Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 3 - Vetting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

Who knows what way they work these things??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭inspector71

Seeems a bit strange having to wait on one man to approve it then. Do they not think you have been waiting long enough to get in

Yeah I agree!! Unless it's only due to 12th hols.
    Could be worse, you could phone them up and
    find out your vetting's being held up 'cause the guy
    has lost the rubber stamp!!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭JVB

Lol inspector71. I find it hard to believe that the rubber stamp on vetting is completed by one person. I mean if he's off sick, do they just wait for him/her to get better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

hi all

the impression i got was that all my vetting was in and it just needed a decision made, i love to see how there oparation works:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭uncleneilly

got vetting forms through post for c14 today, they are still vetting me(about 8 months now)for c13, phoned them just to check if they needed to be filled in again and surprise surprise they do:(, wish now i photocopied last years as some people are now advising

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭alanbelfast

Best of it is uncleneilly

Say you were vetted up to july, Then you got turned down. You start the tests again and get to the vetting forms all within 3 mths of July.........They fully re vet you ! They don't use a reference say to the vet finish point. It just begins all over again. In the military, Well years ago anyway........You got a ref at the end of the vetting so should you need re vetted then they only had to do it from that point. Again a brill idea that would save them money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

hi all

i just off the phone with vetting again, very helpfuly people, god help them from people like us:p. any ho was told that the rubber stamp man:cool: should now be back any day and if he does he make a decision on a load of people and if your in that group it will be passed on to the next people and you could get a call that day saying your in. :confused:

here hoping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭owen1976

Does anybody know at what stage of the process you can find out what your merit number is? Is it after all the A/C have been completed and the pass/fail letters have been issued?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

Its after all the Ac are complete. I would imagine sometime in September would be when they give those out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭BadCopGingerCop

Hi Folks,

just to clarify, on the vetting forms, they say they want 2 character references but not from family, past or present employers and clergy.

So who is best to give on that one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

My 2 reference are an Ex police inspector and a current constable.

Everyone will know different people etc. It is tough cause you cant use employers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭given1

Everyone will know different people etc. It is tough cause you cant use employers

i used my old principal and a family friend who is a lawyer for c13!if you have any friends/family friends who are in a 'respected position' you can use them...

owen1976 wrote: »
    Does anybody know at what stage of the process you can find out what your merit number is? Is it after all the A/C have been completed and the pass/fail letters have been issued?

on top of what gcbd said i think your vetting has to be complete aswell, they wdnt give me my score until my vetting had finished..

I got my merit number before I had vetting forms sent out

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Prepare for a surprise. Serving PSNI officers cannot stand as character references. If the Constable doesn't believe me, have him contact the Federation to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

Thanks for letting me know. The PSNI should have clearly stated that on the vetting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭faceman08

Maybe its just me, but the whole process overall doesnt seem to be very clear. i was about to send my vetting forms back tomorrow, and one of my referees is a PSNI Costable.

As if the whole process isnt long enough, this would have delayed my application further. Should be clearly stated on the vetting form.

Thanks PSNI for advising us!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭owen1976

Oh dear I'v also put down a friend of mine who is currently a serving officer!! I agree that it should have been made clear on the vetting form!!!

psni wrote: »
    Prepare for a surprise. Serving PSNI officers cannot stand as character references. If the Constable doesn't believe me, have him contact the Federation to confirm.

Yikes papayankee. If its the truth then its good Psni has told you, hope it doesnt delay things though.

what do you think it means if ive passed the a/c but yet havent received vetting forms? stuck between two things my score isnt the best or it has sonething to do with c13 which my vetting was only completed a number of months ago...

• Advertisement

Think nothing of it. So much time left to get that done. I would have to agree myself that it is likely those who scroed very well get vetting first, but what do I know.

Keep waiting is all you can really do. You passed.

Think nothing of it. So much time left to get that done. I would have to agree myself that it is likely those who scroed very well get vetting first, but what do I know.

Keep waiting is all you can really do. You passed.

just thinking that no point worrying anymore!! least i have two campaigns on the go better than nothing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭pb999

dont worry mate! you dont want to fail the medical cause you've gone mental through the recruitment process!!!

as for references i just put down two friends, i guess all they are looking for is someone who has known you for years and can dish the dirt on your deepest darkest secrets! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

pb999 wrote: »
    dont worry mate! you dont want to fail the medical cause you've gone mental through the recruitment process!!!

as for references i just put down two friends, i guess all they are looking for is someone who has known you for years and can dish the dirt on your deepest darkest secrets! :p

There have been lots of postings on the old forum that apparently referees arent even contacted!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭pb999

There have been lots of postings on the old forum that apparently referees arent even contacted!!

maybe they are contacted if your vetting is borderline, e.g. if you have motoring offences or debts that may not necessarily preclude you on their own they contact your refs to find you what type of person/character you are before making a decision?????

who knows! i'm one to try not to listen to and get worked up by the speculation on the forums and here i am speculating myself!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

given1 wrote: »
    just thinking that no point worrying anymore!! least i have two campaigns on the go better than nothing...

If I remember correctly, I got my forms a lot earlier than you in the last campaign. A campaign that you are still in the running for, while I dropped out in January. :rolleyes:

It's too early to worry about who has the forms and who doesn't. There's a long road ahead. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Rome wasn't built in blah blah blah.

carlty888 wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, I got my forms a lot earlier than you in the last campaign. A campaign that you are still in the running for, while I dropped out in January. :rolleyes:

It's too early to worry about who has the forms and who doesn't. There's a long road ahead. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Rome wasn't built in blah blah blah.

cheers carlty888, youve helped me relax about the whole vetting! i should look at the postitives rather than the negatives:)

lol thanks to pb999 aswell, dont want the blood pressure going through the roof:D lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭uncleneilly

psni wrote: »
    didn't know that myself, i used a police officer and he mustn't have been aware either, in saying that i sent it away last november and they haven't contacted any of my referees(and i just sent his name away again for vetting in campaign 14)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭JVB

I think it's been said on here before that they don't approach your referee's. I used a good friend and a work superior/mate. I mean they're hardly going to give me a poor reference are they? I don't understand why serving officers can't supply one though? :confused:
    I read somewhere that they only approach your referee's if there are concerns regarding your vetting (like integrity maybe?!?)
    I know that mine haven't been contacted and I passed vetting in April and start in Nov.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

Hi Folks

On Thursday i recieved a letter to say i had passed the a/c and the psni would be in touch for the next stages in Sept.

On the same day a freind phoned me to say he had just got a vetting letter, even though he will not find out if he passed the a/c for another 4 weeks.

Can anyone one explain why he got a vetting form?

Many Thanks

Advertisement