Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ballybunion thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Queenfan

Hi everyone on the BB thread. my first ever post anywhere today - I found your fascinating thread a few weeks ago and as I've been a frequent holidaymaker to Ballybunion since 1994 I enjoyed the photo's and the memories you all share.
    I was in BB over Easter weekend but it was very quiet - a mixture of the early Easter and the March weather I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

a102.gif

Three weeks without a post to the thread?!quote]
    I agree, the thread was sliding into oblivion there!!Thought i might have made it out to bally b for a drive yesterday, hadnt the time after all though.:(

a102.gif

I was thinking that outcropping it's sitting on is pretty small. Was part of the outcropping removed somewhere along the line? Or was the castle small enough to fit on the outcropping as it is now?

I would think coastal erosion has had a hand in it, im sure when the castle was first built that there was quite alot of land around it.i have no idea what iot looked like when first built though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Queenfan wrote: »
    Hi everyone on the BB thread. my first ever post anywhere today - I found your fascinating thread a few weeks ago and as I've been a frequent holidaymaker to Ballybunion since 1994 I enjoyed the photo's and the memories you all share.
    I was in BB over Easter weekend but it was very quiet - a mixture of the early Easter and the March weather I think.

Welcome to the thread, Queenfan. I hope you'll stop by here often. But as some of the regulars here can tell you, sometimes this thread gets as quiet as the village itself.

I like the quietness of Ballybunion. Quietness in The Ballybunion Thread ... not so much.

Three weeks without a post to the thread?!quote]
    I agree, the thread was sliding into oblivion there!!Thought i might have made it out to bally b for a drive yesterday, hadnt the time after all though.:(

Ah, well, many more opportunities coming with the return of spring, eh?

• Advertisement

Ah, well, many more opportunities coming with the return of spring, eh?
    Absolutly sir, it helps when you have a couple of old cars knocking around that need to be driven!Yesterday was a fantastic day weatherwise in kerry!today is even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

Just to add a post. The wind was mighty when I took this a few months ago. Still have to go down and explore those caves.

nuns.jpg

reic wrote: »
    Just to add a post. The wind was mighty when I took this a few months ago. Still have to go down and explore those caves.

nuns.jpg

I meant to go down there last July, but I couldn't see anyway down. Is there a way down from that next cove north and then you walk over to the Nun's Strand when the tide is out?

Big announcement!

One post down!

Can you feel the excitement?

The Ballybunion Thread is now ...

1,000 posts long!!

e118.gif

To celebrate, take a little drive up the Church Road and down the Cliff Road...

hdg.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paryYkirEl4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

To celebrate, take a little drive up the Church Road and down the Cliff Road...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paryYkirEl4

Congratulations on the 1000 posts.

But it looks like the roads in BallyB need a lot of work to be done on them, or was there a problem with the suspension in the car you were travelling in ?.

dh0661 wrote: »
    Congratulations on the 1000 posts.

But it looks like the roads in BallyB need a lot of work to be done on them, or was there a problem with the suspension in the car you were travelling in ?.

:D

The car was fine. It's the roads that need work.

Also, the little camcorder was one of those Flip camcorders - no image stabilization technology inside.

question for snow scorpian,i notice in your first post to this thread you were in ballyb 20 years ago, have you any photos from that time?

I meant to go down there last July, but I couldn't see anyway down. Is there a way down from that next cove north and then you walk over to the Nun's Strand when the tide is out?

I don't know of any "official" way down but when I took that picture there were a few teenagers on the beach to the right. As far as I know they went down the grass-covered cliff to the right of the picture. Wouldn't fancy slipping!

question for snow scorpian,i notice in your first post to this thread you were in ballyb 20 years ago, have you any photos from that time?

I'll have a look through the old photo album, but to be honest: don't get your hopes up. I don't remember anyone bring a camera into the village. :confused:

I know there are a few photos of the cliff walk, but it looks pretty much the same as it does now, except the fence wasn't up back then. And the photos are film, not digital, so the quality of the images isn't much.

But I'll check and see if there's anything interesting.

I don't know of any "official" way down but when I took that picture there were a few teenagers on the beach to the right. As far as I know they went down the grass-covered cliff to the right of the picture. Wouldn't fancy slipping!

Yeah, I saw some people down there last July. It wasn't until I started this thread that I found out when the tide is out, you can walk out to the base of the Virgin Rock.

I always thought the base of the rock was under water at all times.

There are some great photos of it at webshots. a90six posts in this thread, too, but I forget what name he uses here. But he certainly knows his way around a camera.

Here's one of his pics:

Virgin Rock with the tide out

Here's another very cool pic of a90six's of the rock with a couple bathers nearby

Virgin Rock from inside a cave.

