Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M8 - Cashel to Mitchelstown

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

yes, I had assumed that the N24 would be extended over what was the N8 to the M8 roundabout....maybe its because the current R sections are not yet the fincancial responsibility of the NRA (Im assuming that the old M'town bypass is not offically an N road as it has an 80k speed limit....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭iwudluvit

ok then - pop pickers, leaving from killorglin, kerry - will it be quicker to go thru limerick / N7 to Dublin or via mallow and N8?

in terms of miles it's presumably limerick route, but with roadworks and the timing of various bits of roads in between, would there be a chance that mallow / N8 would be quicker?

iwudluvit wrote: »
    ok then - pop pickers, leaving from killorglin, kerry - will it be quicker to go thru limerick / N7 to Dublin or via mallow and N8?

in terms of miles it's presumably limerick route, but with roadworks and the timing of various bits of roads in between, would there be a chance that mallow / N8 would be quicker?

go Limerick...theroad is not great around Mallow...if perchance you hit huge tailbacks at Nenagh, turn off for Tullamore on the N52 and then hit the M6 around Kilbeggan..... we did Kanturk to Trim in around 3 hours...maybe a shade less last Sunday...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

when i go between killarney and dublin I always go the limerick way, esp if you can skip peak times in castleisland. going via mallow, some sections of the N72/N73 are ****e. i did the mallow route once and I am not too inclined to use it again, well maybe we can get an update from someone once the M8 opens fully

ok thanks - I'm just so sick of the roscrea route that i'm willing to drive via mallow and the n8 for a change of scenery. if it wasn't too much longer and the road was better in patches, then I'd risk it.

• Advertisement

dmeehan wrote: »
    when i go between killarney and dublin I always go the limerick way, esp if you can skip peak times in castleisland. going via mallow, some sections of the N72/N73 are ****e. i did the mallow route once and I am not too inclined to use it again, well maybe we can get an update from someone once the M8 opens fully

and when would this be? there'll come a point, even for a few months or so and it'll be quciker to go this way. just wondering when it might be.

as regards n72/73 being less than top notch, i presume it's a two lane highway thing? it can't be too much worse than going thru abbeyfeale, adare, castleisland etc.

it is MUCH worse particularly just east of Mallow....

it is 10 miles futher for me via Limerick but i often go that way as the road is far supierior...Until the next M8 section opens of course...but when the M7 opens, it will be limerick for me every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

iwudluvit wrote: »
    as regards n72/73 being less than top notch, i presume it's a two lane highway thing? it can't be too much worse than going thru abbeyfeale, adare, castleisland etc.
    When you say you presume, that means that you've never traveled on it. Don't let the N rating fool you ... it's a dog, particularly between Killarney and Rathmore:eek:. The N21 is a far superior road (as it should be) IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

iwudluvit wrote:
    and when would this be? there'll come a point, even for a few months or so and it'll be quciker to go this way. just wondering when it might be.

Officially, Q4 2010. Unofficially (and this is purely a guess), I'd say Q1/Q2 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

hey are we going off the topic here, supposed to be about the n8/m8 !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

serfboard wrote: »
    When you say you presume, that means that you've never traveled on it. Don't let the N rating fool you ... it's a dog, particularly between Killarney and Rathmore:eek:. The N21 is a far superior road (as it should be) IMO.
    especially between rathmore and barrabuff, and that bridge outside barraduff is a death trap :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Reenascreena

The N8 Cashel / Mitchelstown will be officially opened by Dr Martin Mansergh at 11am on Friday, July 25 at Tincurry near Cahir.

The N8 Cashel / Mitchelstown will be officially opened by Dr Martin Mansergh at 11am on Friday, July 25 at Tincurry near Cahir.

Where did you hear that? I've been looking on the NRA and South Tipp website, but can't find anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Reenascreena

Furet wrote: »
    Where did you hear that? I've been looking on the NRA and South Tipp website, but can't find anything.

I got an invite today.

So, tomorrow's the big day. Anyone planning on driving it? I am, at least twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Heading up to the match on Sunday so will get to see it then.

yeah driving it this afternoon, opens 2pm.

Does anyone want to drive it just because? I do. I've no pressing need to be on the m8 at all today, but after watching it 'gestate' so to speak, for so long, I'm tired of waiting!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Any pics?

im driving it later and I want to drive it too, see the new road in action will speed up the journey no more relief road!

• Advertisement

I just drove it thrice. It's savage. A little bendier than I thought it would be, but actually it improves the experience.

I notice there is a wide median section close between exits 10 and 11, and that a an impressive amount of rock was blasted out for one section.

I was also impressed with the amount of traffic on the road: there were HGVs galore. If anyone had any doubts about the necessity of an M8, they should have been dispelled today.

Unfortunately, I think I was caught speeding (doing about 111km/h) by a Garda with a hairdryer about 6km south of the Cashel exit :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

ipodrocker wrote: »
    im driving it later and I want to drive it too, see the new road in action will speed up the journey no more relief road!

The new road stops on the Dublin side of Mitchelstown so you'll still have to use the relief road until the full bypass is complete early in 2009.

One thing that really annoys me along new stretches on the M8 is the proliferation of what my neighbours call "savanah". The grass simply never gets cut; it grows long and stringy and brown and looks, in a word, ugly. The NRA should cut the verges and banks regularly from May to September.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Unfortunately, I think I was caught speeding (doing about 111km/h) by a Garda with a hairdryer about 6km south of the Cashel exit :(

111 on your speedo would probably be lower, and usually the hairdryer guards have you pulled to get details - they've no photo evidence.

Shooting fish in a barrel, as a senior Guard said they weren't going to do, though
    - particularly as the road will be 120 in 8 weeks!

MYOB wrote: »
    111 on your speedo would probably be lower, and usually the hairdryer guards have you pulled to get details - they've no photo evidence.

Shooting fish in a barrel, as a senior Guard said they weren't going to do, though
    - particularly as the road will be 120 in 8 weeks!

Cheers for the ray of hope! But why would he just stand there with his hairdryer, if it's no good to him and he can neither take photos nor pursue people? (He wasn't in a car, but standing.)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Cheers for the ray of hope! But why would he just stand there with his hairdryer, if it's no good to him and he can neither take photos nor pursue people? (He wasn't in a car, but standing.)
    Guard standing on the R136 today with speed gun on tripod. He was just stepping out flagging people down if he caught them. He was stood in the junction with the R134 Nangor Road for information. You've nothing to worry about if he didn't pull you in I'd say.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

As murpaph says, he flags you down. They have you from a mad distance away.

The single time I've got caught I noticed the guard stepping out in the road in front of me before I'd noticed he was there checking (and wondered what I'd done, as I thought the road was 20km/h higher than it was :()

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Dkettle

Brilliant road, as Furet said the bends enhance it, with some great views.

There is a massive "pit lane" southbound near junction 11, looks like the Gardai will be doing some serious revenue collection there in time to come.

The real benefit will come when the Mitchelstown bypass is complete though. Driving from Dunkettle to Kilsheelan (on the N24 east of Clonmel) yesterday I negotiated 23 roundabouts in 70 miles, on the way home with the road open, 22, this will be down to 14 when the last leg opens.

I know this thread is about the fantastic progress on the N/M8 but if the plans for upgrade of the N24 ever see the light of the day it will probably make the Guinness Book of records for the number of roundabouts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Are the yellow lines solid or broken?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭childoforpheus

Are the yellow lines solid or broken?

Solid.

Advertisement