Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Competition - Win a free 5 page website completed in 60 minutes from Omniserve.ie

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Irish small businesses need a website now more than ever because the internet is the shopping centre of the world

• Registered Users Posts: 36 igora

Irish small business need a website now more than ever because... if Google does not know your name...you are left behind. What a shame!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

Irish small business need a website now more than ever because if you can't rhyme, your business will decline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 MyClondalkin

Irish small businesses need a website now more than ever because, todays public, demand it!

Technology is used to help businesses survive. Now more than ever Irish small businesses need a website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Omniserve

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    So by including a link from a site that's popular with Google, you speed up the inclusion ranking process ?

Sounds like something everyone with a profile page of completed projects would do anyway, no ?

Fair play if you can sell it as something more than that!

It's a FREE part of the service so we are not selling it as anything more than just that.

Regards Eoin

• Advertisement

philtaylor wrote: »
    Irish small businesses need a website now more than ever because you would be DAFT.ie not to!

Is this what the new commercially oriented boards will be like. Pimping out forums for a few hundred quid so daft.ie can justify an investment.

Also I would like to bring it to the attention of the owners of the comp that there website claim is false. That sample website is not first for that search key. its on the first page but half way down it. False Advertising.

I'm not sure what you are talking about Phil. If it is the Blackwater Band then please see attached.

Regards Eoin

We've spent the last hour going through all the entries and enjoyed reading many of them.

However when it came down to deciding we felt that we should pick the one that is best without any re-writing. We also felt that 2 were good enough to win and have decided to give 2 free websites to this forum instead of 1.

The winners are...........

Irish small businesses need a website now more than ever because Omniserve get you there without pulling out all your hair.

blazesoftware

Irish small businesses need a website now more than ever because.....if you want to grow the world needs to know.

confidential

Honourable mention goes to igora for the entry:

Irish small businesses need a website now more than ever because ...there is now new global online sales but its still up to you if your business fails.

If it had been a bit shorter like "Irish small businesses need a website now more than ever because without online sales your business could fail" it would have been neck and neck with the winners!

I am PMing the winners with the details we need from you. Please reply as soon as possible.

Thanks Everyone for entering!

Regards Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Omniserve wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you are talking about Phil. If it is the Blackwater Band then please see attached.

Regards Eoin

Less than 1-20 Google.ie searches select the 'Pages from Ireland' search operator. And even then getting the site ranking for the site name is hardly an achievement to be honest. Ranking on google.com and google.ie (without PFI selected) for the term 'Traditional Irish Music' would be an achievement though.

The frailty of your 'Google Rapid Inclusion' Tool is even more emphasised in the fact that your own blog post sits in position 1 and 2 for your client's domain name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭philtaylor

Less than 1-20 Google.ie searches select the 'Pages from Ireland' search operator. And even then getting the site ranking for the site name is hardly an achievement to be honest. Ranking on google.com and google.ie (without PFI selected) for the term 'Traditional Irish Music' would be an achievement though.

The frailty of your 'Google Rapid Inclusion' Tool is even more emphasised in the fact that your own blog post sits in position 1 and 2 for your client's domain name.

I just searched the word blackwater band on google.com and the site you mention does not come up on the first page.

I just searched the word blackwater band on google.ie and the site came up 5th on the first page.

To be honest Eoin you have a very good marketing team the fact you can get away charging 400 euro for in my opinion a very basic site, that anyone could built in about 20 mins. Plus anyone can get a site indexed in minutes.

Quote from Eoin Costelleo/Omniserve Newstalk Interview:
    Free entry of their new site in our blog which, thanks to being indexed
    every couple of minutes by Google, ensures that the customer's name and
    primary product area appears in Google organic results very quickly. This
    free post also includes a link to the customer's site and we have tracked
    that click throughs to completed websites have occurred within minutes of
    the post being indexed.

I love an SEO competition on the keywords omniserve. Anyone want to sponsor that.

