Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G Mobile Broadband Compatible Router - where to get one ?

Options
  • 06-05-2008 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I'm going to get the O2 Mobile Broadband for my parents down in Westmeath (as we have no other option except last mile...).
    I have borrowed a friends O2 USB modem and the signal is pretty OK in a particular location in the house (2 bars on HSDPA) and on Edge in most other rooms in the house.
    Ideally, I'll get a router and for the USB Modem and then they can access it anywhere in the house.
    Anyhoo...I see in the Braodband Forum charter it says :
    If your using a USB Datamodem then you will need the following:
    Dlink DIR451
    Draytek
    Does anyone know where I could get either of these modems online at a reasonable price ?
    I see a lot of Draytek's on eBay, but I dunno what model I'd need.
    I see a Dlink here but it comes to £190 including shipping.
    Is that the going rate for these ??

So any advice would be great !

Thanks !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Also - just went to the O2 website here and I see that the modem looks different now. Anybody know if this different modem will work with any of the above routers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Despite what it says, I believe you need a PCMCIA card for those models.

Edit:
    Famous last words. From draytek.co.uk

Vigor 2910 with 3.5G Data HSDPA

The Vigor 2800, 3100 and 2910 now support the addition of an optional 3.5G USB modem, providing high-speed Internet connectivity over the latest generation of cellular networks. Several UK networks already provide HSDPA data at speeds of 1.8Mb/s up to 7.2Mb/s (depending on network and modem), meaning that you can get broadband speed without a fixed line. For more information on 3.5G data, click on supporting products.

Thanks Onikage - that looks pretty good !

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The Dlink supports PCMCIA OR USB.
    A PCMCIA slot does not mean that there is or is not a USB.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Since officially the DIR-451 almost doesn't exist, that is not an issue.
    The DIR-450 is same HW but with firmware for EVDO. In fact some DIR-451's I have seen have DIR-450 as model label.

However it only supports what ever models the firmware supports. You don't install the PC drivers. E220 USB is supported as is Aircard 850 PCMCIA. I can't verify anything else and gave it back, so I can't tell you what is on the menu.

You may have to select a wierd ISP and then edit the ISP settings. The supported modems are ordered by ISP, rather than a direct list :(

Note:
    None of the Routers will work with Digiweb Modems. Digiweb supplied Routers have custom firmware that can't be changed*, so they will not work with any of the 3G modems. A bit like trying to use an analogue phone line in an ethernet socket. It will plug in, but won't go as it is different technology.

(*even I can't change it! It's the Manufacturer's security, not Digiweb's)

Well I ordered the Dovado UMR linked to by Oinkage.

Hopefully I'll get it in 2 weeks and I'll report back about it !

Cool, hope it works out for you. How much was the shipping? I couldn't find it without registering.

Here's the breakdown :
    Order Items
    Quantity 	Name 		SKU 	Price 		Subtotal
    1 	        Dovado UMR 	100309 	€106.25 	€106.25

SubTotal  : 	€106.25
    			Shipping and Handling Fee :	€20.00
    			Tax Total 		  : 	€21.25
    					    Total : 	€126.25

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wtf_m8

So did you get the Dovado? How is it??

I ordered one today as well because it supports the Huawei E169G and I have that one.

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

Dragging this thread up for anyone interested/waiting on the UMR.....I ordered the dovado from infoferenda and it arrived today...working like a dream with the 3 E220 so far, setup was very straightforward.

Hi all,
    I got mine last week and set it up with no problems whatsoever.

I brought it down to the sticks in Westmeath yesterday to my parent's place and the speed was terrrible - turned out that the speed was terrible when I connected directly to the modem also - so it wasn't the UMR.

I'm on O2 with the new E270 modem and it was a piece of cake to set up.

I actually seem to be getting better speeds with the UMR than what I get with the Modem connected to the Laptop !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wtf_m8

I got mine last Friday! Works really well with the Huawei E169G. I found the Setup Wizard very easy to use. Now we don't have to fight anymore over who gets to use the modem. It held all throughout the weekend and didn't have to restart it or anything like I do in the PC. This means bye-bye ADSL! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Hi

I have the the Vodafone e220. Onikage lined me to this thread. so I am assuming the router will work for me aswell.

Did you all buy the one in the link or a different model

Do you need PCMIA Card aswell ?

Cheers

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Hey,
    I'm going to order one of these
    http://www.infoferenda.eu/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2
    Is there any sort of antenna included or must i order one. Power supply extra as well. Oh thats crappy the way they price it. Any where cheaper to buy it.

K

Hi

Bought one a few weeks ago and its brill.

There is just the standard antenna on the back.

Couldnt figure it out for a while coz didnt know the APN name, but figured it out and its a great buy.

Cool, there is a standard antenna. Did you order the power supply or use your own?

kikel wrote: »
    Cool, there is a standard antenna. Did you order the power supply or use your own?

Came with power supply

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I have my three modem plugged into an old laptop and then use the wireless card in the laptop as the access point/Router. Fairly easy to set up via the home network wizard.

• Advertisement

snaps wrote: »
    I have my three modem plugged into an old laptop and then use the wireless card in the laptop as the access point/Router. Fairly easy to set up via the home network wizard.

You could do that, but a bit messy.

Far easier I think to buy the modem and use that wireless network.

The APN for 3 is 3ireland.ie in case anyone is wondering.
    The access number is *99#

The extras for sale on the site are just that - extras. No need to buy them.

snaps, you are absolutely right but most people don't have a spare laptop lying around! The router will also support more users with less configuration.

thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

Seems like a bit of a roundabout solution. Is there no router that just has a sim card slot? Would seem to get around the potential firmware mismatches between the two, i.e. if one of you guys has this router, then VF/O2/3 come out with a firmware upgrade for the usb stick, will the router become incompatable? A sim solution would seem most obvious to get around it.

Has anyone ever tried anything like this? http://www.amplicon.co.uk/Data-Comms/product/GSM-GPRS-Cellular-Mobile-3674.cfm

Firmware upgrades do not necessarily imply a driver upgrade. The E220 for example can have its firmware upgraded without needing a new driver on the host pc.

There are indeed routers available with built in phone radios, but they are more expensive. For example, the one you mentioned does not do HSDPA and costs £399. These cost more: http://www.jandrew-elec.com/acatalog/Sarian_Wireless_Routers.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 dhblewis

How long did it take for the router to be delivered from /www.infoferenda.eu

There's now an irish company selling them : http://shop.subnet.ie/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=52

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 dhblewis

Damn! I wish I new that before I broght it from infoferenda

How long did it take for you to get it?

About a week for me to get it from infoferenda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Seems to be €156.09 from the Irish site though including shipping and taxes. 24.50 for shipping! bit steep

Advertisement