Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat panels damaged due high temp?

Options
  • 14-05-2008 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

quick question

in a nutshell, the crowd who installed my panels had the system
    programmed wrong, as in the temp setting for the pump (for the flat panels)
    was set incorrectly as a result the temp on the collectors recently
    hit 141.5 deg C

the problem is solved now but would be interested to hear any views on
    this one,

Any suggestions as to how do i check & ensure the panels aren't damaged due to this high temp? (don't want to do a full pressure test again)

it seems to working normally now

Should have read the manual myself and not trust them!!!

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

You should probably check the website of the company who manufactured the panels!

I dont know if SEI have a complaints system but if the panels are damaged, you might be able to take a case against both them and the installer as they would have certified him - you should certainly let SEI know of poor quality work.

When I had panels installed the installer placed the valve on the overspill system rotated 90 degrees off, which meant, for a few days, the heat was going into the overspill as well as the tank! - Fortunately it was possible to override the valve and set it to open (closed) until he was able to get out and correct it! No installer is perfect but your problem was recklessly careless.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

homer911 wrote: »
    I dont know if SEI have a complaints system but if the panels are damaged, you might be able to take a case against both them and the installer as they would have certified him - you should certainly let SEI know of poor quality work.

No installer is perfect but your problem was recklessly careless.

thanks for the info.... nah i couldn't be bothered taking any case, imho life too short and would get more satisfaction having a good argument :D

i did as many checks as i could again this morning it seems to working
    okay (i hope) otherwise it's working great - plenty of hot water

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Firstly, at 145 deg, you wont have a problem with damage of panels, as they are .. or at least the ones i know are well able to withstand those temp.

However the fact that you were getting a reading of that temp is most likely that the flow rate of the pump was set too slow and not pumping the liquid around fast enough or possibly that the pipe from and to the panels is too small.

Rule of thumb.

The temp reading of the solar liquid should at optimum operating levels be aprox 20 degrees above the temp of the water at the bottom of the cylinder, and as the cylinder reaches a max of 75 - 80, the solar glycol should normally not go any higher than 100 - 110 degrees.

You have to remember, that the panels need to be able to withstand temps well over 100 degrees. When the system is turned off or the tank is full and hotwater is not being used, there is no circulation of the solar fluid and the temps can easily get over 145.. the boiling point of glycol solar fluid is over 145.. and when the fluid expands there is a pressure vessel sizez on the solar loop to take the expansion of the liquid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Another reason for the high temp would be if there was a leak in the connections and the system lost enough pressure to fail to circulate the coolant properly - this happend to me initially and the pump was merrily working away in the twilight hours to no effect!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

homer & snyper thanks very much for the info,

another satisfied customer i owe ye a pint of plain:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement