Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭controller

freddiew wrote: »
    Garda Reserves do an aptitude test and under go the same interview, in fact I was interviewed with some of the ones applying for the Full time. We undergo the same Medical and background (security) check. As I said my nephew as he had the interview for the Reserves hadn't got to do the interview again so they do take recognition of the fact that you had done the interview and medical for the Reserves.
    Can I ask what is your opinion of what you know of the Reserves and their role in the Force.

Oh I wasn't aware that a an applicant for the Reserves had to under go the Aptitude test? Any advice on that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Richie12345

Hi guys, first post on here, great forum - loads of really helpful info. Just wondering - how long is it taking now between applying and the interview? Does it depend on which part of the country you're from? I sent in my application in mid-Sept. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 xxbevelsxx

Hi Dee, Welcome! I am just going down to Templemore for P1 on Saturday morning, passed my Medical last Wednesday. I will be stationed in Pearse Street, where are you? and how do the full timers accept the Reserves?

Hi freddie just joined this thing bit lost but read ur comment there bout bein stationed in Pearse! Im a Reserve too, passed out in June, the full timers are grand with the reserves now, i think they were a bit funny at the start when they first heard of the reserves but der grand now!! u lookin forward to it all? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭geo1212

Was just wondering how many of the group who passed out on Oct 20th have got their Epaulets ??? I know lots who don't have them nor do they know when they will get them.From my understanding we can't go out without them.I know a reservist who passed out months ago who still only has an embroidered GR on his Epaulet with no numbers.Maybe Geo could shed some light on this from his experience.

Hi Baton, we were issued with shoulder numbers when we passed out, not entirely sure what the story is if you dont have numbers, thats a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 xxbevelsxx

Im a Reserve based in Dub and applied for the full time, apptitude in December, few others i know have theirs today and a few had theres already! Any one in same boat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pat1187

its great to see more and more people using this board and we really should spread the word.Its a pity, in a way that we don't have someone from Reserve headquarters with definitive knowledge answering our concerns,or would that discourage openness?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Dee5

Hi All,

Could all those who are currently serving member s or anyone who is in training, please PM as I have an eamil you might be interested in. Some of you may have got it, but I can see a few holes in the mailing list.

Cheers,
    Dee

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

For those thinking of applying for the Garda reserve here is some information and here is where to go to actually apply from publicjobs.ie. I've merged two threads on the reserve to keep it tidy.

Hi, does anyone know why the current Garda recruitment is being fast tracked at the moment, the current applicants sitting the aptitudes are going to be called for interview mid-November, or so I've been told.

Also is it true the Garda recruitment is due to finish up soon??? How long do ye think it will run for?

controller wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know why the current Garda recruitment is being fast tracked at the moment, the current applicants sitting the aptitudes are going to be called for interview mid-November, or so I've been told.

Also is it true the Garda recruitment is due to finish up soon??? How long do ye think it will run for?

Heard that it was being fast tracked to get the numbers up, and the recruitment programme only lasted for 5 days I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

geo1212 wrote: »
    Heard that it was being fast tracked to get the numbers up, and the recruitment programme only lasted for 5 days I think.

Just wondering where you heard or read this

dee5
    How do you PM on this board?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

pat1187 wrote: »
    dee5

Just click on name and it gives you a choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭iandromiskin

pat1187 wrote: »
    dee5

You just click on the members name, "then send private message to 'whoever'".

Just wondering where you heard or read this

Heard the recruitment process was being streamlined as such to cut down on waitin lists, 3000 sat ass. tests over the last 2/3 weeks, heard this through the guardvine.

dee,
    I cant contact you as i am told you have no contact information when I check your profile.

Thanks for that, I've been reliably informed that there were only 4,000 applicants as it was badly advertised. Have you any idea if it might be the last campaign?

Thanks for that, I've been reliably informed that there were only 4,000 applicants as it was badly advertised. Have you any idea if it might be the last campaign?

I would'nt know for sure, but I would seriously doubt it, appearantly intakes are only just beating retirements numbers wise. I think the next recruitment drive is in march, think you have to register your interest on publicjobs.ie, and they then notify you when the competition is to begin.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

The questions about applying for the paid career garda would be better off in this thread.

I applied over a month ago, but have been told to expect up to six monthsof a wait before being called for interview. This seems a long time to have to wait. To my knowledge the Reserves have only been introduced to the cities yet, but I'm subject to being corrected on this.

• Advertisement

I applied over a month ago, but have been told to expect up to six monthsof a wait before being called for interview. This seems a long time to have to wait. To my knowledge the Reserves have only been introduced to the cities yet, but I'm subject to being corrected on this.

Thats a pretty long wait, a friend of mine applied about three months ago, and he was told, thats its not the lack of applicants or indeed time, but a lack of room to train Reserves as the College is working at full capacity with full time Garda recruits. There are Reserve Gardai in most of the country now, including provinicial towns as well as the cities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Out of context, I said "I would have no doubt they are here to stay and all that I am learning at present they are the best trained force in Europe and Professional."

Are you referring to the Gardai or the Garda Reserve?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

He he sometimes these threads advertise themselves....

gardaxh7.jpg

:D

Well from where I stand as an applicant, I'm beginning to re-think, why on earth would anyone want to be apart of something that is obviously not well thought out? Any professional organisation especially a police force should have set rules. I notice some posters to this site are already GR members, and they don't know their powers?? Furthermore, would the powers that be not think it their place to ensure that every full-timer knows the role of a GR, it would appear negligent to send people out on the streets, without them knowing fully what is expected of them. If the full-timers do not know their limits they may issue a GR with an instruction outside their limits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 fatted

Any professional organisation especially a police force should have set rules.
    It does. Its clearly stated in the Garda Síochána Act 2005 and in the Rules and Regulations for the Garda Reserve.
    I notice some posters to this site are already GR members, and they don't know their powers??
    Indeed.
    If the full-timers do not know their limits they may issue a GR with an instruction outside their limits.
    Just like full members, Reserve members are responsible for their own actions. A Reserve member doesn't arrest someone on someone else's instructions unless they are happy there is an offence _and_ they have the power to do so.

Well from where I stand as an applicant, I'm beginning to re-think, why on earth would anyone want to be apart of something that is obviously not well thought out? Any professional organisation especially a police force should have set rules. I notice some posters to this site are already GR members, and they don't know their powers?? Furthermore, would the powers that be not think it their place to ensure that every full-timer knows the role of a GR, it would appear negligent to send people out on the streets, without them knowing fully what is expected of them. If the full-timers do not know their limits they may issue a GR with an instruction outside their limits.

Without actually being in the situation it can be difficult to understand, needless to say experience does kick in, and in most cases Full time Guards have the same opinion, why dont you have p/o?
    Lets be realistic, the idea of Reserves patrolling the streets is still new, and indeed with some stations who are only having Reserves attached to them now the same queries will arise.
    Will Reserves be given extra powers? it would seem obvious that they will, but dont re-think your applicaion. Yes there was confusion in the beginning but it has been said over and over again, baby steps, learn to walk before trying to run etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 in control

Also controller, you dont have to have extra/all powers to physicaly make a difference when on patrol, and I dont mean physical strength, sometimes and indeed most times talking to someone will diffuse a problem. Thats when you get the pat on the back. Visable presence is a strong tool, so dont get too discouraged. The first time a Guard that is with you says " Just as well you were with me, that could have turned nasty", you will understand why the Reserve will work in the long term, irrespective of what powers of arrest are deemed necessary.

Have to say I agree 100 per cent with your opinion on this issue. Your presence , your attitude and your life experience will diffuse most situations . With regard to the threads posted by Fatted I make this point . When we started as GR it was all grey and there was consierable confusion regarding powers. It is only lately that we received the exact guidelines on this issue. Just curious as you appear to have a detailed knowledge of these matters are you a full time member and if you are what is your opinion of the GR? Finally controller dont lose heart, stick with it . There will be good and bad days but most are good . It is all a learning experience and a good test of your character.

in control wrote: »
    Have to say I agree 100 per cent with your opinion on this issue. Your presence , your attitude and your life experience will diffuse most situations . With regard to the threads posted by Fatted I make this point . When we started as GR it was all grey and there was consierable confusion regarding powers. It is only lately that we received the exact guidelines on this issue. Just curious as you appear to have a detailed knowledge of these matters are you a full time member and if you are what is your opinion of the GR? Finally controller dont lose heart, stick with it . There will be good and bad days but most are good . It is all a learning experience and a good test of your character.

no "in control"

not a Guard, I'm exactly the same as yourself just a Reservist, I was in the first group last year, its exactly how you put it yourself, attidude, experience & common sense will see you through most of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭iandromiskin

not a Guard, I'm exactly the same as yourself just a Reservist, I was in the first group last year

Your first assessment is due soon is it ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 andy1971

I have been involved in the interview process since last April, and I have been finally called for a medical in January. However I am now beginning to have second thoughts for the following reasons:

I work all week 9 to 5 and am free most evenings, I would have no problem doing any night during the week or a reasonable amount of weekend duty. However it seems that the majority of reserves are required to work every friday and saturday night. I have a young family and want to contribute to the reserves but if I am required to do the fri and sat shift week in week out I will have to leave the reserves. Is it only loners they are after who never had any life to begin with or has any one any experience of other duty hours?

The power of arrest will have to be dealt with sooner or later or it might as well be the civil defense we are joining.:mad:

Advertisement