This is worth a read aswell.
    http://www.mulley.net/2008/08/21/mulleys-google-rapid-submission-tool/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 MyClondalkin

Congrats to the winners;) and the moaners well let them moan, their remarks had nothing to do with the competition and should have been removed.

• Advertisement

I'm a big fan of LA Confidential myself and see that you make a lot of worthwhile comments in other posts so it's clear that you are a reasonable person(rather than some of the people baiting the free part of our service on other forums).

In terms of the % of people that search Pages From Ireland we are hardly responsible for cultural habits. It is likely however that those that do select Pages From Ireland will be qualified leads rather than the unqualified type.

For the search phrase 'Traditional Irish Music' Blackwater Band(a site that went live a couple of weeks ago) ranks middle of page 5 behind a large number of massive tourist orientated portal sites. Getting our customer's site into Google does not include any indication of where they will rank for a competitive(in terms of number of sites featuring that phrase) generic term like that.

Regards Eoin

I just searched the word blackwater band on google.com and the site you mention does not come up on the first page.

I just searched the word blackwater band on google.ie and the site came up 5th on the first page.

To be honest Eoin you have a very good marketing team the fact you can get away charging 400 euro for in my opinion a very basic site, that anyone could built in about 20 mins. Plus anyone can get a site indexed in minutes.

Quote from Eoin Costelleo/Omniserve Newstalk Interview:
    Free entry of their new site in our blog which, thanks to being indexed
    every couple of minutes by Google, ensures that the customer's name and
    primary product area appears in Google organic results very quickly. This
    free post also includes a link to the customer's site and we have tracked
    that click throughs to completed websites have occurred within minutes of
    the post being indexed.

I love an SEO competition on the keywords omniserve. Anyone want to sponsor that.

This is worth a read aswell.
    http://www.mulley.net/2008/08/21/mulleys-google-rapid-submission-tool/

Phil, you have a great sense of humour, we must meet for a pint sometime, we'd get on like a house on fire.

In terms of "anyone" building one of these: http://omniserve.digiweb.ie/testimonials.html in 20 minutes I am interested in taking you up on your offer. Please send me your standard contract and T&C and we will look at the possibility of engaging your services. Also include details of the SEO services that you provide free and the success rate of said.

Regards Eoin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭philtaylor

Phil, you have a great sense of humour, we must meet for a pint sometime, we'd get on like a house on fire.

In terms of "anyone" building one of these: http://omniserve.digiweb.ie/testimonials.html in 20 minutes I am interested in taking you up on your offer. Please send me your standard contract and T&C and we will look at the possibility of engaging your services. Also include details of the SEO services that you provide free and the success rate of said.

Regards Eoin

Eoin, I think we have met back in your IIA days. I think I might have even bought you lunch and a pint aswell. So maybe you owe me one. To be honest its a credit the amount of marketing you have actually achieved over this. You have conquered online, radio and print. Any plans for some tv spots.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I think the customer should compare sites built from quality design companies to sites built from the ones who offer design at very low costs. I have, and there is a massive difference in terms of design quality. You pay for what you get.

The SEO claim some organisations make, rather amusing I must say, but comparing how your average Joe So searches search engines compared to rankings "achieved" by those who manage to get the organisations name in via plugging the link in a blog - big difference.

Businesses don't realise it. They will sooner or later though, when they realise the cash they invested to get a website and SEO "dirt cheap" hasn't been successful as they expected.

Back to Omniserve, good marketing by coming on here and doing such a competition giving away something quick and cheap to the community. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

What if the customer requires real time database functionality or facilities in excess of a 5 page website??? What happens if the customer buys the 5 page/60 minute site and then wants e-commerce capability on their site??? The 5 page static site in 60 minutes is grand but anyone serious about trading via the internet will need substantially more than this level of functionality on their website...

Darragh29 wrote: »
    What if the customer requires real time database functionality or facilities in excess of a 5 page website??? What happens if the customer buys the 5 page/60 minute site and then wants e-commerce capability on their site??? The 5 page static site in 60 minutes is grand but anyone serious about trading via the internet will need substantially more than this level of functionality on their website...

