Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M8 motorway (general thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭fitzgese

Yeah I also heard from someone working on the scheme that is should be ready by September or October, and will definitely be finished well ahead of the given Q2 2009 finish date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

With regard to classifying the N8 upgrades 'motorway', a very helpful person at the Department of Transport has informed me that the Minister received a number of objections to the proposed redesignation of HQDCs along the N/M8 route. The NRA was given an opportunity to reply to the objections, which it did. The objectors had until last Friday (June 20th) to respond to the NRA's assurances, and a number did.

So, the Minister will now assess the objectors' objections, and then will decide on the matter. Presumably the redesignations will go ahead ASAP.

Furet wrote: »
    That's Cashel to Cullahill?

Sorry, yep Cashel to Cullahill

Not too sure about the Portlaoise to Cullahill section, it doesn't follow the old route so it's difficult to see going up and down to Dublin, but it will be tolled when it's done (€2 a go is the current estimate of how much it will cost, I think).

Will there the M7/8 intersection be built like the M7/9 one or will it be possible to use the motorway to go in the Cork-Limerick direction? If they allow this, are they going to build a proper free-flow interchange?

They've got the bridge over the carriageways now at the Northern end of the Cashel bypass finished. At the moment, when heading to Dublin, traffic is directed up the slip road to the roundabout at the Cashel side, and onto the old road. (It's going to be a dumbbell type interchange, with roundabouts at both sides of the bridge). The 4 merging slips also have been done (the ones onto the section of carriageway not yet open may need lines painted on them, I can't remember offhand) and if you are coming from Dublin, you are directed, from the old road, across the bridge and onto the Cashel bypass via the new slip road. It looks to be coming along fairly well. At least part of the surface on the new section of the road was tarmacked last time I was there, and lots of other sections of the road a visible on the way up to Dublin. I'll try and get some photos next time I head up to Dublin.

fitzgese wrote: »
    Not too sure about the Portlaoise to Cullahill section, it doesn't follow the old route so it's difficult to see going up and down to Dublin, but it will be tolled when it's done (€2 a go is the current estimate of how much it will cost, I think).

Will there the M7/8 intersection be built like the M7/9 one or will it be possible to use the motorway to go in the Cork-Limerick direction? If they allow this, are they going to build a proper free-flow interchange?

They've got the bridge over the carriageways now at the Northern end of the Cashel bypass finished. At the moment, when heading to Dublin, traffic is directed up the slip road to the roundabout at the Cashel side, and onto the old road. (It's going to be a dumbbell type interchange, with roundabouts at both sides of the bridge). The 4 merging slips also have been done (the ones onto the section of carriageway not yet open may need lines painted on them, I can't remember offhand) and if you are coming from Dublin, you are directed, from the old road, across the bridge and onto the Cashel bypass via the new slip road. It looks to be coming along fairly well. At least part of the surface on the new section of the road was tarmacked last time I was there, and lots of other sections of the road a visible on the way up to Dublin. I'll try and get some photos next time I head up to Dublin.

That would be great, thanks.

• Advertisement

I received the following email from South Tipp County Council today:

I refer to your email to Sean Carey in relation to the above and wish to comment as follows: -

It is hoped that the N8 Cashel / Mitchelstown Road Improvement Scheme between Cloughabreeda and Carrigane will be opened to traffic in the last week of July 2008. The initial speed limit on this section of road will be 100kph but will revert to 120kph when the road is declared a motorway, hopefully by the end of the year.

The green signage on the Cashel to Cahir road will be replaced by blue motorway signs before it is opened as a motorway and the speed will be 120kph. (Hopefully this work will be completed by the end of 2008).

The Cashel Bypass will be re-designated a motorway but 100kph speed limit will apply.

The Cashel / Cullahill Scheme is not due to open until May 2009. However, there is a good possibility that it could be opened in December 2008. The section of this scheme between Cullahill and Urlingford has already been designated a motorway and a 120kph speed limit will apply. The section, however, between Urlingford and Cashel has not been designated yet as a motorway but hopefully it will be so by the end of 2008. Again, 120pkh will apply to this section, should it be designated a motorway.

I trust that this answers your queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 RockCastle

I received the following email from South Tipp County Council today:

I refer to your email to Sean Carey in relation to the above and wish to comment as follows: -

It is hoped that the N8 Cashel / Mitchelstown Road Improvement Scheme between Cloughabreeda and Carrigane will be opened to traffic in the last week of July 2008. The initial speed limit on this section of road will be 100kph but will revert to 120kph when the road is declared a motorway, hopefully by the end of the year.

The green signage on the Cashel to Cahir road will be replaced by blue motorway signs before it is opened as a motorway and the speed will be 120kph. (Hopefully this work will be completed by the end of 2008).

