Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

awkward purchases e.g. condoms

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

l3LoWnA wrote: »
    You should go in tomorrow and buy two more packs of condoms, another pregnancy test, some baby bottles/soothers, canestan cream, some massive sanitary towels, a packet of newborn nappies and some breast pads (for when you're losing milk after a baby) :D Confuse the sh1t out of her :)

And cost around 60 euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

barclay2 wrote: »
    Or you can go into a pub toilet. The first option basically involves walking up to strangers and saying "hello, please scan these so that i can wrap them onto my knob and stick it inside someone". The second runs the risk of some guy or guys going "oh look who's gettin laid tonight! Wahey!", which happens to me. I dont enjoy it.

I remember i was at a restuarunt when i was about 12/13 and there was a couple having a dinner across the room. Anyway, at some point later on in the evening I saw the guy giving his girlfriend the thumbs up with both hands from across the room as he emerged from the toilets. i lol'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Reminds me of one time a few years back I was with two workmates at lunchtime and one of them wanted to buy condoms. He was too embarrassed to go up to the young girl behind the counter and pay for them so he asked the other guy to.

So the three of us walk up to the counter, he pays for them and gets the change and then turns around to the guy he bought them for and says out loud "here's your condoms and your change" and hands them to him. You should've seen the guys face. He turned bright red and nearly ran out of the shop. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Men buying tampons / sanitary towels for their girlfriends. Id say thats the hardest thing for a bloke to buy

For the record: I wouldnt know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

red_ice wrote: »
    Men buying tampons / sanitary towels for their girlfriends. Id say thats the hardest thing for a bloke to buy

For the record: I wouldnt know!

not really...i mean they're obviously not for the guy...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Tampons/sanitary towels must be the worst for women though. Especially if your buying the heavy absobency type

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I don't mind buying condoms in chemists but once I needed some urgently and the only place open was Centra so I'd to go in and go "Hi, can i have some condoms please, any kind, oh except not flavoured, just normal comdoms please" to the fella behind the counter.. it was mildly embarrassing. I ended up with these weird ones with little bumps on them. They weren't so bad though.
    Usually I'd buy them in the chemist when I'm getting my prescription for the pill filled. A sort of contraception shopping spree, if you will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭milli

rain on wrote: »
    I don't mind buying condoms in chemists but once I needed some urgently and the only place open was Centra so I'd to go in and go "Hi, can i have some condoms please, any kind, oh except not flavoured, just normal comdoms please" to the fella behind the counter.. it was mildly embarrassing. I ended up with these weird ones with little bumps on them. They weren't so bad though.
    Usually I'd buy them in the chemist when I'm getting my prescription for the pill filled. A sort of contraception shopping spree, if you will.

Aah I'd get my bf to buy the condoms since I get the pill - fair is fair..

As for being embarassed buying condoms, meh, not any more though I do admit to buying a few extra (unnecessary) things when I need to get just toilet paper. Still those self-checkout tills in tescos/dunnes are great :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭manTime

I hate buying childrens shoes especially in my local where the girl behind the counter knows i dont have kids :(

Lol. Why you buying kids shoes so??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 mazdafarl

shoes are good

jimbo78 wrote: »
    Lol. Why you buying kids shoes so??

I just collect them - even though loadsa people collect stuff as a hobbie i find im generally judged more,

manTime wrote: »
    i find im generally judged more,

Hmmm, thats a strange one alright. Did you ever consider collecting stamps? It's all of the fun you get with collecting kids shoes but with less of the paedophile charges;)

Typical attitude I face every day.

:( Its a lonely life for the shoe collector indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

big_show wrote: »
    Went to buy a 12 pack of condoms last year in boots, got to the front of the massive queue and the shop assistant says "we have a buy one get one free on these" me being the student says "oh right?, hold on a sec" i disappear down the back of the shop, at this stage people in the queue were wondering why hell i was taking so long, then i reappear (being closely watched by the queue) with another 12 pack (in plain sight) and fire them up on the counter and away with me, i didnt even blink...:D

haha, lmao, sorry, such a great story

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

big_show wrote: »
    Went to buy a 12 pack of condoms last year in boots, got to the front of the massive queue and the shop assistant says "we have a buy one get one free on these" me being the student says "oh right?, hold on a sec" i disappear down the back of the shop, at this stage people in the queue were wondering why hell i was taking so long, then i reappear (being closely watched by the queue) with another 12 pack (in plain sight) and fire them up on the counter and away with me, i didnt even blink...:D

Probably gonna get laughs from mates on this boards but ah well :rolleyes:

Same thing happened to me a few months ago :D Was half tempted just to say no but that'd be a waste of €12 ! I'll admit I felt a bit embarassed alright.Only time I'd felt embarrassed since the first time I bought them

Edit: Oh and as for the toilet paper thing, Thats a bit ridiculous if you ask me! Why be embarrassed? Because you go for a sh*te like everyone else :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

in what only could be derived for a scene from a badly scripted teen movie, my first trip to buy condoms ended up with the shop alarm going off. I walked up with them discreetly, set them down, replied that i didn't want any club points and walked away, thinking that it wasn't that bad. Until i heard the beeping of an alarm. for 5 seconds i pondered whether i should just panic and run, i went back to the till and the mortified shop assistant removed the tag and i walked out of the shop to see my friend bright red and pissing himself laughing, i saw the funny side of too, thank **** :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

Last year I was in River Island Dundrum - at the time they sold boxes of Jelly willies and Jelly boobs. I was in a really long queue to pay (it was christmas time).
    The jellies were near the queue. Anyhow this kid takes a box of jelly willies and asks his mother if he can have them. (not knowing what they were of course) His mother turns scarlet and takes them off the kid saying no. then the kid proceeds to have a massive tamtrum saying he wants the jellies. The queue was pi$$ing itself laughing as the woman nearly died from embarishment. The poor womam. I felt sorry for her but couldnt help sniggering along with the rest of the Q.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

jimbo78 wrote: »
    I always feel awkward buying FHM, especially in my home town

i used to work in a Londis and every second day three builders would come in, two pretty old guys and one young one and every time the young one would buy a lad's mag and i never understood how he wouldnt get embaressed.

he also always gave me a dirty smile and a wink.strange man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,129 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I remember i was at a restuarunt when i was about 12/13 and there was a couple having a dinner across the room. Anyway, at some point later on in the evening I saw the guy giving his girlfriend the thumbs up with both hands from across the room as he emerged from the toilets. i lol'd.

Remember a similar thing same sort of age with a few other kids, in hotel, hanging out at video game machine, which was just outside gents. Young couple comes along, guy goes into the toilet, girl is waiting there. We all hear the sound of the condom machine doing its thing. Was fun watching the girl getting a bit embarrassed.

Advertisement