Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Convincing a bowling centre to run a league

Options
  • 05-11-2007 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭

This is wrote: »
    there are two new bowling alleys where i live in drogheda.
    Both are less than 6 months old. One of them has that neon vibe in it and it gets very annoyin especially when sweaty men come up behind you after being on the astroturf facilities.

the other is funatasia in the industrial estate. :)

i cant praise it enough. Natural light, leather couches, a large spectator area. Serious potential for competition bowling. Might email the itba and see if they know about the place because its not listed on their website.

Don't think the owner is keen on running anything official at present. I've spoken to them in that past about Bettystown. I think they want to fininsh off the water park before he does anything serious. Must go up and try out Funtasia Drogheda. It looks fab

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭This is

Its great. Well worth a trip. The staff are sound too and its never too packed if you go at the right times, like everywhere else really. Was it the owner or the manager that you talked to? Surely the owner would grab a P.R opportunity big or small?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

These posts have been copied from another thread and given a new thread title basically because it's something I wanted to suggest or discuss with you guys. :)

So, sometimes bowling centre owners don't recognise the value of running a league. I know that some places have no interest but sometimes if you ask what the quietest night is and offer to set up and run a league managers can be convinced to give the go ahead.

The way to put it to them is that they have 8 empty lanes every [insert night here] between 8 and 9. Would they like to keep them empty or would they like to run a league where every week those 8 lanes are filled with teams playing against one another and those lanes are making money?

Now league bowlers expcet a reduced lane price for playing in the league. The only way to fill those lanes is to reward the league bowlers who turn up week in and week out by giving them a lower price to play in the league. That way the bowling centre can cover their overheads by ensuring that those lanes are filled at least one week every evening.

Anyone else got any pointers, suggestions, questions? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

yeah its a good sugestion alright. Typically to run a league these days is far simpliar than 10 or 15 years ago with the help of technology. An average Doubles league with 8 to 10 teams should be no more that €30 per team for 3 games. That's usually €15 per team for the lane and €15 per team prize fund. That's obviously negotable if the centre or a company is willing to sponsor the league with prizes or money. Business House League's are another great way to get people in. In its hay day the Strand Bowl was like this during the week league wise.

Monday - Monday Night Fours
    Tuesday - Wigoder's Ladies League (Tuesday Morning)
    Arnott's BHL (Business House league) all arnott's staff
    Toolin Travel Tuesday Night Trio's League
    Wednesday- Wednesday BHL
    Wednesday Night Trio's League
    Thursday - Thursday Night Doubles League
    Friday - St Michael's House League
    Saturday - Junior League (produced some fine talent):D
    Sunday - Sunday Morning Scratch Singles League
    - Graingers League (Sunday Evening)

Brendan was always good to his the league bowlers. I know alot of players left when Coolock opened but it never had the same vibe or personnel touch. Some came back an others just floated away from the game altogether. I fear that could be an issue in these new places too.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

bbability wrote: »
    Brendan was always good to his the league bowlers. I know alot of players left when Coolock opened but it never had the same vibe or personnel touch. Some came back an others just floated away from the game altogether. I fear that could be an issue in these new places too.

Ah the strand bowl, i used to bowl a bit there with my dad, i'd like to take bowling up again - as i stated before - but had thoughts of emigrating which have subsided for now...

So i now need to buy a ball, get it drilled and buddy up with someone for a bit of bowling!!

Advertisement