Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Railway line north from Broadstone

Options
  • 15-11-2007 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭

Was going from Phibsboro into Cabra during the Dublin City Marathon, and noticed the railway cutting, on what I think is the old line from Broadstone, looked as is it had been cleared of vegetation and debris by machinery. Actually resembled parts of the Harcourt line before the Luas tracks were put in.

Could work actually have begun on a new luas project there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

probably Irish Rail rather than Luas working on it.

the proposed Luas line D is planned to go up there, but the routing for this isn't finalised so I doubt their doing any work. Irish rail on the other hand actually own the cutting and have said they want to reopen broadstone station for future Navan trains.

Basically Irish rail know that the Luas people have their eye on it, so they're putting their own claim in on it first - ridiculous really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Danny Dwyer

It is planned for the line to be tranferred to the Railway Procurement Agency.
    (see http://www.rpa.ie/en/projects/luas_city_broombridge/)

While that is under development there are community projects taking place along the line.
    (see http://www.communitylinks.ie/slwc/projects/lifeline/)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

loyatemu wrote: »
    probably Irish Rail rather than Luas working on it.

the proposed Luas line D is planned to go up there, but the routing for this isn't finalised so I doubt their doing any work. Irish rail on the other hand actually own the cutting and have said they want to reopen broadstone station for future Navan trains.

Basically Irish rail know that the Luas people have their eye on it, so they're putting their own claim in on it first - ridiculous really...

I didn't realise that there were any plans to use Broadstone as a rail station in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭markpb

BrianD wrote: »
    I didn't realise that there were any plans to use Broadstone as a rail station in the future.
    Irish Rail developed a plan a few years ago to use it for some services. Oddly enough, this plan emerged right after the RPA first mooted the possibility of using the cutting for a Luas line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

This is the problem with having "competing" bodies with no real oversight from above. Both are quangos trying to justify themselves for state funding.

We need a strong body with a plan to oversee the development of all transport in Dublin.

Personally, I can't see how IR could make Broadstone work as a terminus. It's future is like Harcourt St - a tram stop outside!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Did Dempsey ever resolve the spat between the RPA and CIE over access to/future use of the facility, CIE would not let Luas line something planners in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭markpb

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Did Dempsey ever resolve the spat between the RPA and CIE over access to/future use of the facility, CIE would not let Luas line something planners in.

IIRC he hired a consultant to evaluate the two options and they favoured RPAs proposal. I could be wrong though.

As far as I know he favoured the RPA and told IÉ to apply for permission to retain Docklands permanently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Karsini wrote: »
    As far as I know he favoured the RPA and told IÉ to apply for permission to retain Docklands permanently.

Thats pretty much it alright.

Advertisement