Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scottish bands

• 17-02-2008 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭

If, like me, you consider bonnie Scotland to be an utter hotbed of musical brilliance, you'll be extremely happy that BBC4 is showing the long overdue documentary Caledonia Dreamin' - a history of Scottish pop.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/listings/programme.shtml?day=friday&filename=20080222/20080223_0055_4544_26536_60&service_id=4544

Sadly it's only a one-off, therefore many, many greats have to be left out, but I'm pretty darn chuffed that there's gonna be a major chunk devoted to the story of Postcard Records which gave us the poptastic likes of Orange Juice and Altered Images.
    OJ: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBikNb5oEcU
    AI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXL20PtSkjQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0BoRMuEh2c
    As a little kid in the early 80s I absolutely adored Altered Images, who were girly but with a bit of a darker edge (kinda like me :)). And I just wanted to be their lead singer Clare Grogan. I even called my doll after her - or at least what I thought she was called: "Alter Dimages" :o

So, Scotland. Scored an own goal by giving us Wet Wet Wet, Deacon Blue, Del Amitri and rowdy pub favourite 500 Miles by The Proclaimers.
    Gave us acts who got it both right and wrong: Simple Minds circa '80 - fabtabulous; Simple Minds circa '90 - tedious pomp rock.
    Sheena Easton - at first, awful middle-of-the-road blandness, but then she teamed up with Prince and got all sexah and edgy.
    Big Country - utter classics like In A Big Country and Look Away, but then the stuff that's... not very good.
    And then there's the stuff that is good - some of my favourite bands EVER are in this list: Primal Scream, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Cocteau Twins, Teenage Fanclub, Lloyd Cole & The Commotions, Mogwai, Belle & Sebastian, Bill Drummond (KLF), Sons and Daughters.
    And it's not cool to like them because they got all popular but they still churn out a good tune: Franz Ferdinand. And Shirley Manson of Garbage - a great voice and a cool chick.

So, come on! Gimme more...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,856 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

How can you not have Idlewild on that list of stuff that is good?! Or mention them at all?! My favourite Scottish band ever. Roddy's solo album was excellent too.

Most of Snow Patrol are Scottish as well. Sons & Daughters are pretty poor imo having seen them live.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,757 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Idlewild are excellent alright. Big fan of Travis too.. their latest album was a step back on track after '12 Memories' (which was woeful).

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

+1 on Sons And Daughters, was planning to go see them tonight in Whelans but had to cancel due to work :mad:.
    The Repulsion Box was one of my favourite albums of 2005; loved the dark, gothic sound on tracks like "Rama Lama". I'm really liking their new stuff too, "Darling" is so catchy I think it may be hazardous to my health!

Cocteau Twins are a band I've only started listening to recently, Elizabeth Fraiser has such an incredible voice. Have a complation CD and hopefully will get my hands on some of their studio albums in the very near future.

By the way: Jesus And Mary Chain, any tips on which album(s) to start with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Xavi6 wrote: »
    How can you not have Idlewild on that list of stuff that is good?! Or mention them at all?! My favourite Scottish band ever. Roddy's solo album was excellent too.

Gotta agree with that! I was shocked that they weren't mentioned in the original post. I first saw them at the first all-weekend summer festival in Ireland (not sure if I can mention it by name, you know the one though, back before it got renamed), had no idea who they were and by the end of the first song they played (I see shapes :D) I bloody fell in love with them! Been a loyal fan ever since! Missed their recent gig though cos I was away, gutted! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Mogwai win Scotland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

+1 on Sons And Daughters, was planning to go see them tonight in Whelans but had to cancel due to work :mad:.
    The Repulsion Box was one of my favourite albums of 2005; loved the dark, gothic sound on tracks like "Rama Lama". I'm really liking their new stuff too, "Darling" is so catchy I think it may be hazardous to my health!

Cocteau Twins are a band I've only started listening to recently, Elizabeth Fraiser has such an incredible voice. Have a complation CD and hopefully will get my hands on some of their studio albums in the very near future.

Re Cocteau Twins you should try Lullabiles to Violane (sp) its a 4cd comp including every single/ep they every released somefantastic stuff that doesnt appear on the albums the origonal issue of it is alos the most beatifly packaged cd ive ever owned re-issues of it were taditional jewel case though.
    Head over Heals is the best studio album

Re: J&MC Psychocandy was thier first and best record one of the best of the 80's

also nobody has mentioned the Associates and the Fire Engines both fantastic bands particularly the associates album "Sulk" really beautiful album

The Orange Juice comp "The Glasgow School" which compiles all thier postcard stuff ios essential to everyone that has ears pretty much the blueprint for 90% of indie since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Ooh yeah, The Associates - Party Fears Two is one of my fave songs ever! Aw you can't blame me for not remembering everyone in the first post!
    I cannot recommend highly enough their 1990 album Heaven or Las Vegas as your first buy.
    Darklands (1987) or Psychocandy (1985) if you're beginning with their early material (which is their better stuff, in my opinion - although I think it would be the general consensus).
    You get a nice mix of feedback-drenched, dark, noisy stuff, as well as the catchier, more melodic Phil Spector/Everly Brothers-influenced stuff.

Sorry folks, Idlewild are a band I've never paid any attention to.
    For the older folks who remember the charts in the 80s, Aztec Camera could pen an infectious ditty.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

Dudess wrote: »
    Darklands (1987) or Psychocandy (1985) if you're beginning with their early material (which is their better stuff, in my opinion - although I think it would be the general consensus).
    You get a nice mix of feedback-drenched, dark, noisy stuff, as well as the catchier, more melodic Phil Spector/Everly Brothers-influenced stuff.

Listening to Just Like Honey on Youtube now. Very good. Is that what their first two albums are generally like.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Have to throw the Trashcan Sinatras into the mix. Cracking band and this song contains one of the best lyrics EVER!

I come aboard
    I sing a lament
    The world isn't round
    It's Twisted and Bent

Damn right lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

One of my recent discoveries is a fantastic Scottish band called The Goldenhour.

Homepage: http://www.thegoldenhour.info/
    MySpace (for sample songs): http://www.myspace.com/thegoldenhour

I've nearly worn out their latest CD in my car - I've listened to it at least 20 times since the start of the year, and their previous one is just as good.

• Advertisement

Ooh ooh! HOW could I forget The Blue Nile?!
    Listening to Just Like Honey on Youtube now. Very good. Is that what their first two albums are generally like.
    Yes, that sound is quite prevalent - it's classic Jesus and Mary Chain (as ripped off by The Raveonettes in recent years). And there are lighter, poppier moments too (like the insanely catchy Down on Me, and Head On - as covered by the Pixies). And also there are darker moments.
    Genius band.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Dudess has covered a lot. Just to add Ballboy and Camera Obscura

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Mull Historical Society deserves an honourable mention surely?

'Course they do! I knew I was gonna leave out plenty - that's why I was asking you guys to - as Britney says - gimme more!
    Yeah, I just remembered Camera Obscura too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I'm shocked that this thread hasn't managed one mention of Chemikal Underground yet. My second favourite record label, and the vast majority of artists are fantastic even though some may no longer be with the label. Mogwai, Delgados, Arab Strap...

I'm a hoor for all the 80s and early 90s stuff - kinda stuck in a musical time-warp in that regard (don't know why, I was only a pre-teen/early teen then so it's not like I was able to go to gigs or anything).

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Dudess and Derek D: Thanks a million for the tips.
    Been checking out some Jesus & Mary Chain stuff on YouTube, and I like what I'm hearing!

You're welcome. I'm always happy to inform people about the J&MC and their 80s/early 90s peers. In fact I used to present a show on Cork community radio consisting entirely of that kind of stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Serpentine

Anyone mentioned the Vaselines? :D

Ooh yeah, another great. Scotland seemed to have a "thing" in the early 90s for American rawk.

The Pastels - they were another bunch. And of course Alan McGee is a great Scot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

And now Ladies & Gents for something a little heavier from our celtic cousins I give you.....

The Almighty :cool:.

For some reason I can't embed the file but check out "Over The Edge"....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOpQF_mLHac&feature=related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Serpentine

Isobel Campbell. I know B&S were mentioned already but her solo output is well worth a mention as are The Gentle Waves

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Belle and Seb, Arab Strap, Malcolm Middleton, Aidan Moffat. Oh and the one and only Ivor Cutler. Barapadapada (spell)

If you see a man with a couple of woolen eyes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭pgasm

i recorded these guys album, theyr from kilmarnock in scotland and stayed at my studio for a month, they released the album themselves and have been doing really well in scotland over the last few month. check them out - THE CIDER SPIDERS. Theyr recordings are good but i went to go see them live and they are amazing - the craziest most energetic band ive seen in years - mental!

I think they r gonna do really well!

:confused:
    Wow, I've seen people use the :rolleyes: smiley unnecessarily but that takes the biscuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

What about Primal Scream? They're very much so Scottish, and IMO they're great! But Mani a Manc ofcourse, as I always say you can't be a truely great Alternative-Brit band without the Manc's! :D Sure the Best ones were MaDchester greats, Happy Mondays, New Order/Joy Division, Stone Roses, Ian Brown, Charlatans (mainly Norwich though) and ofcourse A Certain Ration :p (I can't be serious for that one).

The awesome Scream were included in my first post. A Certain Ratio were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,555 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

biffy clyro - sans new album
    idlewild - sans last two albums
    sucioperro
    aereogramme
    marmaduke duke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Hue and Cry had a great live album.

Plus Paolo Nutini is excellent.

• Advertisement

18th of May - my birthday (it's weird to hear every year on the morning of my birthday "and on this day in 1980, lead singer of Joy Division, Ian Curtis, committed suicide" especially when Joy Division are one of my fave bands ever).

Anyway, the Scottish music documentary was on earlier. I really enjoyed the first part - Orange Juice and Josef K were fantastic. It's ridiculous how blatantly they are being ripped off by the current "indie" crop. That brittle, glacial guitar sound is just gorgeous. Altered Images were featured too, as were The Associates (their lead singer - what a talent. He died awfully young).
    Then the quality dropped: they only played some of the Blue Nile's gorgeous Tinseltown in the Rain in the background for a few seconds and then things got truly horrible - Deacon Blue, Wet Wet Wet (oh god how I hate them) and Del Amitri. Hue and Cry weren't the worst I suppose. I remember absolutely loving their single Labour of Love.
    Then there was a good chunk on Scottish musicians getting political - in particular The Proclaimers.
    The 90s - Teenage Fanclub, Belle & Sebastian and right now, Franz Ferdinand. So, absolutely tons left out. Not even a mention of Alan McGee/Creation. I understand the issue of time constraints, but really, it's rather ludicrous that Primal Scream and The Jesus and Mary Chain weren't even mentioned.

Overall though (apart from the "blue-eyed soul" bit) 'twas good stuff.

Advertisement