordings of extraordinary breadth and commissioning more than 600 new works and arrangements for string quartet. Kronos’ work has also garnered numerous awards, including a Grammy for Best Chamber Music Performance (2004) and “Musicians of the Year” (2003) from Musical America.

Tan Dun’s Ghost Opera
    Ghost Opera is an acclaimed work for string quartet and pipa (Chinese lute) from Tan Dun (Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon) Tan Dun’s Ghost Opera is written for string quartet and pipa (Chinese lute) and features Grammy winning Kronos Quartet with acclaimed Chinese instrumentalist Wu Man. Stephen Pettit of the London Times said Tan Dun is master of effect. Ghost Opera is a five movement theatrical work that mirrors an ancient Chinese funeral custom in which the performer engages in a dialogue between his past and future. Ghost Opera is beguiling and moving. It is a colorful as well as a touching meditation, garnished by sounds of clashing stones and cymbals, the Chinese one-stringed lute and pipa, and small bells. . .wonderfully atmospheric.”
    Tan Dun’s (Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon) Ghost Opera is a five movement work for string quartet and pipa, with water, metal, stone and paper. Ghost Opera is written for string quartet and pipa with paper, shadow, and water gong basins placed around the performing space. The performers’ movements reflect the back-and-forth between spiritual realms that is characteristic of the ‘ghostopera’ tradition. In composing Ghost Opera, Tan was inspired by childhood memories of the shamanistic “ghost operas” of the Chinese peasant culture. In this tradition, which is over 4,000 years old, humans and spirits of the future, the past, and nature communicate with each other. The work employs elements from the European classical concert tradition, Chinese shadow puppet theatre, visual art installations, folk music theatre and ritual.

Terry Riley’s Cusp of Magic
    Terry Riley’s six-movement piece, The Cusp of Magic was described by the Los Angeles Times “with its lullabies and entrancing Chinese songs and sweet disposition, brims with joy.” The Cusp of Magic was commissioned by Kronos on the occasion of their longtime friend and collaborator Riley’s 70th birthday, the piece features the Quartet joined by Wu Man on pipa (a Chinese plucked string instrument, similar to a lute) and vocals, with all musicians also playing a variety of percussion instruments, toys, and noisemakers. Kronos Artistic Director and Violinist David Harrington says, “No composer has been as much a part of Kronos as Terry Riley. We first met at Mills College in 1978, and he has written 23 works for us so far. We knew Terry was turning 70 in 2005, and it seemed like a perfect time to commission another new piece from him. I was sure he would spend the time and take the care needed to bring his knowledge of the pipa up to the point where he could write an amazing work, and over a period of more than a year, he learned about the instrument from Wu Man. “One day I was talking with him and he said he wanted this piece to be ‘magical.’ My granddaughter Emily was an infant at the time. We had little toys and noisemakers around the house, which we would play as I carried her around. Of all the experiences I’ve had, that is the most magical. ‘Why don’t you just come over, and we’ll play some of Emily’s toys?’ I said. So he brought over his computer and recording equipment, and we played all of her toys while she was taking a nap.”
    Riley adds, “In this work, the different timbre and resonance of the Chinese pipa and the Western string quartet highlight the crossover regions of cultural reference, so that the Western musical themes might be projected with an Eastern accent and vice-versa. My plan was to make these regions seamless so that the listener is carried between worlds without an awareness of how he/she ends up there.”

The Kronos Quartet with special guest Wu Man are presented by Louth Contemporary Music Society in association with Louth County Arts Office and Dundalk Arts office. The performance of Ghost Opera and the Cusp of Magic is funded by The Arts Council / An Chomhairle Ealaíon and financially supported by the Dundalk Arts Office, the Louth Arts Office and Fáilte Ireland.

Tickets €20 on sale from
    0818 205 205 UK: 0870 850 2896 International: ++353 1 8721122
    An Tain Theatre Box Office Crowe St, Dundalk.
    00 353 42 9392919.
    Email:
    antain@dundalktown.ie
    www.antaintheatre.com

Russian composer brings new work to world premiere in Drogheda
    Louth Ireland
    The haunting music of Russian-born composer Alexander Knaifel is coming to County Louth with the world premiere of his music in a celebration called ‘The Rest is Noise’.

The work of the St Petersburg composer and cellist will be performed at St Peter’s Church of Ireland, Drogheda on the 1st May, as part of the Drogheda Arts Festival.

A number of world renowned musicians will perform Knaifel’s works. The virtuoso violinist Elizabeth Cooney, will perform ‘To EF and the Three calling cards of the Poet’, the first Irish commission from Knaifel, along with cellist Elisabeth Wilson and violist Joachim Roewer.
    The evening will also include the first Irish performance by internationally renowned Russian pianist Oleg Malov, who has performed in some of the most important festivals of contemporary music in Europe.

The deeply expressive Irish Callino Quartet will also perform some of Knaifel’s hauntingly beautiful music, including ‘O Heavenly King’.
    Organised by Drogheda Borough Council in association with Louth Contemporary Music Society (LCMS) for Drogheda Arts Festival, the performances will be a major musical event for Ireland.
    Eamonn Quinn, of LCMS, spoke about the forthcoming event. “We are proud to be able to attract such major contemporary musical events to the area and host such high calibre composers who have chosen to premiere their work in Ireland.”

“Alexander Knaifel is a contemporary of Arvo Part, who’s spiritual music was also brought to the area by the LCMS and featured at performances in Dundalk and Drogheda last year,” said Quinn.

“Knaifel started his career as a cellist and is a former student of Mstislav Rostropovich. He is well-known for both his serious compositions and also his film music, having scored over forty feature films.”

“In the 1970’s he embarked on a quest through his compositions for purity of tone and music of calm, tranquility and beauty that touch upon mystical questions like the nature of love,” explained Quinn.
    “The pieces that will be performed in the ‘Rest is Noise’ recital show just how much he has achieved this quest.”

More information about the performers and the evening is available at www.louthcms.org.
    Tickets for ‘The Rest is Noise’ – The Music of Alexander Knaifel are on sale at the door on the night or are available from the Central Ticket Bureau at €15.
    www.centralticketbureau.com 0818 295 295
    UK callers– 0870 850 2896 or international calls - +353 (0)1 872 1122

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Lisapeep

The UCD Symphony Orchestra returns for its 5th annual NCH performance in a programme of Russian classics. Sasha Anissimov plays Prokofiev's 2nd Piano Concerto, alongside music by Borodin and Khachaturian. The night concludes with the (explosive!) 1812 Overture by Tchaikovsky.

Tickets are available at www.nch.ie or from the National Concert Hall box office on the night.

Concert begins at 8pm on Tuesday 31st March.

See attached flyer for further details!

Advertisement