Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Starting in Garnerville soon? Read this:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭New Recruit

Hi Lis

Thats great info, thanks a lot...Just on PE, what would a typical session be? Running, Circuits??? How long would it last?

I have a fair level of fitness, and I am training away with 4 mile runs and plenty of Core strength work, but I am want to know if this will be enough...

The PCA video doesn't look too bad, but i'm sure doing it in the allotted time is a differant matter

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭lisnsooz

Hi Lis

Thats great info, thanks a lot...Just on PE, what would a typical session be? Running, Circuits??? How long would it last?

I have a fair level of fitness, and I am training away with 4 mile runs and plenty of Core strength work, but I am want to know if this will be enough...

The PCA video doesn't look too bad, but i'm sure doing it in the allotted time is a differant matter

Thanks

mixed bag really - they like their short sprints! but they do a bit of everything over the classes so you get a good rounded fitness situ. You're doing more than I was anyway, and you get the chance to do the PCA after you start, so you know what work you need to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

What is the gym like, I heard mixed views on it. is there power rack or squat rack? Also is there any milk available to buy, I am planning to drink protein shakes as snacks when im there, might just bring up a big bottle of milk and leave it in the canteen fridge or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭JVB

ditto GCBC, tho I can't drink milk with my shakes - gives me bad guts. Not good for my room mate :D
    I heard the gym was good at G'ville, but I guess a reply from one of the current residents would be appreciated. You train a lot?

I take half milk half water just to save on milk. I train 4-5 days a week, actually hoping to compete in strongman under 105 kg next year, but need to get a bit bigger yet. Think I would go insane without being able to train

• Advertisement

That's good going mate. I just train for myself these days. Used to play a lot of rugby but knee op (conversation with Given last night) was the end of that one.
    105kg is pretty heavy. I'm some 22/3kg under that. I would think, like myself, you'll be busting to train at G'ville and frustrated if you can't.
    When's the strongman comp?

im around 95 kg right now, I train with a Guy who competes in irelands and britians strongest man so he going to get me into it. I just want to take part not expecting much just the fun of competing against people.

Just training for myself at the minute though really, trying to get deadlift, squat up, same as always.

Both those are my weakest. I pulled my lower back in work once and always seem to struggle doing these exercises now. So I try to work in other exercises to compensate. But I guess for you they're essential for the strongman. Good luck and I should see you pumping iron when I get there in Nov ;)

im not hurcules or anything but cant beat the iron, best thing i ever started!!!

hopefully see you in there too, and those famous biceps :P

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭lisnsooz

What is the gym like, I heard mixed views on it. is there power rack or squat rack? Also is there any milk available to buy, I am planning to drink protein shakes as snacks when im there, might just bring up a big bottle of milk and leave it in the canteen fridge or something?

I'm not a gym aficionado, but from what I gather they have all the stuff you'll need - I've never been lost for equipment to use anyway! There'd be a few weight lifter types wandering through G-ville, and they use the gym a lot, so it must have the stuff you're looking for! You can buy milk in the canteen, and there are fridges in the laundry/fridge rooms in the accom block, so you can stash your pints there :D

• Advertisement

Happy days im sure i'll live... probaby be too tired to go anyway from all the other training they put you through.

im not hurcules or anything but cant beat the iron, best thing i ever started!!!

hopefully see you in there too, and those famous biceps :P

lol GCBC. Yeh I saw those comments on return from my holiday and was a little bemused. I aint Mr Universe by any means. Biceps are more like a couple of eggs in a tubigrip :p

What is the official word on laptop and usb broad band? Would be handy but im thinking it might be good not having it so you cant be distracted when its time to learn stuff.

