Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redbrick?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

Yes, it's all back to normal. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Something failed on the failbrick for a while. All returned now I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

seemingly the newly elected chairman has resigned already...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Anarking

Redbricks back?

Oh thank god!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

wilburt wrote: »
    seemingly The Newly Elected Chairman Has Resigned Already...

I Love That Guy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Hi,

We are pleased to announce that RedBrick is back online following a disk
    failure in our primary storage array (minerva) on Tuesday evening. No data
    was lost, and the array was re-built sucessfully with a replacement disk.

We are planning to schedule downtime this Saturday to that will allow us
    to reduce the number of disks in use on minerva, meaning there would be
    spare disks available and installed in the event of future failures.

This work is dependant on re-installing severus, and creating a full backup
    of minerva in advance. More detailed notice will be given via boards/motd
    later in the week.

I must also take this opportunity to announce the resignation of our
    chairperson, robby, and explain the circumtances leading up to this.

On Friday May 16th robby told the committee over irc that he had received
    an email containing the root password that had been in use on minerva & murphy
    when RedBrick was hacked.

Robby provided this password, but told us that he had deleted the email, which
    was received from 10minutemail.com. Myself and the other admins found it
    odd that someone would go to the relative trouble of sending mail via
    this service, and that robby would delete this potential evidence.

The following Monday I emailed the committee, requesting that we hold an
    emergency meeting to dicuss this email. Robby replied, saying he would
    be unavailable for any meetings that week. Given that the semester was ending
    and people would be gone home by the next week it was decided to hold the
    meeting anyway, on the Thursday evening. This was the first meeting called
    by anyone since before the network had been compromised.

At this meeting the committee decided that in robby's absence the only
    course of action was to discuss the issue further over the email.

Late that night, cian, johan, werdz and I met robby in Fibbers. Cian, Johan and
    I expressed our discontent with the situation by telling robby he should resign.
    Whatever the circumstances, it was pretty unprofessional of us to have a go
    in public like that, and we apologise for our actions.

The following afternoon dano mailed the committee outlining our conversation
    about the email, and asking robby for more information. Robby replied to this
    email with his resignation, citing the events of the previous night as his
    primary reason.

An EGM will be held at the earliest oppertunity next semester to elect a new
    chairperson, however the committee have not decided how best to fill this
    position in the interim, and will be happy to take on board any suggestions
    from members.

All the best,
    andrew.

I'm really, genuinely disappointed in the behaviour of the admins in this situation. I can't believe how shabbily robby has been treated and to basically push him out the door before he had a chance to really take the reigns, shows the new and disappointing direction redbrick is taking.

It really has turned into a clique. Taking committee decisions in a pub? What the hell kind of behaviour is that? I'm disgusted, I've been on plenty of committees over the years, some of which contained elements where no love was lost and never have I seen such behaviour.

Robby was elected at the AGM to represent the majority of users who were present, it may not have sat well with some elements on the committee, but his treatment was uncalled for.

Robby, I'm genuinely sorry to see you go, and I really hope that whoever is elected at the proposed EGM can guide redbrick in the direction that the majority of members want it to go, as evidenced by the results at the AGM.

I've been a member of redbrick for 4 years. Year after year I got to know more and more people, but also I got to see how cliquey the place was also. The only reason I joined back up this year is because i thought I'd a project left on the server and needed to check.

I was around when the passed committee joined redbrick, amazing to see the change in particular users when they got that sought after '@' beside their name...

I doubt I will join up next semester and if I do it will only be to use the server, chat is abismal, bunch of nerds jostling for position trying to out do each other on the most futile of topics. Haha I remember being lectured about my French and how I was wrong, even though I spent 13months in France speaking French and the other person spent 3 weeks on an exchange. Funny stuff.

Anywho well said Amz. Hopefully stuff will get sorted out. Redbrick needs fresh blood and to flush the hangers on. Also free Zyox!

edit: Oh yeah and poor show on the aul hacking incident. Everyone was kept in the dark for ages.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

With behaviour like this, it shouldn't be Robby leaving.

Get to it you bunch of saps.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

Amz wrote: »
    I'm really, genuinely disappointed in the behaviour of the admins in this situation. I can't believe how shabbily robby has been treated and to basically push him out the door before he had a chance to really take the reigns, shows the new and disappointing direction redbrick is taking.

It really has turned into a clique. Taking committee decisions in a pub? What the hell kind of behaviour is that? I'm disgusted, I've been on plenty of committees over the years, some of which contained elements where no love was lost and never have I seen such behaviour.

Robby was elected at the AGM to represent the majority of users who were present, it may not have sat well with some elements on the committee, but his treatment was uncalled for.

Robby, I'm genuinely sorry to see you go, and I really hope that whoever is elected at the proposed EGM can guide redbrick in the direction that the majority of members want it to go, as evidenced by the results at the AGM.

Repost time for the boards.ie contingent!

I'd love to hear the, despite possibly drunken, reasoning behind this.
    If _I_ hacked redbrick, and I didn't (starts in c ends in # lol), I think
    as an outsider the first person I would mail would be the chairperson no?
    Obviously there is more bitter unsaid association between robby and what
    happened.