Superb pictures. I'd love to be down on that beach at low tide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dominic byrne

:pac: looking for the curtin family of cliff rd ballybunion. thanks dominic
    Superb pictures. I'd love to be down on that beach at low tide.

I'll have a look through the old photo album, but to be honest: don't get your hopes up. I don't remember anyone bring a camera into the village. :confused:
    But I'll check and see if there's anything interesting.
    Thank you,its the cars that im really after to be honest, i love looking at shots of irish cars and roadscenes in the 70s and 80s:D

Thank you,its the cars that im really after to be honest, i love looking at shots of irish cars and roadscenes in the 70s and 80s:D

The only two pics I can find with cars in them are these:

633mickscarjzh834jp6.th.jpg

and

462ea9.th.jpg

What do you mean by roadside scenes? Roadsides that don't necessarily have any cars in them?

• Advertisement

Thank you for that, what i meant by roadscenes is photos with cars in them.
    The first one is a december 1964 dublin registered Austin A40,not sure what the vans are in the second picture, its a nice shot though!Thanks again:)

Found this in my travels around the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 19th Hole

.............and brought back many fond memories of Ballybunion summers. I may be a bit younger than some of the posters but will always have a place in my heart for BallyB.

Living in California now but was nice to see some old photo's - wondering if any readers would be interested in new photo's to be uploaded as I was back there last summer and took a couple of snaps:)

Would be great to see new pix. Was going to go to BB today but it's raining softly in Cork.

19th Hole wrote: »
    Living in California now but was nice to see some old photo's - wondering if any readers would be interested in new photo's to be uploaded as I was back there last summer and took a couple of snaps:)

Of course we'd be interested in seeing photos!

And welcome to the thread! I hope you'll make this place a regular stop in your travels around the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 19th Hole

A couple of photo's I took last year - much rummage and post a couple more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Queenfan

Found this in my travels around the internet.

I like this arial shot - it must be quite recent as the new leisure centre is there. The holiday homes just to the right of the new centre are where we would stay a few years back - very handy to walk into town and when the land was just empty we always seemed to be there when the circus arrived. Our kids often got the chance to feed the elephant over the garden wall! You can't say that about many holidays.

Looking forward to my next visit - I usually take plenty of photos but I have no idea how to attach them to these messages.

Queenfan wrote: »

Looking forward to my next visit - I usually take plenty of photos but I have no idea how to attach them to these messages.

Welcome to the thread, Queenfan.

And to show you what a friendly bunch we are around here, here's the well-kept secret to attaching photos to these messages:

Go to http://imageshack.us/

--> Browse

--> click the pic you want to share

--> Open

--> Host it!

--> Copy the URL at "Direct Link to Image"

--> Return to www.boards.ie

--> Post Reply

--> Above the main window, click the stamped yellow envelope (to the left of the globe and two Xs.) "Insert Image" will appear when you touch the yellow envelope.

--> a small window opens

--> paste the URL you copied from image shack into the window

--> OK (that gets rid of the small window)

--> Submit reply

--> stand back and admire the miraculous technology of the intrawebnet.com

Use this knowledge wisely to bring pleasure and happiness to the regular visitors of The Ballybunion Thread. :D

50,000 views!

e118.gif

• Advertisement

Good Lord! 80 views in 24 hours?! The thread seems to be picking up some forward momentum.

As the starter of the longest Ballybunion thread on the entire interweb. (I wonder if I can trademark that? :p ) I feel some obligation to get some fresh content posted seeings that there are a few dozen people checking in every day. And that's a somewhat daunting task for a guy living in the Bronx.

However, I have stumbled across an idea. Youtube has added a feature to their "My Account" page called "Insights." The insights page lets the owner of the account see what countries (or states in the case of America) have been looking at a particular video. That means the Insights page can be used to see where Ballybunion fans are around the world.

Since I have 18 Ballyb videos up at Youtube I figure I'd let you guys know about the insights for each of them. I don't know if I'm explaining this that well so let me just show you what I'm talking about.

The first video I posted - "Ballybunion Castle" - was about 10 months ago. It's a 44-second closeup of the castle from the observation deck facing the water.

According to Youtube, the video has been viewed by people in Europe and the US. In Europe the most views were from Ireland (not surprising), then the Netherlands and then the UK. And in America the most views were by people from Ohio, then California, then Rhode Island and Massachusetts. There were also people from New York, New Jersey, Vermont, Illinois, Georgia, Alabama, Arizona, and Washington state looking at the Castle video.

Well, that's my idea for new content to the thread. I'll work my way through all 18 videos (slowly but surely.)

Advertisement