Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legality of the imperial system

Options
  • 19-03-2008 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

I wanted to put this into the legal section but I cant get access without a password for some reason?
    Anyhow can anyone tell me simply is it legal or illegal in Ireland to sell goods with imperial measurements either only or with metric too

Thanks

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Moved from Political Theory; not sure what it was doing there.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Consumer issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

One link I found for the labelling requirements on pre-packaged food states that the measurement must be in metric units.

Dunno any more about it. Maybe another, better informed, poster can help out here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

There is a lot of complicated stuff about this.

In general, you have to sell using SI units (kg, m, l and so on).

There are exemptions for 'traditional' measures like the pint in relation to certain products, like beer.

Check out http://www.nsai.ie/index.cfm/area/page/information/LegalMetrologyFAQs

http://www.nsai.ie/index.cfm/area/page/information/Legislation

Not much information there, and the faq is not 100 percent accurate, but these are the guys who are in charge of checking weighing scales, bar measures, petrol pumps and so on. They have inspectors on the road if you have a particular concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I know in the UK they had a huge issue with the EU forcing in SI units for everything. The EU law was changed recently and they are still allowed sell in imperial, so I'd assume we are the same.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6988521.stm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I used to manage a furnishings store and while I was employed they were 'forced' to change to Metric.

I am unsure as to how forced they were, but they seemed to think they had no choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭foxhound

Del2005 wrote: »
    I know in the UK they had a huge issue with the EU forcing in SI units for everything. The EU law was changed recently and they are still allowed sell in imperial, so I'd assume we are the same.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6988521.stm

I know the EU recently changed its mind about this
    (something I think was a huge mistake) what i am wondering is in relation to Irish law and particularly the 2005 legislation

Basically what i am trying to get at is is it illegal for butchers to sell meat in LBs and for subway to sell Foot long subs in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

My understanding is that advertising meat by the lb is not allowed although there is some leeway.

Selling meat by the lb alone is illegal as I understand it. Scales showing pounds only will not have been calibrated and certified.

The subway issue sounds like it would be considerably more controversial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

With the Sub-way thing, its more of a marketing thing as it would be rare for the sub to be *exactly* 12 inches long. Also, I think they may advertise them as small and large as well as the foot long thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭foxhound

in germany they are advertised as 15cm and 30cm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I have a pub, if I want to sell pints in a 568ml glass instead of a 500ml one then I will, no matter what some European chap tells me

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I have a pub, if I want to sell pints in a 568ml glass instead of a 500ml one then I will, no matter what some European chap tells me

You must be able to do magic, 568ml in a 500ml glass:D or would you short change us:confused:;);)

The only pint that would fit in a 500ml glass is a US pint!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Sorry I should have used the word beer instead of pints

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭AlanSparrowhawk

foxhound wrote: »
    I know the EU recently changed its mind about this
    (something I think was a huge mistake) what i am wondering is in relation to Irish law and particularly the 2005 legislation

Basically what i am trying to get at is is it illegal for butchers to sell meat in LBs and for subway to sell Foot long subs in Ireland

No, because if they wanted to be pedantic as you are, they could say they are selling Beef by the .45kg and subs by 30cm.

Advertisement