Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A1 - Newry Bypass Dual Carriageway (NOW OPEN)

• 25-10-2007 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

The Roads Service of NI now has a route map on its site for the new A1 Newry Bypass DC. It will generally follow the line of the current two lane bypass starting at the Cloghoge roundabout until it reaches the Camlough Road junction. Then it heads north on a new route until swinging back to join the current A1 at the Sheepbridge junction. It also bypasses the piece of DC that currently exists just north of Newry. Completion date is projected for late 2009.

Link: http://roadimprovements.roadsni.gov.uk/beech_hill_to_cloghogue.pdf

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

Can anyone tell me what the traffic is usually like on a Friday evening at the Cloghoge roundabout. Thinking of going to Derry via Newry and Armagh instead of Monaghan and I would be interested in knowing if there would be any time savings??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Steviemak wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what the traffic is usually like on a Friday evening at the Cloghoge roundabout. Thinking of going to Derry via Newry and Armagh instead of Monaghan and I would be interested in knowing if there would be any time savings??

The last time I travelled past Newry at Rush-Hour, it was quite slow. You have the advantage of not having to pass through all the roundabouts. You may get caught in Armagh as well but it's worth a go.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Announced a route? - I thought they'd already started building this??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Work has started, the recent documents don't so much clarify the overall route as some of the detail of the junctions etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

This map only appeared in the last 2 or 3 weeks. Before that all they had up were the route selection leaflets which have been there a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

I drove up the road again today and couldn't help but notice that the travelling community have taken a liking to the new road. Work was going on today. Does anyone know whether tey will be operating on the new Newry bypass 7 days a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

nordydan wrote: »
    I drove up the road again today and couldn't help but notice that the travelling community have taken a liking to the new road.
    Oh it's open? That was quick. I guess thats the UK for you.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Oh it's open? That was quick. I guess thats the UK for you.:D

Are you calling the travellers Brits?? Oh I'll tell them that on the way back down the road. They'll tarmac your garden...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

nordydan wrote: »
    Are you calling the travellers Brits?? Oh I'll tell them that on the way back down the road. They'll tarmac your garden...
    ........rolling up in a brit reg "Motorway Maintenance" Ford Cargo flatbed tipper to do the job "for chape boss". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭cargo

I think the "Open Road" referred to here by Nordydan is the section from Dundalk up to the Cloghoge roundabout. The new bypass of the old bypass!! is only in construction at the moment.

• Advertisement

There's an update (13 Feb) on Wesley Johnston's site about this scheme. It seems archaeological sites have been uncovered along the route and no work has been done since December. The contractor is talking with the Environment & Heritage Service as to what to do next. Local politicians are very unhappy!

Link: http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads/a1beechhillcloghogue.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Heh, classic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

amacachi wrote: »
    Heh, classic.

It's the North's version of the M3!

Another update (3 March) on Wesley Johnston's site about the scheme. The cost for the project has increased from £109 million in 2006 to £152 million now. Rises in land value highlighted as one of the reasons.

Another update from Wesley Johnston's site (14 April). Work under way again after February's delays.

Another update from Wesley Johnston's site (5 May). He is wondering if the completion date is going to be Jan/Feb 2010 or Dec 2010?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭RadioCity

News from the DRD site telling of an ingenious plan to remove some rock....
    Rock excavations, by blasting, on the A1 at Cloghogue are to start next week (Monday 12 May).
    This work will cause some traffic disruption as there are strict security and safety procedures associated with rock excavation by blasting, particularly related to the transportation, placing and firing of explosive charges.

The main concentration of work will primarily be around Cloghogue Junction and blasting operations will take place up to three times a week (on Monday, Wednesday or Friday) for up to 12 months.

During each blast it is expected that traffic will be stopped on all approaches to Cloghogue Roundabout for approximately 20 minutes. Roads Service and its contractor, Amey Lagan Roads Limited would like to thank in advance all roads users affected by this work for their patience and understanding and to ask people to leave more time for their journeys.

