Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new retro game shp in moore st mall

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭philip graham

true not much there at the moment but like i said its only open a week or so but im pretty happy with the service he has given me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

true not much there at the moment but like i said its only open a week or so but im pretty happy with the service he has given me.

its not your shop by any chance is it?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Is this the 5 ft x 5 ft glass box with a bloke inside it with a handful of N64 and GBA cartridges?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,632 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Is this the 5 ft x 5 ft glass box with a bloke inside it with a handful of N64 and GBA cartridges?

No that's my new apartment. I couldn't bring all my stuff with me. :(

WOW i never knew the retro community was so high and mighty:rolleyes: the shop has alot more than that and i was excited that it would have more than it does when i heard of its opening but its not open long and no its not my shop i just thought i would talk it up instead of talking crap.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

WOW i never knew the retro community was so high and mighty:rolleyes: the shop has alot more than that and i was excited that it would have more than it does when i heard of its opening but its not open long and no its not my shop i just thought i would talk it up instead of talking crap.

There's talking crap and there's being realistic. Why would you talk something up if it's not going to meet people's expectations? To me that's talking crap.

At the moment from what I've heard, it doesn't really have much. Bar over inflated prices. Which is something that tends to annoy collectors who know a good approximation of how much such items should be retailing at.

Is this place an actual shop or a stall in a market? I'm confused? :confused:

o1s1n wrote: »
    No that's my new apartment. I couldn't bring all my stuff with me. :(

thats talking crap! hardly realistic. 18e for xbox360 games isnt inflated and i know they are not retro but maybe as the shop has more business prices of the retro stuff will come down. opening like that would have high costs.

i guess i can see where he is coming from since i have recently started my own business and costs can go through the roof.

and i think a small shop like that is called a kiosk.

Master of the Universe

thats talking crap! hardly realistic.

No that was at attempt at humour as I collect a lot of games. I thought it was fairly obvious. It had nothing to do with the shop. Go back and read it again.
    18e for xbox360 games isnt inflated and i know they are not retro but maybe as the shop has more business prices of the retro stuff will come down. opening like that would have high costs.

It's not retro as you said. I was talking about inflated retro game prices.

There should be no reason why the older stuff would be more expensive than the 360 games. It's not that hard to source.
    i guess i can see where he is coming from since i have recently started my own business and costs can go through the roof.

and i think a small shop like that is called a kiosk.

There's no point starting a business with stock at really high prices as nobody will buy anything and your business will collapse.

There are a lot of people, even on this forum as you've probably read, who would only be too happy to buy a shed load of old games if the prices were good. I'd even pay a little bit extra than normal for the convenience of buying something local. But not THAT much extra. There's a knack to getting prices right.

If he does, and gets the stock in and a decent premises, he could be on to a winner. Especially if he's to have interesting events like Street Fighter 2 tournaments.

But anyway, now that I think about it, I'd love to open a retro type videogame store myself. *runs to the bank to get a loan*

ok, sorry for miss understanding. i cant wait for the sft2 comps.

Master of the Universe

ok, sorry for miss understanding. i cant wait for the sft2 comps.

Me too. I'm going to try and sort out a SF2 jamma board for my cab just to practice :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Right guys (and gals), I just joined this thread and I want an honest answer: Is there any point in visiting this store yet? I'm a huge retro-gaming fan but Moore Street is well out of my way (I work over near Heuston station!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I dunno Kevster, I don't want to put somebody out of business but it's hardly worth the effort. Most of us have more at home than this guy's stock. It's not very interesting :/

Thanks, I'll give it a miss for now but will check it out in two weeks when I finish my Summer job.

By the way, nice game collection! :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I went to see this mighty emporium of retro gaming goodness and was, in a word, underwhelmed.
    The shop looks like a Houdini torture chamber, soon to filled with water and an upsidedown magician, the stock is also all a bit boring, the N64 range, for example, is made up of several common titles, including a couple of Goldeneyes.

To be truthful the stock seems to consist of little more than a few ebay auction job lots and this guy is chancing his arm.

Better to go to Cash Convertors around the corner, or ebay itself,

I won't be makong any special trips to this store again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Cash Converters? I thought that was only in England? Is there one here in Dublin?

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Cash Converters? I thought that was only in England? Is there one here in Dublin?

