Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build log: (\/)0n0L17(-) II & HAL 1.0

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

ok well i'm pretty much finished now. Although I still have some BIOS tweaking and overclocking to do on both machines.

Here's just a close up of those sweet copper pipes
    ht93.JPG

Here was the headache that was trying to get the fan controller wired up and still not have it block any airflow.
    ht94.JPG

Here is where the first thermistor went, wedged in beside the CPU cooler
    ht95.JPG

Here is where the second thermistor went, in the gap at the top of the RAM sticks heatspreader
    ht96.JPG

and heres where the 3rd thermistor went, down beside the fins on the 8800GTX
    ht97.JPG

A shot of the rear, with the IO shield installed
    ht98.JPG

... and here it is 10 minutes later :mad: I tried booting up and... nothing, no post, no fans, nothing. I had to take the whole thing apart again and eventually narrowed the problem down to the USB connector for my HTPC remote was connected backwards.
    ht99.JPG

Here it is, booting up now, with the optical drive cover working and the fan control
    ht100.JPG

Close up of the fan controller. Have to admit, its very simple to use and looks pretty good. You can set the max temp to all the 3 temp probes and it adjusts the fan speeds automatically depending on where the temp is. It also shows HDD activity and has alarms if the temp goes too high or the fan rpms drop off
    ht101.JPG

Picture of the completed case
    ht102.JPG

Picture of Vista back up and running (finally) Lavalys is reading the idle temps as around 40'c... not sure if i'm happy with this. I might remount the HSF tomorrow with less AS5 just to be sure. I'll let the machine run over night anyway just to burn it in.
    ht103.JPG

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Very Very Very............ Nice rig man :) So much power in so little space! Its beautiful :D

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

Very classy L31mr0d. Thats looks too complicated for me to accomplish! Such little space:eek:

By the way I just got my new build, with q6600, up and running and my Quad's temps arent that great for me either. Using my Tuniq I get 35-36C idle at stock, and OC'd to 3GHz with stock volts at least one of the cores hits 63C at load (prime) and idles 40C. Meaning I have pretty much hit the temp limit already:( Well close to it at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Hendrix89 wrote:
    Very classy L31mr0d. Thats looks too complicated for me to accomplish! Such little space:eek:

By the way I just got my new build, with q6600, up and running and my Quad's temps arent that great for me either. Using my Tuniq I get 35-36C idle at stock, and OC'd to 3GHz with stock volts at least one of the cores hits 63C at load (prime) and idles 40C. Meaning I have pretty much hit the temp limit already:( Well close to it at least.

reaseat it the temps should be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Sweet build man, very ncie looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

awhir wrote:
    reaseat it the temps should be better.
    I just re-applied the AS5 (less this time) and reseated and the temps are still pretty much the same. Guess the temps are normal then. Not too happy with that. Still gonna OC as far as I can go though, bad temps or not...:rolleyes:

yeah managed to pick up a can-o-air from PC world today. So i'm going to dust out the one in my HTPC later, hopefully that will lower my temps some. Also I think i'll try smudging the TIM in this time instead of putting a line of it down the middle

ok well I reseated the HTPC's HSF last night. This time around I rubbed small amount of AS5 into the surface of both the HSF and IHS, then wiped off the excess with a lint free cloth (i.e. lens cleaner) the surface basically just looked dulled, but you could still see all of the copper. I've read that this method is good for filling in the tiny scratchs and holes on the surface but still maximises metal to metal contact between the heatsinks. I then applied the smallest line of AS5 in the middle of the IHS.

My idle temps are around 36'c now. Not great, but better than the ~42'c I was getting before. Plus I think the new fan controller i've put in place is also affecting the temps, as before I was able to get around 32'c idle, but that was when all the fans in the case where at full RPM's.

Still i don't know why i'm so worried about the temps. Theres no options in the BIOS to increase the FSB so I guess i'm stuck with 2.4Ghz on this E6600 :( I'm still looking for a cracked BIOS that allows for the FSB to be increased. If anyone knows where to get one give me a shout.

EDIT: Also I did the half hour OCCT stress test just there. My max temp was 53'c. So that's about a delta of 10'c, i'm pretty happy with that.

Note to self: In future do not perform stress tests over VNC while in work, its scary as hell when the VNC window suddenly freezes.

lolz, you network people are funny ;)

If you want a cracked bios there are a few dudes over on diy-street that do this on request. Not sure if they charge though.

What is yoru exact board anyway, ill have a quick look.

what? why are we funny?

Its a Gigabyte GA 965QM-DS2... i've done some extensive searching, not even a proper review of this board is out. Its a fairly stable board but i'd still like to at least get my CPU up to 3Ghz, i'd be happy with a load temp of 70'c on this E6600.

• Advertisement

Just searched, and all i can find is people who have the same board saying there is no way to overclock it :(

Ok small update... also can somebody move this to the logs section?

On an impulse I bought a 8800 GT off Gline. I wanted to free up the 8800 GTX that was in my HTPC so I could put it into my main rig. I usually game at 720p on the HTPC, and the wife tends to play either ROM's or Popcap games on it so it doesn't really need the grunt of the GTX. What appealed to me about Glines 8800 GT was that it already had a HR-03 GT installed. The GTX was noisy and I had to have the 2 intake fans running at a fairly high RPM to keep it even moderately cooled.

