Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity Hall (2008/2009)

Options
  • 31-08-2008 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Since it's now time to pay your deposit if moving into Trinity Hall for 2008/09, and as you everyone can already find out their room number, this is a great time for everyone to make basic introductions. Here's a basic format, but do chop & change as you see fit:

Name:
    Year/Course:
    Societies/Clubs/interests:

If you have a place, you can confirm it now by paying your 250 euro deposit by credit card at
    https://tcdlocalportal.tcd.ie/pls/deposits/olp_pub.oldep.get_stud_no
    If the system recognises your details, it tells you your room number.

You can find out the Orientation Weekend programme here
    http://www.wardentrinityhall.tcdlife.ie/rooms/08-FreshersWeekend.html

Here goes for me
    Name: Aneo (Anne). I'm French and from, well, France
    Year/Course: Junior Freshman law & German law
    House: 85.09.02
    Societies/Clubs/interests: Wow, so much to do and I hear there's only 25 hours in a day in Dublin! Maybe gym at Hall for starters, and squash is anyone else is a beginner and game. And piano and guitar in the music room. I'd love to learn the harp too! And there are nice runs along the nearby Dodder river valley park. And Kilmashogue car park is a short taxi ride away and a great place for starting the Wicklow Way, and for hill walking over Two Rock and Three Rock mountains and further afield. The 65 bus takes us out to Blessington for walks, while the 17 and 18 buses take us near the seafront to Blackrock and Sandymount respectively!

I'm staying in 85.09.02 and asked for a sharing room. All I can say is that someone is going to get an awful surprise when they see me turn up on the doorstep of 85.09.02! That person can probably ease the shock by sending me a PM.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Crania

I don't think the incoming 1st Years can find out their room numbers yet, well I couldn't anyway. We're still just on a privisional list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Jimdw

aneo wrote: »
    All I can say is that someone is going to get an awful surprise when they see me turn up on the doorstep of 85.09.02! That person can probably ease the shock by sending me a PM.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Get all your sleeping/shopping/etc done before you arrive at Halls. The first month is brilliant, and you won't have time [or want to have time] for all that boring stuff.

Ps, the piano in the music room sucks, sorry to break it to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Peslo

Since it's now time to pay your deposit if moving into Trinity Hall for 2008/09, and as you everyone can already find out their room number, this is a great time for everyone to make basic introductions. Here's a basic format, but do chop & change as you see fit:

Name:
    Year/Course:
    Societies/Clubs/interests:

PEADOPHILE PARADISE!!!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Peslo wrote: »
    PEADOPHILE PARADISE!!!

i was thinking that perhaps its not a great idea posting your exact address...:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Peslo wrote:
    PEADOPHILE PARADISE!!!

Hate to break it to you, dude, but you're in college now - they're just regular old rapists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Peslo

i was thinking that perhaps its not a great idea posting your exact address...:pac:

My point exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Well I'm in house 81 anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭CaramelBear

CoolCiaran wrote: »
    I don't think the incoming 1st Years can find out their room numbers yet, well I couldn't anyway. We're still just on a privisional list.

Yep, we first years don't know our room numbers yet.. But do they send an email refusing you a room if you don't get a place? O.o
    I went thru an awful lot of trouble with that Criteria shizzle. Hopefully I'm multicultural enough for them because I am seriously not up for searching for accommodation after this >.<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 aneo

Jimdw wrote: »
    Why will people get an awful surprise?

because I'm the two-horned frog! ...that croaks troughout the night.

You get your room number when you pay the deposit.
    If you don't pay it, the room is given to somebody else.

• Advertisement

So does anyone know when the incoming 1st Years from Ireland will actually be told what room number they are in?

That provisional list on the TCD Halls website has been there for a week now. I'd just like to know for sure for sure that I'm in!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭YogiBoy

So does anyone know when we will actually be told what room number they are in?

The penny doesn't seem to have dropped. You pays your money, and you takes your choice. Reread the first post and pay up on the website. Then you know. Else they give the room to someone else on the very long waiting list. You still have a few days to pay. Or else….

