Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Steering wheel is not turning

Options
  • 10-12-2007 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am not sure if this is some to do with the cold weather.

My Alfa's steering wheel cannot be turned while driving, it feels like the steering wheel is being locked or something.

Is this something to do with the power steering or the security override? Does anyone know?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Firstly, what are you doing driving a car you can't steer?

Does it turn slightly in either direction and then feel like it's hitting something solid? If so it could just be the steering lock in the ignition barrel. You don't say which Alfa or how old it is.

If it is very hard to turn but turns with a lot of effort then it could be power steering failure. If you take a look under the bonnet it should be pretty obvious if the belt has come off the power steering pump. If the car has been squealing for a while the belt was probably slipping, which would accelerate the failure of the belt. I'm not familiar with Alfas so I'm not sure what else is run off that belt.

Best case scenario: a new/used ignition barrel or a new belt.
    Worst case: New power steering pump or rack.

From your brief description I'd guess it's the ignition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭leonliang

milltown wrote: »
    Firstly, what are you doing driving a car you can't steer?

Does it turn slightly in either direction and then feel like it's hitting something solid? If so it could just be the steering lock in the ignition barrel. You don't say which Alfa or how old it is.

If it is very hard to turn but turns with a lot of effort then it could be power steering failure. If you take a look under the bonnet it should be pretty obvious if the belt has come off the power steering pump. If the car has been squealing for a while the belt was probably slipping, which would accelerate the failure of the belt. I'm not familiar with Alfas so I'm not sure what else is run off that belt.

Best case scenario: a new/used ignition barrel or a new belt.
    Worst case: New power steering pump or rack.

From your brief description I'd guess it's the ignition.

Hi Milltown,

Thanks for your reply.

First of all, I wouldn't drive it if I know there is something wrong with steering wheel. :o
    The car was fine when I started it, and after a while I felt something broken under the bonnet and all of a sudden the steering wheel is very hard to turn(but turns with a lot of effort). Based on your diagnose, I believe its to do with the Power Steering Belt. Will get it sorted tomorrow!

Thanks for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Have you sprung a power steering leak? Look for a (proberly) green slippery residue.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Power steering belt has probably snapped. Not a biggie.

Got someone checked my car(Auto Electrical), the power steering belt seems fine but he couldn't tell what the problem was, have to get it to a garage tomorrow.

Hope is it not something big. BTW, how much would power steering pump or rack cost to fix? (Presume that is the problem)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Ask the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Are you in Dublin? If so, bring it to Gerry Campbell in TI autos, ph 01 8386567.

Anan1 wrote: »
    Are you in Dublin? If so, bring it to Gerry Campbell in TI autos, ph 01 8386567.

Thanks a lot mate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Sounds like the steering rack.
    Is it making a loud buzzing noise when trying to turn the steering ?

craichoe wrote: »
    Sounds like the steering rack.
    Is it making a loud buzzing noise when trying to turn the steering ?

No, No noise at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Anan1 wrote: »

I can add George Frayne in Naas to the list, 045 897946

Advertisement