Either way, I'd like to take this opportunity to say it is a serious shame
    that robby felt he should have to resign over this.
    Finally when there was a glimmer of hope, and sincere joy among those
    associates who rejoiced when he was elected, that redbrick could be
    led once more by someone who had the best interests of the community at
    heart then only to see it crushed before the man had a chance of showing
    us what he was capable of without the new term having even of begun really
    is a stomach churning upset.

Someone who a good few of us put a lot of faith in and were so happy to see
    elected, only to see him being pushed more and more out by the admins (who,
    in my opinion, made no secret of letting it known they didn't want him
    in their exclusive clique) and finally done off by drunken ****e talking.

A real pity.

RIP the brick that could have been.
    Thank you robby for standing up that day and actually running when you
    were nominated. It made a lot of us happy that you got voted in to something
    we had lost a lot of faith in.

I'd really like robby to reconsider his choice to leave. The admins and the "cool kids" on #lobby might not support him, but a lot more people outside of this circle do.

Let's see how things go from here.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I definitely second most of what's been said.

Also, that I think Redbrick needs to get an outside hand in to help guide the society, because obviously the current committee and most definitely the current admins are unable to do their jobs. SPC rep or something. Because otherwise, Redbrick is doomed.

On a slightly seperate although related note, it seems entirely unfair that every detail of robbys resignation was told by the committee, when NONE of the other relevant information on the previous hack were shared with the society. I think it is the responsibility of the the cmte to share those details with the greater community in order to safegaurd against gossip/misinformation and to encourage openness among the society in general.

• Advertisement

but its redbrick, if they didnt have their sekrets theyd just be normal users... they certainly dont wanna do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

The purpose of going into so much detail in the email was in an attempt to be open with members. Transparency imo is important so as not to exclude members from the running of the society. Had we said nothing in the email apart from "we don't have a chair" then I think we'd have the exact same outrage. The email admitted that the behaviour was unprofessional. We're not trying to hide anything. The email was approved by the committee so I guess that was poor judgement on all our parts.

The admins, past and present, spent a lot of their spare time working on restoring everything after the whole security issue and I don't think that many of you appreciate the work they put in, instead choosing to insult them at every available opportunity. No wonder there's issues filling in positions on committee. It's a totally thankless job.

I wasnt trying to be cheeky with what I said, but I meant it. There is an elitism that goes on in RB. You'd be blind if you didn't notice it. When that lil ops symbol goes beside their name everything changes.
    I didn;t attend any RB events this year, no interest. RB may be the biggest soc in DCU but we all know very few people actually stay or are active. Was the same when I was in 1st year.
    Dunno why you are mentioning the admins in relation to rebuilding the servers... nobody is debating the work that went into it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭lil_cain

Jesjes wrote: »
    I definitely second most of what's been said.

Also, that I think Redbrick needs to get an outside hand in to help guide the society, because obviously the current committee and most definitely the current admins are unable to do their jobs. SPC rep or something. Because otherwise, Redbrick is doomed.

On a slightly seperate although related note, it seems entirely unfair that every detail of robbys resignation was told by the committee, when NONE of the other relevant information on the previous hack were shared with the society. I think it is the responsibility of the the cmte to share those details with the greater community in order to safegaurd against gossip/misinformation and to encourage openness among the society in general.

We gave out pretty much everything we could about the break in, there was quite a long thread about it on boards (redbrick boards, not boards.ie). As for us being unable to do our jobs, I'd think I'm quite capable of being an admin. Running a committee, the admin team is an awful lot less good at. We're supposed to have a chair, to organise meetings and things for that. During the entire break in/everything else, I believe robby sent one email to the committee. He certainly didn't provide any type of leadership, or anything of that like. And yes, I did a terrible job of dealing with robby, and it's something I've apologised to him for, and I have no problem apologising to anyone else, or offering my resignation come the EGM.

On a further point, No one in the committe, bar myself, was in anyway out of line here. So lay off them. Attacking a group who for the most part are new on the committee, and whos involvement in this was decidedly limited, is only going to hurt Redbrick.

I think that bringing up the work the admins did during that is perfectly relevant because everyone seems to have forgotten about it and there's now crap about people wanting the admins to resign. They helped out when it was needed of them. Our chair wasn't really around for any of it and in a situation like that I think it's important to have clear leadership which RB kinda lacked. I think a lot of you are letting personal issues with each other cloud your judgement here.

lil_cain wrote: »
    No one in the committe, bar myself, was in anyway out of line here.

So why is Robby the one resigning?

no its not, your just playing the 'zomg they are doing their job card :o ' instead of acting like kings in #lobby

lil cain, the damage has been done, take this years 4th years for example... very few are active members, we started out with half the year, it dwindled as people got tired of the constant bickering and all that goes with RB. i think this is just the icing on the cake, or maybe final nail in the coffin.

personal issues? lol no, i know svan, dfens, jizmo, met a fair few guys and girls through rb who I have great time for.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

dregin wrote: »

That is an extremely good point.
    Personal issues aside, that everyone knows I have with a few on the cmte, this should be answered. And I will do my best to remain unbiased for this.