Yep. One in the Moorse Street Mall and one up on Thomas Street I believe. Used to be one in Santry... don't know if it's still there though.

Master of the Universe

I chanced upon one major cache of n64 games priced incorrectly in the Cash Converters on Thomas street about two years ago. They were nice enough to give them to me at the wrong price. €2 per game. For a whole box of them.

Haven't come across anything decent up there since though.

sugarman wrote: »
    Theres a cash converters in moore street mall? any use? BTW is the mall the escalators down beside lidl?

Yep that's the one... Warning... the smell of noodles down there is pretty overpowering.

I went up to take a look today.

Its a Kiosk not a shop and he isn't exactly swamped with Stock but what he has is interesting at least.

GBA games for €10 to €15, some ok titles too. A few more N64 carts around €16 again some good titles. After that he has some new DS and Xbox360 stuff at ok prices.

He is hoping to get some more stock in next week, he is a nice guy and I hope it works out for him.

Yep. One in the Moorse Street Mall and one up on Thomas Street I believe. Used to be one in Santry... don't know if it's still there though.
    Yeh, I was in the one on Thomas Street today. They have a GameBoy there for €50 and the games are only €7.50 or something. Not a huge selection though - I only saw about 5 games there. Plus, that was the only games machine that I saw for sale at the store.

Kevin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Right well after reading this forum, i decided to check out some of these shops

first of all i went to book mart/game exchange in talbot street,
    they have ps2, ps1, gamecube, original xbox, n64, sega saturn, mega drive, dreamcast and a few other games. they might have more but i didnt ask, although im planning on going there again so i will next time. there fairly priced as minmum for all games is about €15

then i went to the kiosk in moore street mall,
    not a great selection i have to say.
    when i went there, there was no one there.
    gba games are €8, original gb and gb colour are €12 (i think) and same for the n64, snes games are €16, but there was more on the floor so i didnt really see what he had, theres also some ds and xbox 360 games too, but i didnt check the prices, there was also a n64 hooked up to a tv but i dont know if hes selling it

then i went to cash converters in moore street mall,
    no consoles at all and a very very small selection of games
    they had ps2, xbox and gc games priced at €5.99 and then also some psp and xbox 360 ones too.

overall i would reccomend going to book mart/game exchange as they have lots of games and you might find something there, the kiosk is wort a look too, but there is a small selection

hope this helped! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭clickerfingers

hi guys :)

im kinda new to all this, just ressurected my old n64 and am in the process of hunting out games for it, and also interested in trying to find a good sega megadrive and games.

just wondering what the NES is that everyones talkin about here??

sorry in advance for my lack of knowledge!!

also how retro is retro for you all?? like are we talkin commodore 64 here or what?!!

The guy in Moore Street Mall has a colection of N64 games, decent titles (Perfect Dark, Golden Eye, Ocarina of time, F-Zero etc) all around €16. When it comes to megadrive + games I haven't seen very many about. The VC on Wii has some although not too many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭clickerfingers

òk thanks :)

looks in pretty good nick, bringing back a few memories of my own one, sniff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

a bit off topic but i recently got a snes but i dont know if it works or not,
    i have no games but when i plug it in and turn it on the power light doesnt come on, ill change the fuse in the plug and see if that helps, but is there anything else i should check? thanks! :)

Master of the Universe

a bit off topic but i recently got a snes but i dont know if it works or not,
    i have no games but when i plug it in and turn it on the power light doesnt come on, ill change the fuse in the plug and see if that helps, but is there anything else i should check? thanks! :)

Try changing the fuse alright. If that doesn't work, try a different power cable.

Doesn't sound too good though! Where did you get it?

i dont have another power cable :(

i got it off some guy for free so im not at a loss if it doesnt work :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Shinji Ikari

Check this out. http://www.nintendosforsale.com/

Incidentally, I have a Snes with about fifteen games including Secret of Mana, Zelda 3, Ranma, terranigma, Super Mario world, Tuff e nuff, Actraiser, Art of fighting(import) Illusion of time,Run Saber, Street fighter 2 and Turbo version, among others. Many of these games are boxed and I think I still have the special edition metallic box for SF2 turbo. Roughly, how much is this stuff worth. Oh Yeah I also have the action replay 2 and Super Advantage arcade stick.

Advertisement