Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Riverwalk...?

• 09-06-2008 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I'm thinking of trying to get accomodation in Riverwalk for September but I'm too sure if I should stick with Riverwalk or just go with somewhere else. I hear that the Manor Village is helpful for making friends but I've heard some pretty negative things about it too. I don't know Waterford very well, I've been down there a lot with friends but I'd be lost alone and I hear Riverwalk is quite a walk to the college.
    Nobody I'm particularly friendly with wants to go to WIT so I was hoping to get a place where I can meet new people and make new friends. Can you please give me some help? =]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Riverwalk is no further from the college than Manor Village, and is a much nicer spot in my opinion.

Consider getting a room in Templars hall too. Or the apartments in Railway Square.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭brazilicious

templars hall is nearer the college,meant to be pretty nice too.. although riverwalk is apparently the place to be! its a long enough walk,well, 15/20mins (keeping in mind that i have short legs) but its graaaaaaaaaaand if youre with people...aylesbury manor is further away again but the apartments r meant to be really nice,and its beside the cinema and tesco...its a good bit closer to town...dont worry about not knowing waterford, its pretty small and youl get to know everyone (and everyting about everyone) pretty quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Hey, thought i'd give my two cents before i head to work,

As a past resident of riverwalk and a current and also future tenant of templers i can input on both places. Riverwalk when it comes to a comparision between itself and manor is the nicer in my opinion. I never lived in manor but i was there a good bit so i know what it's like there, many people have their opinions about the two and i am just another one of them people but the general consensus from past threads here on boards is that manor is the place if you're wanting t get to know other people like other first years. Manor however does get noisy at times and it is very rarely that there is one night in a week where there isn't a party that you can here , at least thats what i have read. Can't comment on that though as i never experienced that, just saying what was said. Em but manor does have the advantage of the free bus into college.

With regards to distance They are equi-distant from the college..

Riverwalk in my opinion is the nicer of the two, the houses are nicer although the walls are a bit thin. There broadband is a joke though but that can't be taken into account as manor's is the same. When i was there in my time the staff and security weren't that strict and the worst you were told was to quieten down the party a bit but i have heard from current occupants that it is simply not the case anymore and a stricter rule is being enforced.

Templers Hall where i currently reside and resided for last semester is an estate that in my opinion receives a lot of bad press for the students. There is only 5 houses in a row in the estate that caused any trouble last year, and in my opinion that was on the fault of the landlords for not making and actions to stop it. The trouble was parties, nothing serious just really pi$$ed off the residents. I find the estate lovely, don't find it noisy, but maybe i'm a heavy sleeper, it's nice to walk into on a sunny evening when everyone is out kicking around a soccer or rugby ball. I think the bad press it gets is uncalled for and is down to either a small minority of students or some disgruntled residents.

Anyway to be fair which ever way you go be it manor, templers or riverwalk you'll have a nice enough place to live and will be surrounded by students.

Good luck in your search,

Hope that helps,
    Dan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 axel-offbeat

Hey everyone,
    Thanksa bunch for the info! I'm thinking about sticking with Riverwalk and I'm defitnetly going to look into getting a room at Templars Hall! One more question though, how far are either of them from the bus stastiion or train station?

=].

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Manor Village is ideal for first years looking to make new friends. Its got a great community spirit and there is always some party you can crash and meet new people! The quality of the accommodation isnt the best and a number of people have their complaints. They have been covered in the past in many threads if you search around.

Riverwalk is very like Manor Village and is about the same distance more or less to the college compared to Manor. It probably wouldnt have the same atmopshere but the apartments seem good.

Manor has a bus going to the college, Riverwalk doesnt. Manor is closer to a bus stop then Riverwalk but both have a stop within short walking distance. Riverwalk is a few mins longer to get to the Bus Terminus or Train Station but not by very much. Its a fair walk to get to either, but if you dont mind walking it wont be a problem. If you have lots of bags, its not for walking :p

I would say that Templers is like Manor village but houses instead of apartments. There is a good atmopshere in the estate, even if the neighbours hate students and bitch about them in press and to the college. But probably not a good place for first years... get to know people and then maybe move into a house with them.

Whats getting popular and isnt that expensive is Railway Square. Very nice apartments but no reall student atmosphere at all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭brazilicious

Hey everyone,
    Thanksa bunch for the info! I'm thinking about sticking with Riverwalk and I'm defitnetly going to look into getting a room at Templars Hall! One more question though, how far are either of them from the bus stastiion or train station?

=].

walking, a fair owl trek but there are always buses in n out of the city centre, then ure grand to get to the bus station...train stations a little trickier as its over the bridge but that's like a 5 minute walk from where the bus leaves ya off so youd be grand in sunny weather!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

walking, a fair owl trek but there are always buses in n out of the city centre, then ure grand to get to the bus station...train stations a little trickier as its over the bridge but that's like a 5 minute walk from where the bus leaves ya off so youd be grand in sunny weather!!

a taxi twice a week isn't that hard on the pocket when it comes to balancing proximity to the college with the transport services. Taxi to the train on a friday costs bout 7 - 9 euro and whenever coming back on a sunday there is always stuedents headinf to share a taxi with...:D

Advertisement