Robby was not offering leadership during the hack? This was never mentioned until now with the fibbers incident. At the time it was all a case of the admins reacted very quickly, resinstalled straight away, and were praised for this. What exactly did robby need to do with the admin team so clearly on the case?

It is coming across to most that this is a clear case of the cmte wanting robby shunned out. You're offering to tender your resignation at the next EGM? After getting locked and picking on the chairperson of the society in public? And publicly on an open forum telling people that he is not up to the job now?
    Dregin is right, robby should not be the one resigning. Lil_cain you do a lot of good work for redbrick, invest a lot of time, but behaving like that is disgraceful. You say you're sorry yet you're still acting and talking like this. You need to sort it out or leave.

You talk about harming the society? Take a step back there and look around yourself for a good long minute.

Wilburt : The latter part of the post wasn't aimed at you personally. From reading the replies on here, the web boards and in #lobby itself though it is evident that there are a lot of issues between members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭lil_cain

dregin wrote: »
    Robby is the only one who can answer that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Merchelo_

All this bickering on the boards and not being handled internally by the current committee does not surprise me.

I'd have to go with wilburt, my love for redbrick died a sad death a while ago, i never really use it for anything but the odd chat sessions now and then.
    And even then it's not really that serious.

I think the committee have to step back, and take a look at the past couple of months, and analyze things, and see what was bad, and what could be done to make it better.
    Also asking the associates for ideas and building on past successful ventures.
    Such as the xmas party a while ago which was held in the hub.

Also, i would like to see a lot more technical participation on redbrick, as in, an entire server, with easy access to set up SVN/CVS on, which has compilers on, and users can go over quota on, for the reasons of programming with approval of the admins.

Also, an internal technical library would be nice, as to how redbrick is set up, and how services are run, in case something like the hack happened again.

But this is me going off on a tangent, and back to the nature at hand, the committee has to be more professional in it's approach, which also includes pointing out the faults of a committee member in a professional manner, and give him/her time to work these issues out.

• So much drama.

I sure am glad I didn't run for re-election.

lil_cain wrote: »
    I'd think I'm quite capable of being an admin.
    No amount of technical ability can make up for blind arrogance.

I wish I wasnt in work so I could actually get around to writing my big page 5 exclusive ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

I wish I wasnt in work so I could actually get around to writing my big page 5 exclusive ...

Do tell more?

pvt.joker wrote: »
    Do tell more?
    All will be revealled later.

I hear WAF magazine might also be running a REDBRICK ROOTED SCANDEL EXCLUSIVE ... but its only rumours for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Sometimes I really wish I didn't have the internet at all.

The email I received was not to sent to my redbrick mail account, I deleted it after coming in from Fibbers (has one pub ever caused so much drama for redbrick before?) one evening and all I can say is that I made a mistake and regret it, I was drunk, It was stupid but I'll add that the email seemed like it could be malicious so that is also a factor in why I deleted it. That said, I honestly don't see what difference it would have made, there's no way in hell anyone could have been traced from the email anyway, the wording of the mail seemed quite sincere they mentioned that we should change the password asap, as it turned out the password was still being used on parts of the wiki.

Anyway, contrary to what cian has said the other two admins Andrew and Eoghan were both involved in confronting me in fibbers, while not hostile like cian they did both back him up with some lovely condescending remarks. After that night it was pretty clear to me that if they explode over something so trivial as a deleted email, then there were obviously some ill feelings on their part. So selfishly I resigned and I'm sincerely sorry to the people who elected me but I could not see myself being able to work with 3 people with nothing but absolute contempt for me.

As a quick example, after the hacking I wanted to give some input so I sent the following quick mail on April 29th just to remind Andrew to tell people how to change their password (there are noobs out there):
    I see IRC is sort of back... just when you're letting people know login is back don't forget to remind them to change their passwords and how they can do it, just in case they don't know :)

<3

To which I was sent:
    nice of you to notice

So I think that displays the type of attitude I was confronted with, they complain about me not being a leader and yet when I try to offer advice I'm rewarded with sarcasm. They didn't want or respect me as a leader, they then complain I wasn't leading them...

also on the subject of cians apology, it was hardly one:
    One
    drunken misdemeanour,(which if you want, I'll freely apologise for, as I've
    said earlier, I was out of line) does not a pattern make.

I didnt want an apology, I expected one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Thanks for the input. So now we have both sides of the story.

Looks like you were treated disgracefully, but then again this doesn't surprise me given the individuals in question.

Robby you are better off distancing yourself from redbrick, same for most of us here. It's changed and frankly what you told us there in your post, im not surprised by at all... unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Anarking

Amz wrote: »

Redbrick was a clique when I joined four years ago and has been a clique since I left three years and 11 months ago.

You're just annoyed because some clique of CHUDS has replaced you're clique of insufferable mole people

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement