Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I recently got the Dragonlance Chronicles in a 2nd hand shop and I've just started volume II "Dragons of Winter Night".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Now reading Broken Angels by Richard Morgan, pretty good so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Toll the hounds-Steven Erikson.

Trying not to read to fast as it will be 18 months before Dust of Dreams is out :(

and scifi/fantasy is very light on talent of late

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Night Watch - better than the movie

Toll the hounds-Steven Erikson.

Trying not to read to fast as it will be 18 months before Dust of Dreams is out :(

and scifi/fantasy is very light on talent of late

Sci-fi has Alastair Reynolds, Neal Asher, Richard Morgan, Peter Hamilton, Ian M. Bainks, Stephen Baxter.....:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just reading the final novella in George RR Martins "Dreamsongs" anthology.

I haven't enjoyed a read that good in a long time. By way of introduction he talks through the background of all the stories, and what he was doing at the time they were written. Most of the stuff is sci-fi, and with the possible exception of the "Wild Card" stories (which were only okay), the material is all brilliant. You'd expect the earlier stuff to be dodgy, when in actual fact I thought it some of his best.

Highly recommended for those of us still awaiting "A Dance With Dragons". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

DayWatch - Book 2 of NightWatch Trillogy

Brilliant :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Just finished "I Am Legend" yesterday. Still haven't quite made up my mind about what I thought of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Farenheit 451 finding it a bit meh so far hope it picks up. Previously read Brave New World which I quite enjoyed.

Have Dune for holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

New Moon by Stephanie Meyer - I'm enjoying it, girly but enjoyable :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Working my way through the Riverworld series (again), great read I have to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

This weekend saw me get about a quarter of the way through The Neutronium Alchemist, book 2 of Peter Hamilton's Night's Dawn thingy.

It's a lot more enjoyable than book one, where the last one took sodding ages to build up, here things kick off quickly and the pace stays brisk.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Just finished "I Am Legend" yesterday. Still haven't quite made up my mind about what I thought of it.

Really like the twist in the ending in it

Neal Asher - Polity Agent, good so far.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

mcgovern wrote: »
    Neal Asher - Polity Agent, good so far.
    How does it fare next to the previous three? "Polity Agent" is next up for me in the Agent Cormac series so I'm hoping he maintains the standard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The complete collection of Arthur C Clarke Short Stories.

Heck of a (thick) book.

ixoy wrote: »
    How does it fare next to the previous three? "Polity Agent" is next up for me in the Agent Cormac series so I'm hoping he maintains the standard.

Just finished it, it was good, maybe not as good as some of the others, but worth the read. The thing that annoyed me most was changing from one charachter to another, just as something was about to happen. I know it was done on purpose, a constant cliffhanger almost, but after a few of them you just want to know what is going to happen without waiting another 30 pages.
    I was also a little disappointed in what he did with some of the charachters, but there is probably a reason for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 frenchtaxi

reading the eye of the world, book one of the wheel of time by Robert Jordan!

frenchtaxi wrote: »
    reading the eye of the world, book one of the wheel of time by Robert Jordan!
    Blood and ashes - stop now! Save yourself and don't go any further. You'll thank me later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

almost finished a book called Spellsinger to be followed up with the Chronicles of Conan.

• Advertisement

Just starting the Crimson Shadow trilogy by R.A. Salvatore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 frenchtaxi

ixoy wrote: »
    Blood and ashes - stop now! Save yourself and don't go any further. You'll thank me later.

hahaha! ITS TOO LATE! i have unfortunately reached the point where im reading it through my work lunch breaks! im completely hooked!
    why should i stop?

hahaha! ITS TOO LATE! i have unfortunately reached the point where im reading it through my work lunch breaks! im completely hooked!
    why should i stop?
    Because it's great up until book six and then you have the soul crushing disappointment of the next six with turgid plotlines and flimsy characters. And yet, by then, it's too late and you can't stop but you wish you'd never started :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

I thought the series picked up again after the whole Aiel kidnap plotline which was a bit pointless. I really like the last 2 books. Pity RJ died :( Hopefully the new writer will finish the saga well.
    ANyway, planning on getting the Book of the New Sun. Cant think of the auther atm but Ive heard good things.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Just finished re-reading the Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan.

Very good series of books.

Just finished re-reading the Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan.

Very good series of books.

Age of the Five is a good trilogy as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Just finished The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie.

If you like George RR Martin, I'd be surprised if you don't like Abercrombie, not quite as good as Martin, but has the decided advantage of being complete, so you have a great trilogy and no waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Joseph Kuhr

why should i stop?

I'm listening to the audio book right now. I don't even need to stop while I'm working :) I don't see myself going any further in the series tbh. It's a bit too immature for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Just got the last book of the saga of the seven suns in the post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 kismet80

Just finished The name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and was gutted to learn that the next book isnt out till April 09, arrrgggghhh, if i'd known that i might not have started because its such a good book that I just want to keep going and going :)

Have Sword in the Storm -David Gemmell and The lies of Locke Lamora lined up next, with Terry Goodkind - Confessor for the weekend,

David Gemmell i know and i've read loads of his books so it should be good but i'm a bit iffy about starting The Lies as i'm not sure what to expect, and i'm only reading Confessor because i've read the rest of the series and at this stage I just want it to end, the first 6 books were excellent and then it was all downhill, preachy, stuck in a rut kind of writing from there,

Advertisement