Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 1 - The Initial Selection Test

• 14-06-2008 2:00pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,631 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

This is Stage 1 of the application process to join the Police Service of Northern Ireland. Post your questions, answers, comments, information, advice or experiences here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 judgedredd

Here's a quick link to the sample questions on the consensia website for the IST.

http://www.selectnipolice.org/indexREGapp.asp?id=reg_makingappl.asp

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Canuck4PSNI

I current reside in Canada but hold dual citizenship for the UK. I have received my dates. due to being overseas it seems my initial test date is setup for the 18th of August and on the condition I pass that my assessment center date is for the 19th of August. I cant wait i got my mother (whom lives in NI) to purchase the "How to pass the National Police Selection" book as recommended here. I've been studying the book for days now and cant wait to get this over and done with.

I found this forum to be exceptional useful. I would just like to introduce myself and thank everyone in this community for all the valuable information that has been discussed. Fingers crossed if all goes well I'll be at Garnerville.

Just a piece of information I came across in the Chief constable report. The PSNI current takes part in Trainer and Student exchanges with the Ontario Police College in Aylmer Ontario Canada. Approximately 20 mins from where I live.

Again I'd like to thank everyone and to wish everyone here the best of Luck.[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/SIZE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭JVB

Canuck4PSNI. Welcome, you're in good company here and this board is invaluable for information. Especially when your in Canada :eek: Keep us posted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

I have a question....

What are you leaving Canada for? Join the police there. There really isn't much to see or do in this country. Wet summers, wet winters and insane fuel prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

I have a question....

What are you leaving Canada for? Join the police there. There really isn't much to see or do in this country. Wet summers, wet winters and insane fuel prices.

My uncle did it the other way round. He joined the RUC, then moved out to Ontario, Canada. The Canadian police force snapped him up in a flash as the police training here is suposedly far superior to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭given1

wish ya all the best for the ist and hopefully if you make it the A/c keep us informed!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

Transferring to Canada would be awesome. livin the dream baby

I have a question....

To answer you question I'm really leaving for personal reasons. The majority of my immediate family resides in NI. Canada isn't all that its cracked up to be 100km of flat land. Blistering hot summers. Blizzard like conditions during the winter. Concerning your fuel prices we too are being hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

Just a wee good luck message for your Initial Test tomorrow and I hope that you get through to the Assessment Centre on Tuesday.

All the best

PYG:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭TangoVictor

To answer you question I'm really leaving for personal reasons. The majority of my immediate family resides in NI. Canada isn't all that its cracked up to be 100km of flat land. Blistering hot summers. Blizzard like conditions during the winter. Concerning your fuel prices we too are being hit.

Concur.

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot PYGirl

Thanks a lot PYGirl, I feel confident going into it. Though 9am is no fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

Mine was 9am too, and i had to travel like 50miles!!!! :eek:

As i say all the best, keep us posted :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rob irl

what requirements do you need to have to join PSNI? eg Leaving cert? cause i don't have maths

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

rob irl wrote: »
    what requirements do you need to have to join PSNI? eg Leaving cert? cause i don't have maths

The IST is pretty tough - dont underestimate it, a fairly decent standard of education is needed - in my opinion, maths and english at GCSE or higher, sorry i dont know what the ROI/Scottish equivalent is, I know your exam structure is different.

And, again, I have it from a good reliable source, puncuation, grammar and spelling will be re-introduced for C15 - as well as the true/false/cant tell and the Data questions

And I'll be bloody doing it and all most likey!!!!!!!!!:p

rob irl wrote: »

There are no formal qualifications required. You are assessed an an Initial Selection Test (IST) which is an aptitude test. If you pass this, you are then assessed further at an Assessment Centre (AC) which tests the core competencies required in policing. You will be in one big melting pot with all folks with no formal qualifications up to degree level education. Get your app in. Good luck ;)

Leaving certs at C+ are considered to be at GCSE standard. Junior certs are below GCSE standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

JVB wrote: »
    Leaving certs at C+ are considered to be at GCSE standard. Junior certs are below GCSE standard.

Oh you are the fountain of all knowledge. I worship at your alter.....LOL

Yes, I have a multitude of information in my cranium; not a lot of it will ever be useful :D Though I am a believer in the phrase 'those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Transit1

DOES ANY BODY HAVE INFORMATION ON JOINING THE PSNI RESERVES....

• Advertisement

Transit1 wrote: »
    DOES ANY BODY HAVE INFORMATION ON JOINING THE PSNI RESERVES....

By reserves I am guessing you mean PSNI part time? If so, go here www.selectnipolice.org/defaultPT.asp?id=pt_homepage.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭PandaPants

I thought we got the re sults of the IST along with the a/c results... Do we not find out how badly/well we did in it then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 NewBoy19

No unfortunately not...I wanted that myself, just out of interest! But it's only the AC breakdowns we get!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 newapplicant

I was hoping someone would have a little background information on the initial selection test. I had a brief look at the practice one online.

1. How long does the test last?
    2. How many questions are asked?
    3. Presumably the IST needs to be passed before going forward to the A/C?
    4. How many people / what % fail to pass the test?
    5. What sort of marks are required to pass? (Can you still pass having got some answers wrong?)

Kind regards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MORRI

i cant remember the answer to your first 2 questions:D
    but the answer to 3 is yes, 4 I dont know and 5 I am not sure but I think they take (for example) something like the top 1000 so there may not be a definite pass mark just a certain number of people with the highest scores selected and I think this goes towards your merit number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MrFug

I had heard it said, although I'm not sure, that the pass mark is the average score, so that approximatley 50% of applicants are removed at IST stage.

It does tend to change by one or two marks each year, and there have been cases (even last year) where they changed the pass mark after people had been told they'd failed, only to be contacted and told they'd passed!

The IST is quite hard in my opinion and the pass mark is fairly high. I failed at my first attempt simply because I underestimated it. Although the "practice tests" on the Consensia websites are woefully misleading. The real IST is much, much tougher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭PandaPants

MrFug wrote: »
    I had heard it said, although I'm not sure, that the pass mark is the average score, so that approximatley 50% of applicants are removed at IST stage.

It does tend to change by one or two marks each year, and there have been cases (even last year) where they changed the pass mark after people had been told they'd failed, only to be contacted and told they'd passed!

The IST is quite hard in my opinion and the pass mark is fairly high. I failed at my first attempt simply because I underestimated it. Although the "practice tests" on the Consensia websites are woefully misleading. The real IST is much, much tougher.

I thought it was wee buns. I thought I'd fecked up because it wasn't as tough as I'd expected. Same with the A/C.

Although, I had kind of expected them to be nigh on impossible, so maybe I was just pleasently surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

i had heard that about 8000 apllied last year and about 2500 went through to the ac stage. dont quote me on that tho.

also dont go by that as i suspect for c15 there will be a lot more people applying than in previous campaigns due to this credit crunch therefore itll be harder to score in the passing percentage if that makes sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 newapplicant

Interesting - didn't realise the practice tests ended up being so much easier than the "real thing". What was so different? Can you suggest any way of preparing for the test? What is the main difficulty - is it the time constraints?

A lot of people must have struggled if they had to lower the pass mark... Sounds potentially quite awkward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭suziesaysso

the first part of the assessment is fine- just a straight forward comprehension kind of thing. the second part - analyitcal reasoning- really screwed me over, i got just under half the questions done in the time allowed, and im sure half of those were wrong!! is not explicity maths based but does require a good head with numbers, working things out quickly and reading between the lines. if i can give anyone any advice, it would be to refresh your mental arithmetic - times tables etc, so you have them in your head and don't waste time working simple things out.

Advertisement