Just it better not be House 85, for fear of croaking frogs! ... but you the page tells you your house and room number before you pay the deposit, so you can desist

And why be so shy about leaving your house number? Millions of people carelessly leave their full details in phone books - also with phone number - strewn all around! The whole idea of publicising where you can be contacted... is that you can be contacted. Also TH is just about as safe as can be.

because I'm the two-horned frog! ...that croaks troughout the night.

A frog?

BTW did you get the letter from Trinity Hall telling you what to do to accept a place? I'm on the provisional list and waiting for the letter. When will the provisional offer lapse? I better give them a ring tomorrow and pay the deposit tomorrow too. I don't want to loose my accommodation.
    They promised to send me an email and a letter. Haven't received neither.

I'm in the same situation as Jimdw, I'm on the Provisional List but I haven't received any letter or email about payment of deposit, etc.

Also, I tried to pay on that website but they didn't recognise my details. And the guy I arranged to share a room with also tried to enter his details and his details also weren't recognised.

I just tried to pay again on that website and yet again I wasn't allowed.

I was just told that "Student Number not a valid guest in the database", yet my CAO number is on the Provisional List....

Grrrrr! :confused:

YogiBoy wrote: »
    The penny doesn't seem to have dropped. You pays your money, and you takes your choice. Reread the first post and pay up on the website. Then you know. Else they give the room to someone else on the very long waiting list. You still have a few days to pay. Or else….

Just it better not be House 85, for fear of croaking frogs, but you only get to see that after paying up.

And why be so shy about leaving your house number? Millions of people carelessly leave their full details in phone books strewn all around!

I'm sorry mate but the penny HAS dropped. I'm just doing as I was told by TCD, i.e. waiting on my formal offer of a place in Halls to arrive in the post. Below is exactly what it says on the Halls website and it has said that since last Tuesday, which is now a week ago. And I've checked every day since then and there hasn't been a change since Tuesday.

"The provisional list of new entrants to college being offered places in Hall is now available. A formal offer will be sent out by post in the next few days. The offer of the room is not secured until the formal offer has been received and an acknowledgement returned."

As I have said, the guy who I've arranged to share a room with has also not received his formal offer so how do you expect us to pay?

Also, what the hell does 'in the next few days' mean? Like, that was last Tuesday. We should have got our formal offers by at least last Friday as that is 'the next few days' to me.

I'm sorry mate but the penny HAS dropped. I'm just doing as I was told by TCD, i.e. waiting on my formal offer of a place in Halls to arrive in the post. Below is exactly what it says on the Halls website and it has said that since last Tuesday, which is now a week ago. And I've checked every day since then and there hasn't been a change since Tuesday.

"The provisional list of new entrants to college being offered places in Hall is now available. A formal offer will be sent out by post in the next few days. The offer of the room is not secured until the formal offer has been received and an acknowledgement returned."

As I have said, the guy who I've arranged to share a room with has also not received his formal offer so how do you expect us to pay?

Also, what the hell does 'in the next few days' mean? Like, that was last Tuesday. We should have got our formal offers by at least last Friday as that is 'the next few days' to me.

I rung up Trinity Hall and they told me that letters haven't been sent out to to everyone yet and it should arrive any day this week. They said if I don't get the letter by Friday I should give them a ring.
    I also asked whether I better pay my deposit and that way secure my place for accommodation in Trinity Hall and they said I should wait for the letter telling me what to do.

I haven't received any letter or email about payment of deposit, etc.
    Listen, the instructions on the accommodation website are patently clear, and you had to navigate through accommodation earlier to even apply !
    http://www.tcd.ie/accommodation/StudentsandStaff/Students/TrinityHall/Rates/
    I tried to pay on that website but they didn't recognise my details.
    ... the instructions apply of couorse just to people with offers. If you do have a firm offer, and are sure you are entering your details correctly (don't add spaces, respect date format etc) you might want to contact the offices. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Listen, the instructions on the accommodation website are patently clear, and you had to navigate through accommodation earlier to even apply !
    http://www.tcd.ie/accommodation/StudentsandStaff/Students/TrinityHall/Rates/

... the instructions apply of couorse just to people with offers. If you do have a firm offer, and are sure you are entering your details correctly (don't add spaces, respect date format etc) you might want to contact the offices. Good luck!
    As he said, he hasn't received his offer yet..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Cost Boy!!

I rung up Trinity Hall and they told me that letters haven't been sent out to to everyone yet and it should arrive any day this week. They said if I don't get the letter by Friday I should give them a ring.
    I also asked whether I better pay my deposit and that way secure my place for accommodation in Trinity Hall and they said I should wait for the letter telling me what to do.

Yep they told me the very same thing today aswel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭CaramelBear

That sort of helps. They haven't sent out the letters. Phew. I've been watching the post like a hawk O.o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

If you pay your deposit online, do you still have to send back the form saying you accept the offer of accommodation, and the email?

Baza210 wrote: »
    If you pay your deposit online, do you still have to send back the form saying you accept the offer of accommodation, and the email?

Yes I should think so. Hardly onerous, and not worth taking a risk

Yes I paid the deposit several days agao, before receiving the letter... today! IF you have an offer - if you really have one - I'd guess the system will hardly refuse your good money!:D:D:D

And now today I've learnt the name of who I am sharing a bedroom with! Not that I will publish the name here, nor will I give my own name, unless others cop on and start giving their own names and houses, and a bit of info about themselves!:mad:
    That said, I suspect many prospective Trinity Hallers are having such a ball that they are not on boards. Or maybe they are lurking on Facebook or Bebo, and don't even know boards.ie exists! Which takes another question to mind... why did Bebo become such a cultural phenomenon within Ireland, as opposed to Facebook ? http://onlinepersonalswatch.typepad.com/news/2006/03/online_personal_4.html
    Finally, if anybody is on Facebook and Bebo (I'm not that social), you might invite them to here on boards.ie, and I might even find who is going to have to suffer my smelly socks for the next year.:pac::pac::pac:

I rang the Accommodation Office today and explained my situation. They were very friendly about it and said there was a lot of people ringing them who are in the same boat.

They said that they are getting the letters for the confirmation of Halls offers ready and they will be posted soon. She said to wait for the letter of confirmation before paying(not that I could pay anyway as I've already tried!). But to be honest, 'soon' in TCD could mean pretty long to the rest of us, as they told us a week ago(last Tuesday) that these letters would be sent out 'in a couple of days.'

Shall I pay the deposit online today even though I didn't get the letter from Trinity Hall?

Shall I pay the deposit online today even though I didn't get the letter from Trinity Hall?
    That's what I did... nails it in the coffin. You also get to see your house and room number before you pay, just in case you have any final doubts about the wisdom of living in a hall.

... also if you are entering your 2nd year in Trinity Hall, you don't pay a deposit (I just read), and I guess you won't be able to log on to pay it!

That's what I did... nails it in the coffin. You also get to see your house and room number before you pay, just in case you have any final doubts about the wisdom of living in a hall.

... also if you are entering your 2nd year in Trinity Hall, you don't pay a deposit (I just read), and I guess you won't be able to log on to pay it!

I was able to see my room number, I'm just thinking shall I pay.
    Anybody out there got a letter from Trinity Hall yet? What does it say int?

I'm first year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Xymetz

Where is the house 84 located in Trinity Hall? I got the apartment 01, on what flour would that be?
    Is there a map of Trinity Hall that shows where's what?

What if I want to share my single ensuit with another TCD student in Trinity Hall like for a month or longer? Will I get away with it? Is that allowed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭quirkster

im starting first year bess and my number is on the provo list and i was able to pay my deposit just there...awaiting confirmation email tho

i still havnt gotten any info regarding my presence in halls aside from the provo list but im guessing that now ive paid my deposit, im fairly secure...i hope

Advertisement