Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M203 legality????

Options
  • 21-07-2008 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭

i ordered an M203 from an overseas retailer, it came into the country 2 weeks ago and has been in customs since. today i finally get an answer from them today saying that they were holding it pending an investigation into their legality.
    can any of the retailers or other users shed any light on this?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

First time I've heard of an M203 being stopped.
    How exactly would you chrono one of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

well tbh i've imported a m203 myself well 3 in total and never had a problem, i would say that if they have any problems then it will be them wanting to confirm that it can not be used to fire really ammunition, then again a more practical launch system could be made up out of supply's from most workshops.

i don;t think a chrono comes into this one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

First time I've heard of an M203 being stopped.

The only way to velocity test an M203 shell (the launcher has about as much effect on the bb as the outer barrel of your aeg does, ie sod all) is not using a chrono, but using a high speed camera and a scale matrix. Unfortunately, a decent high speed camera costs about the same as a decent second hand car so they're not something most people are likely to have.
    But as I said, it's the shell you'd be testing, not the launcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

I discussed the issue of the M203 system with the DoJ several months ago and assured them that they did not fire any explosive or incendiary material. When I explained how they do work (i.e. a small expulsion of gas propelling a shower or cloud of BB's) they seemed satisfied that they were no danger and nothing more was said. I assume that they havent changed their minds with regard to them since I havent heard anything to that effect.

I'd say that its most likely another case of someone not being sure and being thorough in their duty. It might be a pain in the bum but its the way of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

have to agree with Hivemind187 sounds the most likely reason, someone being over cautious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Frank the Manc

as soon as a balistics Bureau horatio pulls the trigger theyll see that is more of a push through pin as opposed to a firing mechanism it will be released.
    i wouldnt woory about it monsavage.
    hivemind do you have anything i writing from the DOJ to confirm this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Monksavage, are you a member of the IAA, and if so, have you officially asked them to intervene on your behalf?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Um... Since when is it the job of the IAA to intervene with individuals problems with customs? Infact, this thread has absolutely nothing to do with the IAA stepping in, so why are you even mentioning it?

As hivemind posted above, the word from the DoJ is there is no issue, let's just wait and see what monksavage hears back from customs first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Monksavage, are you a member of the IAA, and if so, have you officially asked them to intervene on your behalf?

he said jehova

stone him

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Tigger wrote: »
    he said jehova

stone him

first post here to make me laugh in a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

On-topic please gentlemen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

it dosent fire nything in or of itself so i'm sure they just think it looks scarey

i'm currently spray painting my pump action two tone baby blue and yellow with a red tip

I didnt bother posting about it at first since it was unrelated, but An Post have had a package of mine for the last two weeks which was apparently sitting in customs, i've finally got an answer from them today and apparently there's some queries over whether the contens are restricted under the firearms legislation, which is especially interesting since the package contains an Eotech sight, a foregrip, a piston and a sound hog. All from ebaybanned, the only thing that could possibly come under firearms legislation is the sight which I assume is where the issue is, although i'm fairly sure that once I clarify to them that it's not a real Eotech then it should be released.

Just got a call back from customs, the guy I spoke to knew it was Airsoft stuff and knew what airsoft was, so that was a nice surprise, explained to him it was a replica sight (he even seemed to know what an Eotech was) and some parts and that the sight was probably why it had been held, he said he would check it tomorrow and send it on.

monksavage: Have you had any luck with yours? Or have you spoke to anyone dealing with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭monksavage

kdouglas wrote: »

monksavage: Have you had any luck with yours? Or have you spoke to anyone dealing with it?

Got a mob number off a girl for one a the heads that reports on the inspected items and he said that he hadnt got round to it yet but had dealt with a lot of airsoft and reckoned ther would be no problem. He said that it should be sorted by early next week. Ill be on to him again monday to see what he has to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭monksavage

Latest on this is that it has been siezed by customs under section whatever of the firearms act 1926 on account of the possibility of it being converted to fire live ammunition. Since it is deemed to be illegal it the Republic of Ireland and was imported it is being siezed by customs and cannot be returned to the supplier.
    I will be appealing this decission as soon as I recieve written offical confirmation of its status.

I discussed the issue of the M203 system with the DoJ several months ago.................they seemed satisfied that they were no danger and nothing more was said.

Hivemind187 could you please Pm me the contact details of the head you spoke to in the DoJ as I will need some facts to back up my appeal.
    If anyone has any other relavent info please let us know.

Converted to fire live ammunition? Ha!

Something funny going on in customs lately, as an update to my post the other day, I had two Garda Detectives call to my door on Friday afternoon in relation to the package which I mentioned is in customs, they were very polite and basically just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be acting the maggot and that I am a genuine airsoft player.
    I explained what was in the package and it's intended use, explained that the replica Eotech sight is just a copy, and doesn't have the same features as the real thing, specifically night vision mode which the real one does have (not actually night vision afaik, merely a compatibility with NV goggles). Anyway, they asked to have a look at some of my stuff and I showed them. They also specifically asked if I had any real firearms, indicating to me that they were happy enough for me to be using this stuff on airsoft but not real guns, which makes sense.
    They also asked me about where I play and if I was belong to any organisations (being able to mention the IAA here came in handy).

Anyway, Sorry to hear you're having this kind of hassle monksavage, but hopefully some explanations of what airsoft is to the right individuals will help, unfortunately getting in contact with the correct individuals can be a pain.

Something funny going on in customs lately, as an update to my post the other day, I had two Garda Detectives call to my door on Friday afternoon in relation to the package which I mentioned is in customs, they were very polite and basically just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be acting the maggot and that I am a genuine airsoft player.
    I explained what was in the package and it's intended use, explained that the replica Eotech sight is just a copy, and doesn't have the same features as the real thing, specifically night vision mode which the real one does have (not actually night vision afaik, merely a compatibility with NV goggles). Anyway, they asked to have a look at some of my stuff and I showed them. They also specifically asked if I had any real firearms, indicating to me that they were happy enough for me to be using this stuff on airsoft but not real guns, which makes sense.
    They also asked me about where I play and if I was belong to any organisations (being able to mention the IAA here came in handy).

Anyway, Sorry to hear you're having this kind of hassle monksavage, but hopefully some explanations of what airsoft is to the right individuals will help, unfortunately getting in contact with the correct individuals can be a pain.

had they a warrant?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,531 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

had they a warrant?

it was basically a casual chat, they dont need a warrent they werent

searching or confiscating any property, they asked to see kd's guns, he could

have refused

Blay wrote: »
    it was basically a casual chat, they dont need a warrent they werent

searching or confiscating any property, they asked to see kd's guns, he could

have refused

well what if they decided to take away a bally, gloves and one of those "evil/lethal/deadly" glocks?
    all of which would be in a typical airsofters/skirmishers house.

the same 3 items that were used in that post office raid down the road.

im not saying that that would happen, but the residents permission is all thats needed for a guard and once he's in there he can do what he likes.

while he may not go the whole hog and and prepare a file for the DPP, he could nick a couple of days off you, if he so liked.

personally id be a bit un-nerved if two detectives turned up at my house asking about what i did and didnt own.

especially the line of questioing regarding any firearms, the only law against aiming devices for firearmes are for NV, thermal immaging and laser sights, so i dont see how a clone Eotech even comes into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Chuck the Buck

Lovely, just lovely.....

I'm guessing that there must be a shed load of stuff coming in now. I wouldn't fancy the cops popping 'round for a 'chat' - and I was about to order an Eotech site! Aggggaaaah!!!!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Is it an m203 they think could be converted?

You'd be better off starting from scratch if you wanted a real grenade launcher, there isn't a useful part on one that could be used.

The barrel wouldn't stand pressure, there is no conventional firing mechanism only a push pin, and well, thats all there is to it.

A useless barrel and useless firing mechanism.

It would be easier to convert cheese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭sharky0922

i see all the problems are with the Post "smart" people...
    but it looks like UPS is not doing any problems...

offtop...
    wow..i see ireland is going more and more crazy about "guns"?
    next thing you will be banning word "gun" "ammo" or "shoot" hehe..and pictures of them ...
    i see garda can.t or afraid to deal with bandits and travellers so they pickin up on normal people..
    and its reeally funny when you heard about that and then you listen to radio.." man had previus 23(!) convictions.."(case of my firend;s house guy was trying breaking in with a axe....and.. 6 months...again...)
    just big bravo..:D

had they a warrant?

I could have easily told them to go away, but they didn't come to search my house or try find evidence against me to arrest me, they came for a friendly chat and I was friendly in return, re-acting to their visit with hostility wouldn't have done me any favours.

I could have easily told them to go away, but they didn't come to search my house or try find evidence against me to arrest me, they came for a friendly chat and I was friendly in return, re-acting to their visit with hostility wouldn't have done me any favours.

i can understand that but its a little but extreme over a couple of bits an bobs for airsoft, that iv no doubt you had already expertly explained to customs.
    it would be a different if you expecting militaria or RS accessories.

i just find it a little over the top is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

:( Ohh Man, This not the kind of stuff I want to be hearing! ,I Just ordered a m203 from China aswell, uh-oh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

sharky0922 wrote: »

offtop...
    wow..i see ireland is going more and more crazy about "guns"?
    next thing you will be banning word "gun" "ammo" or "shoot" hehe..and pictures of them ...
    i see garda can.t or afraid to deal with bandits and travellers so they pickin up on normal people..
    and its reeally funny when you heard about that and then you listen to radio.." man had previus 23(!) convictions.."(case of my firend;s house guy was trying breaking in with a axe....and.. 6 months...again...)
    just big bravo..:D

Please stay on topic and try to make more sense when posting... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

just got word from ups that a package of mine had been siezed for inspection by customs.

god knows what they'll make of 2 gearboxes and a spring for a vsr.

But i agreee with the people here , customs have gotten all weird lately.
    however i notice if the items have a company name on the package , they seem to be flying thorugh.
    ( the gearboxes and springs are for myself)

gearboxes and springs? Jesus, they really are getting picky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Chuck the Buck

gearboxes and springs? Jesus, they really are getting picky.

Something must be going on that we don't know about above and beyond the usual stop everything and apply tax to it because we're skint! The last to packages I got from EbayBanned were both opened by customs - and I'm talking small jiffy bags - one with a set of 6mm bearings and the other with a front sling swivel for my M4. First thing I knew about it was when I got the packages and seen he customs tape on it.

You've got to ask the question what do they think they're at because if you're an undesirable type are you going to stick an Eotech on your sawn-off???

Whatever about an M203 (and may be KD's replica Eotech) being stopped or questioned you got to wonder what's causing them to hold springs or gearboxes?

Doings must be a transpiring around here!

Monksavage I hope it gets sorted out and you get the M203 back.

Advertisement