Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

See the old bin? There's one of them in the smoking section of The High Tide. It's painted yellow and white as was most things for when the Pope came. Is it O'connell st.? Where the NIB bank is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

humberklog wrote: »
    See the old bin? There's one of them in the smoking section of The High Tide. It's painted yellow and white as was most things for when the Pope came. Is it O'connell st.? Where the NIB bank is now.

Those bins were yellow... but that was quite a few years before the pope visited.

Nope, not O'Connell St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm going to go with Talbot St.

Mairt wrote: »
    I'm going to go with Talbot St.

Nope.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Eden quay?

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    Eden quay?

Another nope.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

The photographer's name was Tommy Ward. Here's one of Summerhill:
    Jeez, I remember summerhill when it was like that - I hated going through there as a kid, it was so dark and decrepid. I used to ask my dad to drive a different way into town.

Rashers wrote: »
    Those bins were yellow... but that was quite a few years before the pope visited.

Nope, not O'Connell St.
    Well they were more mustard than yellow. But for JP2 thay painted them bright yellow with a white stripe.
    Is pic Aston Q.?

Well they were more mustard than yellow. But for JP2 thay painted them bright yellow with a white stripe.

I wonder did he notice. ;)
    Is pic Aston Q.?

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭flynnc8

Is it Abbey street....

• Advertisement

flynnc8 wrote: »
    Is it Abbey street....

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

Dorset Street ?

Not Dorset Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Henry Street?

Henry Street?

No.

I wonder is it time to give a clue.... a little one?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Stufinnegan

Would it happen to be D'olier St

Who remembers.... or even knows where it was?

the-fun-palace.jpg

It reminds me of the Arlington Hotel for some reason, but the 'Established 1840' is what really caught my interest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is it Burgh quay?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Stufinnegan

How about Westmoreland St

Is it Burgh quay?

Spot on. Well done!

The pub with 1840 on it was the old Scotch House.

I think that's the old Bray bus to the left.

The Constable Sheehan memorial was in the middle of the road crossing just beyond the Scotch House. (junction of Hawkins St)

I'm not sure what the Fun Palace is now.

There were all kinds of amusements, as well as the old infamous fruit machines inside. And you could play roulette down in the basement... big money won and lost on that one.

In the basement they had a rifle range with .22cal rifles. Imagine having something like that in the centre of Dublin now.

They used to have an electric shock machine in there too. You dropped in your penny and drew these two metal bars together.... and as they came closer you received a progressive electric shock... the idea being to see how close you could draw the bars together before either letting go or presumably dropping dead.... I never saw anyone bring them completely together.

For anyone that remembers, the photographer would have had his back to the public toilets.... now long gone too.

Well spotted.... Burgh Quay it is.

• Advertisement

And here's a screen capture from the streaming webcam in my blog.

FunPalace.jpg

The arched windows to the extreme left is the site of the old Scotch House and the buildings beside it are the site of the old Fun Palace.

The year is 1952.... and the street is?

1952.jpg

The year is 1952.... and the street is?

1952.jpg
    It appears to be a one way which would have been fairly unusual then.

Nassau Street/Leinster Street South?

It appears to be a one way which would have been fairly unusual then.

Even Grafton St was two way then... for buses too... hard to believe eh?
    Nassau Street/Leinster Street South?

Nope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

Dame st?

Westmoreland st.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

I'm going to put them and the newer versions, taken by the kid on my site soon.

QUOTE]

Nice one, where can we see these pictures?

Punchbowl wrote: »
    Dame st?

On the money. Nice one!

I thought by cropping the pic it would last longer. In the first one above it can be seen why Wishbone or anyone would think it was a one way street.

Here's the original, taken from the bottom of Sth Gt George's St, looking towards Trinity.

Seems like all of the men except those riding bicycles are wearing hats.... even the man in the car and on the bus. Ya don't see many bowler hatted men like the one in he foreground, nowadays.

DameStreet1952-1.jpg

Anyone got an oldie or anything?

Guy with bowler looks like Steptoe. There's a lot of parcels under the arms too (sausages i bet, they loved sausages back then) but the best is the dude with the big box on's bike being followed by a boy racer(he's got dropped handle bars).
    Great pic by the way.
    Asit is that they're standing outside the central bank doesanyone knowwhat was there befor? I haven't a foggy.

• Advertisement

Dame Street would have been my initial guess but the 'one way' threw me!
    Asit is that they're standing outside the central bank
    Not really. They are standing at the intersection with South Great Georges Street. The Central Bank would be a few hundred yards down from there.

The gable end over the Inchicore bus must be Temple Lane. The next gable end over the 2nd bus must be Crow Street. If you look over the rear of the 2nd bus, there is an ornamental building. I presume that is the present day Citi Hotel at the junction of Fownes Street Upper. The present day Central Bank would be next.
    humberlog wrote:
    doesanyone knowwhat was there befor? I haven't a foggy.
    I'm open to correction on this but I think The Commercial Buildings occupied the site. I think it was taken down and rebuilt sideways where it still stands today on the eastern side of the bank plaza.

Any historian, architect or knowledgeable person able to clarify?

Advertisement