Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scottish bands

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Dudess wrote: »
    Hue and Cry weren't the worst I suppose. I remember absolutely loving their single Labour of Love.

Good song, but their album stuff was a million times better.

My older brother had their live album pretty much playing on a loop in our house and I grew to love it.

Really Scottish with loads of guest violinists and all sorts of stuff.

Check out 'Rolling Home' on YouTube for a taste.

You've got good taste in music Dudess....!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Cheers :) I suppose I like to think so too!

That documentary has just started again on BBC4.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Camac Hibs

Someone mentioned The Blue Nile there - the finest scottish band of all time.

A Walk Across The Rooftops and Hats are two of the most breathtakingly beautiful albums ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭wezzopalooza

2 fantastic Scottish bands from the post punk era are "The Skids" and (especially) "Doll By Doll", the most underrated group of all time in my opinion..Their 4 albums were released on cd for the 1st time ever last year after over 25 years in vinyl obscurity, they're available in Tower Records for a tenner each..Well worth picking up the whole lot (especially Gypsy Blood) and marvelling at how such a stellar band has been so overlooked..In their frontman Jackie Leven they had perhaps one of the greatest and biggest voices in music, and he's still making great albums to this day, quietly building up a formidable back catalogue to rival......... just about anyone!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Benwarb73

The Effect, mid 90s band who used to support Whiteout and The Commercials at Sleazy's, Cathouse and 13th Note....quality live act

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

MON THE BIFF!!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Average White Band are probably the funkiest and most sampled band to emerge from Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Never saw this thread before. The OP was way too harsh on Big Country. Their first two albums were excellent, next two pretty good...they lost it after that alright, but there was a lot more to them than just the two singles the OP mentioned. First class live act. Two of the original members still tour as Big Country and they've still got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,361 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Nazareth, I often thought Dan McCafferty would have made a great replacement for Brian Johnson in AC/DC.

Django Django: Scottish as well as Northern Irish members, saw them live at Body&Soul Festival in 2012, a great act.

Chvrches who I've seen at various Electric Picnic's, another great act.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Agreed. The debut is a classic albeit In A Big Country is very clunky (single mix much better)

Steeltown & The Seer are fine albums and the 1990 single Save Me is also class.

OP also very hard on Deacon Blue (Raintown a classic), Wet Wet Wet (poptastic debut) & Del Amitri (C86 roots - ignored now) - really reeks off a too-cool-for-school vibe although it was posted nearly 15 years back.

And fails to mention the brilliant Urusei Yatsura, The Yummy Fur, The Delgados, Arab Strap, The Beta Band, Josef K.....

This is a fantastic selection of Scottish music - https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/big-gold-dreams-a-story-of-scottish-independent-music-1977-1989-5cd-boxset/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

Oh yeah, now you’re speaking my language. My absolute favourite band ever. (Check out the username !) If I may be slightly pedantic, it’s “so come aboard, let’s sing a lament, the world isn’t round, it’s twisted and bent.” They have a host of great tunes and clever lyrics, and one of the great singers in Frank Reader (brother of Edie Reader - who is married to John Douglas of the band.)

Cake, I’ve Seen everything, and Weightlifting are three of the finest albums you’ll ever hear. I’ve you haven’t discovered them, do yourself a favour.

Other top Scottish bands, Teenage Fanclub, Aztec Camera/Roddy Frame, Belle and Sebastian and Camera Obscura. Also, has anyone mentioned Edwin Collins ? Such an inspirational man.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭rpirl

Recently re-discovered this '90s dance tune, remember it from when it was around but didn't know they were Scots

The Time Frequency

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭rpirl

A Band Called Quinn - 'Wolf Cries Boy'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

They had three more classics

New Emotion (was on Hits '93 Volume 1)

Such A Phantasy (was on Dance Hits '94 Volume 2)

Dreamscape (was on Dance Zone Level 3)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,361 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

The Marmozets!

2 albums and each equally splendid. Nothing since 2018 but strong rumours that were back together ( in an altered line up) rehearsing new music. Can't wait!

https://spotify.link/UdReg7JQwDb

Advertisement