Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddyosaurs?

Options
  • 13-08-2008 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

What sorts of Dinosaurs would have roamed around these parts back in the days when these parts were not islands? I used to be interested when I was younger but gave up when I heard there weren't many preserved fossils here. Is it because of the abundance of limestone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Bit of a similar thread here:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055345440

Not many dino-era fossil beds in this country I'm afraid. I heard there was a scelidosaur and maybe a couple of small theropods found up north, but data is scarce.

Across the water in the UK they've found loads. Some of the more famous ones are Baryonx, Eotyrannus, Iguanodon and Euestreptospondylus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Aye, Baryonx was one of the most famous finds across in Britain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Iguanadon was discovered by Gideon Mantel. Thats the only thing I remember from over a years worth of those Dinosaur! magazines :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Forgive my ignorance but why would there be a difference in finds from Britain and Ireland. Wouldnt they have been part of the same landmass?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Grimes wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance but why would there be a difference in finds from Britain and Ireland. Wouldnt they have been part of the same landmass?

As far as I know we were part of an island chain for most of the time of the dinosaurs. Islands tended to have their own unique dinos.

• Advertisement
Advertisement