So I thought, I could drop the rpms of the intake fans, install the 8800 GT with the passive HR-03 and drastically reduce the noise of my HTPC.

What i'd forgotten is that I hate even opening my HTPC as it is so fiddly to work in and has more wires pull tied to the inside of the case then Anti has blurry photos on his phone.

My first problem... In my haste I hadn't bothered to measure whether or not the HR-03 would even fit properly. It wouldn't :(

In the below picture you can see i've cut out the bottom tray seperating the HDD rack from the rest of the case, i've also had to cut out a gap at the back to allow the HR-03 pass. I made sure not to remove any of the needed screw holes.

50.JPG

Next I had to remove a notch from one of the unused 5" trays

51.JPG

Heres a picture showing the height problem with the HR-03

52.JPG

53.JPG

The HR 03 installed

54.JPG

Why that notch was needed

55.JPG

56.JPG

Heres the funny part :confused: It was only after this that I remembered I had a 1TB Hitachi drive waiting to go into my HTPC, only now, the HDD bay that I wanted to install it into was taken up by the freekin huge HR03 :mad: I also couldn't mount it in the unused 5" bay as the stupid notch that was needed meant I couldn't screw it to the side. So I ended up having to unwire the fan controller, remove it from the case and mount the 1TB drive in the space at the back of that.

57.JPG

Heres a shot with it all cabled up again. Notice how the 8800 GT is no longer passive :( well I but it together passive and found that 8800 GT was idling at around 70'c. So I had a spare 92mm lying around so I just pull tied it to the HR03 and hooked it up to the mobo. The cool thing about it is that the fan is also made of aluminum so should aid in transfering heat from the HR03, also it only runs at around 600 rpm when the HTPC is idle as I have thermal throttling enabled.

58.JPG

just put the hard drive anywhere it will fit then put some of the hardrive fome it comes with(on the are touching the case) and cable tie it :) or stick it it or just leave it flat on the ground.

awhir wrote: »
    just put the hard drive anywhere it will fit then put some of the hardrive fome it comes with(on the are touching the case) and cable tie it :) or stick it it or just leave it flat on the ground.

space is not something I have a luxury of in this case. I tried various other locations but none of them worked good. My only other option would be to mount it to one of the side panels but then i'd have horrible scew heads visible on the outside. I'm trying to keep the external appearance as unaltered as possible.

I resent the blurry pic comment !

Anti wrote: »

resent ?

Just buy a camera a cannon s5 would do ya nicly :)

CanonS5_3q.jpg

Hey, I had a much more hilarious analogy regarding the icons on your desktop but I resorted to one about your photography skills. Plus at least I didn't slag off your sister ;)
    You should have picked the geil black dragons. Some people have had them at 130-1400mhz. Granted the timings were as loose as Awhir's sister!

:p

haha, fair point :p

haha, fair point :p

also Anti, your PM box is full, might consider emptying it ;)

L31mr0d wrote: »
    also Anti, your PM box is full, might consider emptying it ;)

Done :)

• Advertisement

slight update. After nearly 4 weeks waiting for my PSU to arrive from OCuk :mad: I finally got it along with some heatsinks for my RAM.

I picked up a 4GB kit of Mushkin XP2-8000 off memoryc.ie a couple of weeks ago to replace my XP2-6400 stuff.

The Thermalright heatsinks I got for the RAM

59.JPG

Coolermaster 1kW PSU

60.JPG

Bottle opener and sticker that came with the PSU. A pretty sweet extra imo

61.JPG

Ohh... shiny

62.JPG

The mushkin sticks with their stock heatspreaders

63.JPG

The heatsinks installed

64.JPG

Everything in the system and hooked up

65.JPG

close up of the heatsinks

66.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

nice stuff, i'm always nervous when taking off heatsinks for ram as so many people end up with the chips in their hands and i'm not one to talk but get an ol' can of air to that beautiful tuniq:D

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TonyM.

are you guys doing any overclocking?
    my qx6700 is running stable at 3600mhz fsb is 1800 mhz bus speed 450 x 8
    i have pushed it further but it tops out at 465 mhz.

The Asus Maximus board can take anything you throw at it i only have 2gb of Corsair pc 12800 ddr3 i could really push it with better ram.

The ram isnt going to help, you are probably at the limit of that chip without thinking of dice or ln2.

I'm picking up an E8500 this weekend ;)

EDIT: I realise now you where talking to TonyM. Still, i think i'm at the limit of my QX6700, at least with this chipset. Plus I want to get something new to overclock that might finally get me beyond 4Ghz

I have a nice tasty 780i ( no bent heatpipes, or loose contact blocks, and the fan is quiet :) if you want :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

savage big ram heatsinks, although i love the look of the original candz red ones. ah well.

also, what the hell is woth the bottle opener! its like they know computer builders will be forced to the drink while building....legend!:pac:

yeah my main PC has been out of action for yonks. Been throwing my spare cash into my home cinema setup. I really need to get back on it though. I've got a TJ07 I got off Anti sitting dorment in the corner.

Advertisement