Variable message signs will be in place advising that the blast and the expected 20 minute road closure will take place at a time between 11:00 and 15:00. This range of time is necessary to facilitate the range of security and safety procedures which must be observed although it is important to note the road will not be closed from 11:00 to 15:00.

One of the main factors dictating the time of each blast is the timetable of the Belfast to Dublin train. It is most likely for the blast and the expected 20 minute road closure to be at some point between 13:30 and 14:30.

Immediately following the blast two teams of workers will inspect the closed section of road and remove any rock debris and reopen the road to traffic as quickly as possible.

Roads Service highlight that the proposed system is the only practical one given the quantity and characteristics of the rock. The process has been successfully employed on the A1 – N1 Newry to Dundalk dual carriageway scheme.

The contract project team met with the District Council last December and explained disruption would be an inevitable consequence of this operation for traffic on each approach to Cloghogue Roundabout while the charge is fired.

There is nevertheless a financial incentive on the Contractor to minimise this disruption particularly if the closure period exceeds 30 minutes.

Queries relating to the Blasting Operations should be directed to the main construction site offices at Beechill Newry, Tel: 028 30313300.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'm sure there's plenty of people in the area with experience of "blasting" who might be persuaded to help out - could speed things up a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

loyatemu wrote: »
    I'm sure there's plenty of people in the area with experience of "blasting" who might be persuaded to help out - could speed things up a bit.

corn.gif

Updated piece from Wesley Johnston's site (21st Oct). Discusses the possibility of a late 2010 finish of the scheme.
    According to an Assembly written answer from 17 Oct, completion of the scheme is now due in "late 2010". Prior to the commencement of the project (in 2005) the duration of the scheme was estimated at two years. When the contract was signed, and work was about to begin, this was revised to "30 to 36 months". The current estimated completion of "late 2010" is at the upper end of this timescale window. Work on rock blasting at Cloghogue has been ongoing now for several months. Due to the proximity of the A1, this has involved closing the A1 for twenty minutes at a time for each blast, which usually occur once or twice per week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

does this project link up with the current M1 Dublin to Belfast to the A1 so we would have Motorway/DC from Dublin to Belfast (via Belfast's M1)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ipodrocker wrote: »
    does this project link up with the current M1 Dublin to Belfast to the A1 so we would have Motorway/DC from Dublin to Belfast (via Belfast's M1)

Yes.

There will still be two major roundabouts (and two minor ones) at Hillsborough and Sprucefield (major and two minor) though. Theres longterm plans to sort these out with proper freeflows though.

They're also closing the median on the older, poorer quality sections of DC on the A1 over the next year or so, so the remaining 60 zones may go, as well as much of the danger of driving that route.

MYOB wrote: »
    Yes.

There will still be two major roundabouts (and two minor ones) at Hillsborough and Sprucefield (major and two minor) though. Theres longterm plans to sort these out with proper freeflows though.

They're also closing the median on the older, poorer quality sections of DC on the A1 over the next year or so, so the remaining 60 zones may go, as well as much of the danger of driving that route.

The A1/M1 interchange is nothing but an absolute joke.

Nice new leaflet (in PDF format) on the Roads NI site on this bypass, illustrating the layouts of the new junctions.

Link: http://applications.drdni.gov.uk/publications/document.asp?docid=14394

Also another leaflet available showing the layouts of the 4 new junctions at Hillsborough, Dromore, Banbridge and Loughbrickland.

Link: http://applications.drdni.gov.uk/publications/document.asp?docid=14395

amacachi wrote: »
    The A1/M1 interchange is nothing but an absolute joke.
    Totally true, but there's another plan to bypass that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Interesting site. I see sections of the upgraded A1 DC has right turn interchanges. Insanity.

Another update from the Wesley Johnston site (15 January). Some pictures of bridges under construction at the northern end of the scheme.

February and May updates from the Wesley Johnston site. Further pictures of bridges under construction. Also he says the blasting operations are due to end soon.

Junction at Cloghouge seems to be taking shape at the moment. Wish I'd gotten some before photos a while back, there's some serious rock moving-out-of-the-way going on.

• Advertisement

I think I heard a figure of a million plus tons were taken out so far!

Advertisement