I agree Darragh, these will all be features that we are looking at for our next release, thanks for the suggestions.

Regards Eoin

Eoin, I think we have met back in your IIA days. I think I might have even bought you lunch and a pint aswell. So maybe you owe me one. To be honest its a credit the amount of marketing you have actually achieved over this.

Fair enough Phil, I am on holidays next week but drop me an email eoin@omniserve.ie and I will be happy to return the compliment of lunch.

Re the marketing, I have put a lot of effort into the Omniserve concept including the "Invisible Staff Member" (see the latest version of our site http://omniserve.digiweb.ie/ which includes this) to try and get the reality of what a website can do across to those 45,000 odd small 1 -2 man bands that don't have a website and are frustrated with the current methods of website delivery (see www.eoincostello.com/omniserve/Website-frustration.doc ,quotes taken from ISME EBusiness survey and our own feasibility study).

Regards Eoin

Just by way of a final word, I am currently writing up the research findings from work we did as part of the Omniserve feasibility study. We made some very interesting findings in the area of cognitive psychology and how people use websites. Trials we carried out with a prototype we built achieved conversion rates approximately 45% higher than traditional websites.

Once completed I am happy to share our findings with the Irish Internet community and will post them here.

I'm off on holidays now for a bit :0)

Regards Eoin

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Just by way of a final word, I am currently writing up the research findings from work we did as part of the Omniserve feasibility study. We made some very interesting findings in the area of cognitive psychology and how people use websites. Trials we carried out with a prototype we built achieved conversion rates approximately 45% higher than traditional websites.

Once completed I am happy to share our findings with the Irish Internet community and will post them here.

I'm off on holidays now for a bit :0)

Regards Eoin

I hope you wont be offended by this, but, to be fair - the designs your company comes up with are nowhere near as good as some of the more expensive company's out there. Plus, I am nearly sure that research has been went into what makes a successful website - and a poor design isn't what they suggest. Sure you manage to pull some good rankings in a cheap way, but that's not what other SEO services offer. Sure you need a website (small businesses) but its important to get a professional looking website that aims to please.

I am all for your type of service if people don't have the time or money to splash out on a proper website but I think you wont get many, if any, company's droping prices to compete with you :)

Good to see you posting though, and offering something to the community at Boards. Stay around - I think people can learn a lot from you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Fergal C

I know I'm too late but anyway;

Irish small businesses need a website now more than ever because business is global.

Irish small businesses need a website now more than ever because your customers expect it (and will not take you seriously if you don't have an online presence).

Irish small businesses need a website now more than ever because your target market spends more time online than watching TV (I've seen figures to back this up for certain age groups, but unfortunately can't remember the source).

I'd like to wish Eoin and his team the best of luck with this venture. I'm delighted to see an Irish company introduce this innovative concept, i.e. connecting to client PC's and building sites as the customer views it.

The service will prove beneficial to small companies who want to get online quickly. The interactive element will be informative for clients who are unsure as to what their online requirements are and need a little prompting. It would be great to see Omniserve open up export markets with this service.

• Advertisement

Omniserve's "SEO tool" got some coverage in the back page of the SBP's Computers in Business section today. Story didn't have much bite to it though. Just mentioned that there was a bit of huff and puff on a few message boards about Omniserve's claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Omniserve's "SEO tool" got some coverage in the back page of the SBP's Computers in Business section today. Story didn't have much bite to it though. Just mentioned that there was a bit of huff and puff on a few message boards about Omniserve's claims.

Is the article available online ?

No sign of the article online but I took a photograph of it. Apolgoies about the dodgy factor.

Edit: Woops. You're going to have some rotating on that one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

No sign of the article online but I took a photograph of it. Apolgoies about the dodgy factor.

Edit: Woops. You're going to have some rotating on that one :)

Excellent cheers :D

I'm an uncultured swine ... I don't read the "stories" :D

Is anyone outside the industry taking notice ? ... well yes ... if he's writing an article about it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I need some seo done... anyone have a blog they can link from ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement