Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is 'Leo Dowling' from Fair City Irelands worst actor ?

• 14-09-2008 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭EnigmasWhisper

Is Dave Duffy, Fair Citys 'Leo Dowling' Irelands worst actor ? I ask this because recently friends of mine were visiting from abroad and happened to catch a few episodes of Ireland's very own soap. They unanimously agreed that Duffy was the worst actor they had ever seen on any television programme, anywhere in the world. Now I know Fair City is awful, and Duffy is a brutal actor but I wonder could he be the worst actor in Ireland ? Nothing personal to the guy by the way, hes getting paid for being awful so I guess he is pretty greatful to be still allowed to even grace our screens.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

yes. yes he is

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Dunno about that really , when l am watching Fair City and Leo comes on l actually forget that its a Soap l am watching , as Leo just seems to be living his life and that's hard for an actor to get across on screen.
    There looks like there is no effort to act coming from him , which in itself is good Acting.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭EnigmasWhisper

Dunno about that really , when l am watching Fair City and Leo comes on l actually forget that its a Soap l am watching , as Leo just seems to be living his life and that's hard for an actor to get across on screen.
    There looks like there is no effort to act coming from him , which in itself is good Acting.;)

Thats a good point, hadnt looked at the poor guy like that. To be honest all I see is a guy who cant act and shouldnt be allowed to embarrass himself on national tv. I cant act for the life of me, maybe I should audition for one of Fair Citys recycled characters, worth a try and I could do with the extra money :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

i only watch fair city to see leo. he is soooooooooooooooooooo bad it is funny. whats with the hand movements..are they his hands???????????? oh my god def a cult following ................... class

hahaha thats not the first time I heard that. My sister and her flat mates only watch it also when Leo Dowling is in the main storyline. They have a kind of 'leo dowling' night where they all gather around, get pissed and get entertained by poor Leos terrible acting and hand movements (is he playing charades) ? :D fair play to 'Leo' . . .without doubt irelands worst actor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

It's funny though. He may be bad but I actually like him. I think he knows his hands have a life of their own so he tries to hide them in his pockets.

It's funny though. He may be bad but I actually like him. I think he knows his hands have a life of their own so he tries to hide them in his pockets.

lol That or the producers wouldnt insure them . . . . its a classic case of he is so bad you have to love him

oh god.... i wasnt expecting this. yeah whats with the hand in the pockets always trying to get out. is there some glue in his pockets cos he seems to struggle to get them out.
    we have leo evenings also.we dont say is fair city on we say is leo on? when leo is off screen (practicing i presume) we have or had the two detectives as next best laugh a minute thing. detective-sergeant-super-chief-inspector byrne or what ever his name is? obviously one of the most senior detectives in the country.....................where does he live? dublin 4? perhaps? killiney? maybe howth? possibly.....NO wait for it he is sharing a crappy dingey flat with the greasy baldy car mechanic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no offence to baldies or mechanics of course. am i wrong tho?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭smares

He is the worst actor ever,he actually gets me annoyed when he comes on screen,why they based one of the main stories on him baffles me.It sounds like he is reading the lines and he obviously does not pause at full stop!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

having met him a few times I would have to say you can't really call it bad acting he more or less is the way he is in fair city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

No, yer wan Robin in the Garage is!

ntlbell wrote: »
    having met him a few times I would have to say you can't really call it bad acting he more or less is the way he is in fair city

Thats what l thought , l like Leo and his Handy acting.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Its close between him, Rita and Robin for Irelands worst actor in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

But you gotta love Leo, my entertainment comes from going into the sitting room where my mom is watching Fair City and just rip the piss out of her for watching it.. How did your one Geraldine get on TV with a voice like that..

I love the way they're trying to turn all the characters into high flyers now. "I'll meet you down the bistro and we can discuss merging with Seamus and Co." etc.

It's brilliant! Is it on now????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Hate soaps but caught him in passing one night and can now see what you mean by cult status.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

topper75 wrote: »
    Hate soaps but caught him in passing one night and can now see what you mean by cult status.

caught him in passing...

right.....while your ma was watching it....right...

Dave147 wrote: »
    But you gotta love Leo, my entertainment comes from going into the sitting room where my mom is watching Fair City and just rip the piss out of her for watching it.. How did your one Geraldine get on TV with a voice like that..

I love the way they're trying to turn all the characters into high flyers now. "I'll meet you down the bistro and we can discuss merging with Seamus and Co." etc.

It's brilliant! Is it on now????

No , not until Sunday.
    Merging with Seamus , isn't he supposed to be doing a bit of that with Annette soon, when she falls jumps off the Wagon./Shudder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Me and my brother get right craic out of watching leo dowling on fair city.. hilarous, he's great..

"Where's lana........"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

In fairness, he's run very close by the rest of the entire cast.

But yeah, he's woefully bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Rita is THE worst actor ever. A few months ago I watched Fair City. There was one scene where she couldn't even act ASLEEP !!!! She was leaning FORWARD with her eyes closed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 AJsurf

Hehehe i love this post, Like most people have stated, Leo is great fun to watch, his acting stinks and if he acts like that in real life, proves the point even better that he can't act.. He is nothing without the jacket, it's his prop, his lively hood and mentor, We get great craic out of scenes when he is forced to act without "the jacket" he does'nt know what to do with his hands. its like the writers know this and have fun with him, he had to wear a cast last week. I like to think it was to "spice things up" he really had to act really, really hard with that one..

Have to say since that charcter that looks like desperate Dan, doloras ex husband left the show, Leo is in a class of his own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Night Flight

Do you remember a guy years back who played a doctor and raped somebody?

Absolutely so horrifically bad he was brilliant!

Two expressions: eyebrows up and eyebrows down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

BolBill wrote: »
    Rita is THE worst actor ever. A few months ago I watched Fair City. There was one scene where she couldn't even act ASLEEP !!!! She was leaning FORWARD with her eyes closed.
    Heh heh. I think you are right. She IS the worst ever. I can just imagine her trying to act asleep and her eyes blinking away.

dont, just dont get me going on leo. i think lana is in his pocket. he's always fidgeting with his hand when he talks. great actor tho. must have gone to acting school. wonder whos related to who in the soap (in real life)and background production team? hmmmmmm??????

i think delores is BOSCO ...............have a look and see.
    whats that ones name with the lugs. ? has she got planning for those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

i think delores is BOSCO ...............have a look and see.
    throwing them over her shoulder like a continental soldier i think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Maybe they're aerials for receiving RTE's new digital service, I'd say she could pick up South American channels with those yokes..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

The funny thing about Leo is that he's only really had about 10 lines this year. He drags them out so much you think he's had many more :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Ah no. Its Ursula she cant act one bit always find it very funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Jimmy Doyle. Really was the worst actor in that soap. Now you can just take your pick. Clio looks like she's constantly sucking a lemon up through her ar$e!

Advertisement