Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Adventure in overclocking

• 20-12-2007 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭

Where do I start?
    Do you need Processor/Ram specs?

I have managed to use the AI overclock options which gives it 20% more.This recorded a core of 2900MHz.
    If I can achieve 3300MHz i'll be well happy.

dont be afraid to ask me to push the limits cause the reason I bought all this equipment is to do exactly this.
    Thanks.

20122007218.jpg

20122007220.jpg

20122007221.jpg

20122007222.jpg

20122007223.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Specs? that looks like a bios i'm v familiar with.

Dont use ai overclock, adjust all your settings manually.

Get these: memtest, ooct, coretemp, cpuz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭TheThreeDegrees

Ok,have coretemp cpuz and memtest.
    will go find ooct now.

specs are as follows:

Asus P5N32-E SLI 680I
    Crucial ballistix ddr2 6400 (I have set this to 2.2V in the bios)
    Q6600 (g0)
    SilverStone PSU ******* OP 850

Current Temps at stock speed(2400MHz)are under the 40's.(usually in the morning when the heating is not on in the room).

I have disabled Nvidia GPU,SpeedSpectrum(all),Executive Disable Bit,Virtualisation Tech,Speedstep and legacy USB support.

Thats about as far as Ive got.

I'm struggling to find ooct.its kinda the same as prime but friendlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Ok,have coretemp cpuz and memtest.
    will go find ooct now.

specs are as follows:

Asus P5N32-E SLI 680I
    Crucial ballistix ddr2 6400 (I have set this to 2.2V in the bios)
    Q6600 (g0)
    SilverStone PSU ******* OP 850

Current Temps at stock speed(2400MHz)are under the 40's.(usually in the morning when the heating is not on in the room).

I have disabled Nvidia GPU,SpeedSpectrum(all),Executive Disable Bit,Virtualisation Tech,Speedstep and legacy USB support.

Thats about as far as Ive got.

wow nice psu :)

try and find ur fsb wall

Open task manager, cpuz, occt & task manager performance (you'll see it testing all 4 cores when you start occt), start occt, take a screenshot at max temperature & post it here. This will tell us how hot this cpu is at stock before you push it.

Loosen your ram timings, set them manually to something like 5-5-5-15, leave all other timings on auto. Unlink your memory & change your memory ratio to have your ram running slow....200mhz each channel, 400mhz effective

Set your vcore manually to 1.325V. Add 10 to your fsb, boot to windows & run 30mins occt with cpuz, coretemp & task manager performance screen open. Note your max temp. Take a screenshot & post it here showing temps or if ya wanna keep going, add another 10fsb & test again. When you get a fail or windows doesn't boot move your vcore up 1 notch (but i dont expect this for ages as you got a g0, 3Ghz+ should be realistic on this voltage)

My screen capture techniques are not great but here goes..Are they any better than Anti's:)
    this is running at default level.

Occt-2.jpg

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Loosen your ram timings, set them manually to something like 5-5-5-15, leave all other timings on auto. Unlink your memory & change your memory ratio to have your ram running slow....200mhz each channel, 400mhz effective

hi,i'm not sure what to do about this section.here is a screen shot of the options available to me.I have unlinked the memory.

Just to understand better what I'm doing the timings for the ballistix are 4-4-4-12 (Tcl-Trcd-Tras-Trp).Why loosen them?

21122007227.jpg

Log:

first use of the bios reset switch:)

Note to myself:too aggresive with the FSB!

Note 2 to myself:

second use of reset switch.

How do I know when ive reached the FSB wall?
    Is this when you cannot raise the FSB at the current voltage?

This is the best i can do.If I raise the FSB any higher it doesnt go anywhere.

I think my memory timings and speed are arseways cause I dont know how to set them properly.

Occt-3.jpg

Ah ha ive broken the 3MHz barrier!!!!!!!!!!!!

had to revert to an older bios.using version 1103.
    yahooo yippeee!!!!!!!!!!!

Temps are nice too..will post results after a thorough thrashing of the cores.;)

Occt-4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Ah ha ive broken the 3MHz barrier!!!!!!!!!!!!

had to revert to an older bios.using version 1103.
    yahooo yippeee!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow 3 whole Mhz??? thats like 3000 Khz. :D

also, what made you think to change the BIOS version?

• Advertisement

was reading the Asus forums and a number of people having trouble with the latest revisions to the bios.
    Soo newer is not always best.

so for the moment with my current cooling setup thats about as far as i'll go.

Just to understand better what I'm doing the timings for the ballistix are 4-4-4-12 (Tcl-Trcd-Tras-Trp).Why loosen them?

You loosen the timings to take the memory out of the equasion, you can push these later, concentrate on the cpu for now & find your max fsb

Edit, and screenshots just after starting the stress testing are no good (occt doesn't really start proper till after 4mins), take them 20-25mins in2 test when your temps will be higher. Remeber that 30mins is just a quick test for stability, gives you a rough idea, to be properly stable your gonna have to run it over night, but keep pushing the fsb for now. Decide how hot your gonna let your chip go :D

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Remeber that 30mins is just a quick test for stability, gives you a rough idea, to be properly stable your gonna have to run it over night, but keep pushing the fsb for now. Decide how hot your gonna let your chip go :D

agreed, you need to stress test it over night. I've had OCCT fail on me after 7 hours of stress testing, it bites but that's life.

over night?you cruel ***tards!
    gonna fry some fish and chips on that mofo board when i'm done!:D

What, u think u'll oc it in a few hrs, it often took me 2 weeks 2 find my most comfortable oc. L31mrod has the right idea, have a look @ his thread & see he's in no hurry.

yeah but i need proper cooling to go further.

i'm happy i broke the 3MHz barrier today..i was begining to think the board couldnt go any further..

i did have a look at L31mrod and he was having a frustrating time also.

today done my head in but in the end all is good.

Onwards and Upwards!

thanks for the help BTW.

3000Mhz, as in 3Ghz :D

i did have a look at L31mrod and he was having a frustrating time also.

3/4 of the time overclocking is hitting brick walls, its finding that sweet spot that makes it all worth while.

the 680i is a frustrating mobo anyway as to give people higher FSB speeds they've added a load of locked settings which reduce the effectiveness of an overclock.

btw, why aren't you benching that CPU? You seem to be only stress testing it. You should be benching it at each clock increase to see what kind of performance increase you are getting.

EDIT: Actually that raises a question I hadn't thought of... what program should I use to accurately bench the CPU, testing all 4 cores?

L31mr0d any joy in finding a decent benchmarking utlity?

Occt or new prime 95 (now supports multicore)

• Advertisement

Log:

Replaced Ninja heatsink with a Zalman CNPS 9700.10 degrees cooler on idle.

Will begin to benchmark at 3Mhz..ehhem sorry meant 3Ghz:D

Here she is running stock speed with the new zalman.full throttle 15mins into the test.In fact it was getting cooler as the benchmark was going on!

15mins.jpg

btw... I found this site from a link on the XS forums to a list of banchmarking programs

you might find it usefull

http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/english.html?/b_e.html

New settings.

Vcore 1.35
    1.2HT 1.25
    NB 1.35
    CPU VTT 1.55

FSB 1425
    Unlinked
    DDR2 950
    Timings 4-4-4-12

occt-5.jpg

Will run an over nighter when I find my ideal settings.

managed to eek out another couple of hz's

but my core voltages are scary!

occt-6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

drop back to 1.5 That an awfull ammount of voltage running through that cpu.

2 much vcore m8, i wouldn't go over 1.45v. These quads get very hot. You dont want an expensive bonfire

Ok ive done two things:
    Voltages all set at auto.
    found a better bios called 1203 beta and it rocks!
    straight up to a bus clock of 355.76 *9.
    voltages are much lower.

3200.png

tightened up the ram timings and will tighten more as I slowly increase the fsb.

So all volts on auto and the FSB on 1423.
    RAM is unlinked at 800.
    Timings are 5,5,5,18.

yet again it appears the bios versions have a big impact on clocking abilities.

have to say i',m enjoying also the challenge this board gives.

holy smolly this thing just wants to get higher and higher!

Mem.jpg

CPU.jpg

Temp.jpg

• Advertisement

Why dont you open cpuz a few times on the desktop, set 1 tab on memory, one on mobo etc and take one screenshot :D

Nice oc m8, keep going :p
    I'll not be happy till i see your cpuz screenies drippin in sweat :D

Advertisement