Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smell of smoke

Options
  • 28-11-2007 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

First off, congrats to all of you trying to quit the habit. Im not sure if this is in the right section, but we'll see..
    I recently moved in with a smoker ,a elderly relative in fact, who has no intention on quitting, understands I despise it but there is not much she can do.
    Unfortunatley I end up smelling of smoke 24/7..i spent a lot of time in my room where i try to keep the door closed but it juts doesnt work. As soon as i hit fresh air I can smell it on my hair and clothes. I cant keep febrezing my clothes and washing my hair, its just not practical! Ive tried the neutraliizers and leaving half an onion in the room to absorb smells, but I cant succeed! I have to live here for the guts of a year, no choice in that, and she isnt going to quit no matter what angle I take, so Im basically looking for way to get the smell away if at all possible, even reduce it. It really gets me down if Im honest, as Im a non smoker and like to smell okay:). Id appreciate any tips

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 attica2k

First off, congrats to all of you trying to quit the habit. Im not sure if this is in the right section, but we'll see..
    I recently moved in with a smoker ,a elderly relative in fact, who has no intention on quitting, understands I despise it but there is not much she can do.
    Unfortunatley I end up smelling of smoke 24/7..i spent a lot of time in my room where i try to keep the door closed but it juts doesnt work. As soon as i hit fresh air I can smell it on my hair and clothes. I cant keep febrezing my clothes and washing my hair, its just not practical! Ive tried the neutraliizers and leaving half an onion in the room to absorb smells, but I cant succeed! I have to live here for the guts of a year, no choice in that, and she isnt going to quit no matter what angle I take, so Im basically looking for way to get the smell away if at all possible, even reduce it. It really gets me down if Im honest, as Im a non smoker and like to smell okay:). Id appreciate any tips

Ask her to smoke outside, she must be used to it as its banned in bars etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭fantasma

Move out. Or assign a smoking zone in the house.....say kitchen for example

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Well see my main query is, are there any way of reducing the smell on clothes. I cannot move, and the smoking room is a kitchen-sitting-living room. And Im not asking an eighy year old lady who has difficulty walking to go outside. I am jyts curious are therer any 'tricks' that people who have lived with smokers use to reduce the effect of the smell wafting..like the half onion one, or using a certain brand of nuetralizer....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Archeron

I've used incense in the past to cover the smell of smoke. It doesnt get rid of it, but it does mask it. Beware though, some of the incense you can buy smells foul and will actually be worse than the smoke. Something not too strong should work though, and I still use this after people have been smoking in my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Thank you for that

• Advertisement
Advertisement