Also is this right, the first four weeks you stay all day and night and go home at weekends, after these 4 weeks you are free to come in and out everyday after training?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭conor123

would i be right in saying that if we are starting on october 12th then we wont get paid until the end of november?

trying to decide when i should quit my current job:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭jim2008

conor123 wrote: »
    would i be right in saying that if we are starting on october 12th then we wont get paid until the end of november?

trying to decide when i should quit my current job:D
    Hi conor! Where did you hear that? that does not sound good:(

didnt hear it anywhere. just me thinking out loud. most employers will not pay after the first month these days and make you wait 2months

would be good if we get paid end of october though

I havent even thought much about the money, wont need it really when in training, no time to spend it.

How do they decide who you share a room with, would be crazy if someone us boys ended up in the same room :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭jim2008

I havent even thought much about the money, wont need it really when in training, no time to spend it.

How do they decide who you share a room with, would be crazy if someone us boys ended up in the same room :D
    I just hope i dont have to share a room with you, with all those protein drinks you take i dread to think of the smell in that room.:D:D:D:D

jim2008 wrote: »
    I just hope i dont have to share a room with you, with all those protein drinks you take i dread to think of the smell in that room.:D:D:D:D

Actually dont let many farts rip actually. Im going to be easily recognised when I get here... i think ive said too much :D

so you will be the big guy and i will more than likely be the smallest:D
    5ft 8 and i dont weigh very much.

i quit going to the gym about 3months ago because i didnt expect it :eek:
    going to have to work my ass off over the next month and a half

• Advertisement

didnt hear it anywhere. just me thinking out loud. most employers will not pay after the first month these days and make you wait 2months

would be good if we get paid end of october though

You will get a partial pay at the end of October because you start before the 15th of the month...Start after the 15th of the month and you don't get paid until the end of the following month!

thats good news anyway. might hand my notice in then at the start of next week. i want plenty of time off to get myself into half decent shape and get everything sorted.
    only got the call yesterday and already had lost all motivation when i was at work today, and i quite enjoy my current job aswell:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Tucker86

If you're still wondering its done in alphabetical order! Obviously seperated by gender as well!

couple of questions here aimed at PSNI, but if anyone wants to jump in go ahead.

What are the two padlocks for?

I might not be driving up myself when I start, so leaving all my stuff in the car might be a problem, can you not take it in when you arrive if this is the case?

Should you bring some of your own sports wear for when in the gym or in your room, or do you have be always be in p.e kit or else uniform at all times?

What are the two padlocks for?

The cupboard in your bedroom and your locker.

I might not be driving up myself when I start, so leaving all my stuff in the car might be a problem, can you not take it in when you arrive if this is the case?

Wont be a problem, there are lots of people who don't drive/don't have a car.

Should you bring some of your own sports wear for when in the gym or in your room, or do you have be always be in p.e kit or else uniform at all times?

You are supplied with all kit, but you should bring trainers and socks as they are not provided. Also, you are allowed to wear your own clothes after you are dismissed for the day, but most people wear their PSNI tracksuit and fleece. Bring some clothe for the first 3 days residential as you are not permitted to wear uniform at this.

Look forward to seeing you at your SRN, our squad will be showing your guests around whilst the sergants and chiefs "make you welcome";).

Starting on Sunday, cant wait to get going.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Rob-117

Hey does anybody know if you pick your own room-mate?

got my welcome pack this morning. now im even more excitied:D

grrr bloody september:rolleyes:

got my welcome pack this morning. now im even more excitied:D

grrr bloody september:rolleyes:

Got mine today as well. I cant imagine someone getting it sent out and then ticking the box to say they no longer want to join, I laughed when i saw it.

Rob-117 wrote: »
    Hey does anybody know if you pick your own room-mate?

Its done alphbetically dude. You will be rooming with the guy next to you on the list...You cant choose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Wanalaugh

Guys make sure you take pe kit with you. Sometimes your stuff doesent turn up on the day, so you will need to wear your own stuff. Bring tracksuit bottoms and shorts. You will need both.
    The rooms are alocated as per your surname.
    The rooms are adorable :D

Best of luck for Sunday. Can wait to see you all when you get back from the residential :eek: then the work begins......enjoy Sunday its a total shock to the system chaps. So prepare yourself.

wanalaugh

Advertisement