The Cashel Bypass will be re-designated a motorway but 100kph speed limit will apply.

The Cashel / Cullahill Scheme is not due to open until May 2009. However, there is a good possibility that it could be opened in December 2008. The section of this scheme between Cullahill and Urlingford has already been designated a motorway and a 120kph speed limit will apply. The section, however, between Urlingford and Cashel has not been designated yet as a motorway but hopefully it will be so by the end of 2008. Again, 120pkh will apply to this section, should it be designated a motorway.

I trust that this answers your queries.
    The Townlands dont mean anything to me so am i right in understanding that from the far side of Mitchelstown to the end of the Cashel Bypass will be finished and open by the end of July?

That would really be awesome! Some day we might all enjoy the drive from Cork to Dublin!

RockCastle wrote: »
    The Townlands dont mean anything to me so am i right in understanding that from the far side of Mitchelstown to the end of the Cashel Bypass will be finished and open by the end of July?

That would really be awesome! Some day we might all enjoy the drive from Cork to Dublin!

That's right. The M8 will run from the northside of Cashel to just north of Mitchelstown by July. For 'Cloughabreeda' read Cahir; for 'Carrigane' read just north of Mitchelstown.

Good news indeed!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

fitzgese wrote: »

No, its gonna be another M4/M6 and M7/M9 affair, no access from M8 to M7 southbound, no access from M7 northbound to M8.

In fairness, traffic from Cork itself to Limerick should be using the N20 and traffic from South Tipperary to Limerick should use the N24. Its only traffic in the immediate area of the junction that will be inconvienced.

The M7/M8 Cullahill to Portlaoise scheme has its own website, available here: http://www.m7m8scheme.ie/

The Environmental Impact Statement contains drawings and specs.

• Advertisement

Here are some pictures of the Cashel to Mitchelstown M8, taken on 26 June 2008.

Image 2 shows the southern endpoint of the route - Exit 12, at Carrigane just north of Mitchelstown.

Image 7 shows the view from Carrigane looking northward.

Image 3 was taken at Exit 11, which is the exit between Cahir and Mitchelstown. Note the speed limit signage!

The Fermoy to Mitchelstown Scheme's Environmental Impact Statement - replete with maps, drawings and aerial photographs - can be viewed here: http://www.corkrdo.ie/n8_fermoy_mitchelstown_scheme_publications.php

Some photos of signage and layout

More photos, including two of Mitchelstown to Fermoy.

I spoke to a workman at the site and he said they're aiming to open it by March 2009!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Thanks for the pics! I see the NRA is on a narrow median buzz atm:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Great thread, drove Cork - Maynooth last weekend, that section open between Cashel-Cahir is excellent you really notice the time saved. Its annoying having to pay 2 tolls eventually, but i guess the old N8 will be a lot quieter for the HGVs & Local Traffic1

Some photos of Cashel to Cullahill...

and some more...

• Registered Users Posts: 35 RockCastle

That will be the job when it is ready! Some of it is ready to be lined.

Wonder will it all open in one go or will they Phase it like Cahel to Chair?

Possible hold up on the horizon with regard to Cullahill to Portlaoise lads: http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0615/laois.html

Disregard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Bards

Possible hold up on the horizon with regard to Cullahill to Portlaoise lads: http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0615/laois.html

that report is from 2005?

Bards wrote: »
    that report is from 2005?

Jesus, that's the second time today that's happened me. Apologies once more.

Some new pictures lads. Some work has been done during the week on Cahir to Mitchelstown, notably some lining and the application of cats eyes.

...and a few more.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭childoforpheus

Got a newsletter today about the Cashel - Mitchelstown project. It says they expect to open the road in late July or early August.

According to the local newspaper (Nationalist) the remaining section of Cashel to Michelstown is due to open on Friday the 25th of July.

Furet, great pics. :) I meant to get some myself, but had camera problems :mad:. Looks like you've got it covered, but I will see if I can get a few more soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

Talking to a friend of mine who works on the cashel to culahill stretch of the M8.
    He reckons it wont be open till Dec 08 at the earliest :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Fair play Furet, it's really beginning to take shape now.

Thanks lads. Yup, it looks like it's going to be July 25. I'm heading up to take another look this evening.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Cashel to Cullahill takes a bit longer to open. I plan to head up that way again during the first week of August. I just rang RoadbridgeSisk a few minutes ago and they've said November.

• Advertisement

Just back from Kilbeheny.

The Cashel to Mitchelstown section is.......complete! All is lined, marked, and signed. July 25 is D-Day.

Attached below is a photo of J12 - the southernmost start/endpoint of the scheme.

Advertisement