Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Weekend insurance

• 06-06-2008 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi, i was just wondering does anyone know if i can get insured on a car for the weekend only? I have insurance but I'm, just literally after buying a different car and have no insurance. Other car is gone as trade in, any suggestions please? :confused:

P.s I really should of thought better bout this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

you could insure yourself with an insurance and cancel after a few days. just note that some companies will charge a cancel fee. €50 for quinn direct. so it could cost 60 to 70 quid then for the weekend, which is expensive, but will cover ya.

Ring a broker, they might be able to sort ya out, and possibly cheaper.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

So car A is insured but is now traded in for car B??
    If so just ring your insurance company and give them the details of the new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Just do a temporary transfer of your policy to the new car. I think Axa are open on Saturday morning, if you happen to be insured with them.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭younge

No its hibernian, i know i know, how stupid do i feel. I might as well just ring quinn direct tomorrow and take a policy out till monday morning, hope it works.. and its legal.

You could just give the car a really good valet etc. over the weekend! :D

If you do change insurance company, you are entitled to a pro-rata refund for the number of days left on your old policy afaik.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

does your policy cover driving op's cars with their consent??will you let yourself drive your new car for the weekend,change the details monday?

staker wrote: »
    does your policy cover driving op's cars with their consent??will you let yourself drive your new car for the weekend,change the details monday?
    If you were joking, you forget the smiley!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

With quinn, u can drive any car, even if it isn't insured by some1 else. I wouldn't bother opening a policy with them for the weekend, the dirty f3ckers will try and scam money outta u...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

op says he has insurance. he bought the car this evening i presume. all op's gotta do is beat the garage to reregistering the old car monday morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

With quinn, u can drive any car, even if it isn't insured by some1 else. I wouldn't bother opening a policy with them for the weekend, the dirty f3ckers will try and scam money outta u...

I'm pretty sure it has to be insured by someone else..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

ClioV6 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it has to be insured by someone else..

Nope, so they told me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Hibernian will be open on Saturdays. Just ring them up and transfer your insurance over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I'm afraid thats not true. Car needs to be insured.

Driving other cars

If your certificate of insurance says so, we will also cover you, the
    policyholder, for your liability to other people while you are driving
    any other private motor car which you do not own or have not
    hired under a hire-purchase or lease agreement, as long as:

1 the vehicle is not owned by your employer or hired to them
    under a hire-purchase or lease agreement;
    2 you currently hold a full European Union (EU) licence;
    3 the use of the vehicle is covered in the certificate of
    insurance;

4 cover is not provided by any other insurance;
    5 you have the owner’s permission to drive the vehicle;
    6 the vehicle is in a roadworthy condition; and
    7 you still have your vehicle and it has not been damaged
    beyond cost-effective repair.

http://www.quinn-direct.ie/documents/motor_policy_roi.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

I'm afraid thats not true. Car needs to be insured.

3 the use of the vehicle is covered in the certificate of
    insurance;

http://www.quinn-direct.ie/documents/motor_policy_roi.pdf

Thats the certificate of insurance that you have for your car. Theres a section on there that covers other cars - it's not included on policies for provisional drivers. I rang them about it a while back too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I have 3rd party, fire and theft insurance with Quinn. Can I drive other cars or would I need fully comprehensive insurance?

I have 3rd party, fire and theft insurance with Quinn. Can I drive other cars or would I need fully comprehensive insurance?

Ok it states this on your insurance certificate whether your covered or not

Mine says:
    The policyholder, if they have a full license, may also drive, with the permission of the owner, any private motor car subject to the terms and conditions of the policy.

Terms are the 'borrowed' car has to be insured.

Edit: I'm Third Party quinn /w full licence

You must have a full license or be over 25 years of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Ok it states this on your insurance certificate whether your covered or not

Mine says:

The policyholder, if they have a full license, may also drive, with the permission of the owner, any private motor car subject to the terms and conditions of the policy.

Yep, and that is what they mean by if its stated on your certificate of insurance.

I'm 3rd party, and it has this notice too, check your certificate of insurance BlackWizard to be certain. Be aware that the insurance on other cars is limited to 3rd party, even if your cover is fully comp.

I just checked my insurance policy.

Same as what Cionád posted up. I can drive other peoples cars. :)

You must have a full license or be over 25 years of age.

Not with quinn i verified i could drive my GF's car when i was 24 w full licence

• Advertisement

Not with quinn i verified i could drive my GF's car when i was 24 w full licence

Yeah.. full license OR over 25...I think you're grand on a permit when above 25?

not sure :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

Yeah.. full license OR over 25...I think you're grand on a permit when above 25?

not sure :pac:

well me thinks it has nothing to do with 25years of age, so my cer of insurance says.it saus you need to have full licence, that's all

I just checked my insurance policy.

Same as what Cionád posted up. I can drive other peoples cars. :)
    Don't fool yourself here. Your driving of he car you just bought is not covered by your policy. You are the owner, based on your signature and date on the registration document. The fact that the car may not yet be registered in your name is irrelevant.

I repeat, you are not covered by your existing policy to drive this car. You may pass a checkpoint, but if you have an accident and subsequent claim against you, your insurance company will soon discover the true scenario and will repudiate the claim.

Not your ornery onager

^^ I think the above is directed at the OP, and not me. :confused:

I have my own car and was wondering myself, how legal it is for me to hop into a mates or family members car.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,811 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I have my own car and was wondering myself, how legal it is for me to hop into a mates or family members car.

If it says it on your policy you can, but as Cionád says you only have Third party cover and even if the other car has fully comp it doesn't cover damage to the car you are driving on the driving other cars extentsion. Had to check up as was driving my Sis's car and didn't want to have to pay for the damage as I'd need another mortgage, now I have to be a passenger all the time.

^^ I think the above is directed at the OP, and not me. :confused:
    Oops. My apologies. :o

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭younge

took out quinn direct insurance and its 900 euro for the year. Hibernian charged me 1400 euro for the year. logged on to quinn direct online and gave them my details and laser details and was insured, very easy to use..:)

Advertisement