Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worth waiting for? - new dell inspiron laptops

Options
  • 12-05-2008 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,710 ✭✭✭

according to this article, new inspirons laptops should be out soon - would it be better to wait for these rather than purchasing now?

dell-inspiron-1x35-top.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭rubicon99

bugger, just bought 1 yesterday. looks definetley very nice :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Very 'Vaio' look!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Dartz

Reminds me of my XPs...classy. I would buy one if I hadn't already

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The flush "edge to edge" screen would be awesome...I want one!
    But my lack of job and money isn't helping things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

From the upmarket design (the form looks very similar to the XPSM1330) you'd have to assume they're going to be priced higher than the current Inspirons.

So I would wait for it if it looks like something you want (and will pay for), but go for the Inspiron if a tight budget is your main deciding factor.

Ordinarily, it's not worth waiting to 'see whats around the corner' because there's always something, no matter when you buy. But in this case, it's only a couple of weeks, so if you're not in a particular rush by all means wait and see what the craic is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Wow! Very sexy new look. Well impressed. Definitely better then the previous Inspiron look, which I was happy with myself to be honest.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Very nice styling. I like the way the media buttons have moved. I always accidentally hit them on my 9400. It looks like the speakers have moved as well, they seem to be near the screen. I hope that's the case as having them at the front of the laptop muffles the sound when you are using the keyboard/resting your hands on the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,097 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

meh. i think some of the other companies have it better in regard to asthetic design. like HP Pavillion laptops: very sexy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Is it going to be the replacement for XPS1530 or for the Inspiron? They look more like XPS.

Will you be able to configure with the same higher end specs as XPS?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Overheal wrote: »
    meh. i think some of the other companies have it better in regard to asthetic design. like HP Pavillion laptops: very sexy.

I think I must be alone in thinking that hps current styling is horrible. Everyone else I know thinks I'm stupid but I just think hp laptops are ugly.
    coldfire1x wrote: »
    Is it going to be the replacement for XPS1530 or for the Inspiron? They look more like XPS.

It's a replacement for the inspirons not the xps according to the article. There are a 14" 15" and 17" version. I'd imagine they can be configured quite high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

I think I must be alone in thinking that hps current styling is horrible. Everyone else I know thinks I'm stupid but I just think hp laptops are ugly.

I wouldn't say ugly as such but I have seen far better looking laptops out there, including the soon to be released Dell ones that are the subject of this thread. So in short I do agree with you AC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

They look great.

No doubt when they are launched they'll have the obligitory extended delivery notice attached.

coldfire1x wrote: »

Yep, the design is pretty much the same as the XPS line, Dell have been wanting to give their consumer machines a more 'upmarket' look for some time now.
    You'd have to assume they'll keep the better graphics cards for the XPS, otherwise whats the point? Although the XPS line might be going the way of the dodo eventually if you believe recent reports..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I hate the look of HP laptops, ugly looking yokes...

These new Inspirons look great, very nice looking machines...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Hold on if you can. It's always nice to have the latest machine.

Yep, the design is pretty much the same as the XPS line, Dell have been wanting to give their consumer machines a more 'upmarket' look for some time now.
    You'd have to assume they'll keep the better graphics cards for the XPS, otherwise whats the point? Although the XPS line might be going the way of the dodo eventually if you believe recent reports..
    Apparently it's only the desktop line that will be going. The laptop xps are meant to be staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Dartz

Really...

Alienware Desktops Do kind of make sense...even if they're overshiny and a bit ugly. but I'd never buy an Alienware laptop. XPS seems a bit more classy than alienware right now...

I know which one I'd rather open up at a company meeting anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭The-Rafalution

so where are the new inspirons??one was meant to be release yesterday according to the article.No mention on the dell website

Launch might be specific to one region at the moment (probably America).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

^^ Cant see on Dell US website. I dont think it's released yet.

• Advertisement

You've got to guess a brand new laptop launching 'around June' is going to be based on the new Centrino 2 (montineva) platform; the launch of that has been delayed until July/Aug apparently so probably the new Inspirons won't start shipping for a good while yet.

Doesn't a laptop need an ssd drive to use the centrino 2 badge. I can't see them worrying about centrino 2 if it requires an ssd as that will push the price up quite a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭homerjay540

almightycushion, you are thinking of 'calpella', that is the one after montineva. it's scheduled for release Q2 of 2009 according to wikipedia.

Ah yes you're right. Cheers for clearing that up. There is a lot of stuff in centrino 2 that isn't really needed by the vast majority of users. Intel turbo memory which last time I checked was pretty rubbish, ddr3 support, wimax, gigabit ethernet, the processor speed is quite high as well. I can see a lot of people who don't need these things spending more money on a centrino 2 laptop just because they would perceive a centrino laptop as rubbish and inferior even though it would be more than adequate for their needs. I guess advertising does work.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭caster

Anyone heard anything more on these new 1535/1735 Inspirons... still no official word of a release date?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

ablelocks wrote: »
    according to this article, new inspirons laptops should be out soon - would it be better to wait for these rather than purchasing now?

dell-inspiron-1x35-top.jpg

I want, I want.

Guess my 1520 will have to do me for another year or more first though!

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

Still no sign of this?

Pity I'm going to be buying a new laptop in the next couple of weeks. Was going to go for the 1525 but if I thought this would be out in the next few weeks I'd hang on for it.

The Studio laptops are now on the Dell website!!!

Haven't checked em out yet just letting you know!!

Edit: The webpage for the studios's isn't quiet loading up yet but I assume it will be available in the next few hours. You can see them on the home page anyways.

STUDIO 1535 (N0753506)
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5750 (2.0 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 Cache), Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium - English

Unit Price: € 798.99
    - € 80.00
    Includes VAT & Shipping

COMPONENTS

Base Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5750 (2.0 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 Cache)
    Microsoft Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium - English
    Enhanced Service Packs 1 Year Base Warranty
    Camera 2.0 Mega pixel Integrated Web Camera - CCFL
    Colour Choice Jet Black Colour with Matte Finish
    LCD 15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display with TrueLife™
    Memory 4096MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x2048]
    Hard Drive 250GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive
    Video Card 256MB ATI Mobility RADEON HD 3450
    Optical Devices Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Slot Load Drive including Software
    Primary Battery Primary 6-cell 56 WHr Lithium Ion battery
    Biometric Identification No Biometric Fingerprint Reader

Keyboard Internal UK English Qwerty Keyboard
    Speakers Free Dell™ A525 Speakers with Subwoofer
    Cables 1 Meter Power Cord (3 Wire) - UK
    Shipping Documents English - Documentation Studio 1535
    Standard Warranty 1Yr Limited Warranty - Collect & Return
    Dell System Media Kit Studio 1535 Resource DVD (Diagnostic & Drivers)
    Power Supply AC Adapter 90W - 3 Pin
    Wireless Networking Dell Wireless 1397 Mini Card (802.11 b/g)
    Microsoft Application Software Microsoft® Works 9.0 / English - (Does not include Microsoft® Word)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 StephenRyan

What do people think of these?

I was going to get an M1530 in a few weeks time, but now I'm not sure.

The Studio 1535 doesn't have the super high resolution screen, which I liked the look of. It is cheaper though, for similar specs.

Which of the graphics cards is better - 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450 or the 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 8600M GT ?

Advertisement