Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 on standby

Hi guys,
    I have been following this thread from pretty much the beginning and have to say it is fantastic to see how well the reserve has progressed in 14 months in regards to establishment and to see such a nice clientèle signing up. I like many others am playing the waiting game.
    I applied in august 2007 for the dublin area.
    I successfully passed my exam and interview last February.
    I completed and submitted the GR2 Form in March and in July sat down with the superintendent for a chat which i feel went well as he told me he was happy with my application and said he would forward it on. He was genuinely a very nice guy.
    I sent an email to the Garda Reserve just to ask for a status on my application last week and i received a prompt reply thanking me for my patience and cooperation as they are still waiting for information to come back. Is there anybody else out there who applied last august and are in a similar position. I would be mighty disappointed if it fell through at this stage.

Sorry guys that was August 2006 when I applied (still at work)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

Hey 'on standby' u've been waiting for over a year!!!! wow.. Must of been a mistake on their part. You should ring them, i found ringing is better than e-mailing them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭geo1212

on standby wrote:
    Sorry guys that was August 2006 when I applied (still at work)

You must have fallen through the cracks, that was when the original application ad. went in. Get on the phone to the Reserve office in the Park to find out what happened with your application.

geo1212 wrote:
    You must have fallen through the cracks, that was when the original application ad. went in. Get on the phone to the Reserve office in the Park to find out what happened with your application.
    GEO1212
    Well i should probably have also mentioned that i needed to apply for exemption from the leaving cert. Even though i have one and some third level schooling i never quite made the grades in irish so they did tell me that exempt applications were been delt with at a later stage so im sure that has played a part in the hold up. I have rang in the past and i have never really been given the all clear with the GR2, officially anyway. All in all i don't want to be a burden and I'm sure if there were any problems i would have known by now. Are you told when your GR2 is clear or does the process just continue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭iandromiskin

on standby wrote:
    GEO1212
    Are you told when your GR2 is clear or does the process just continue.

Not really. They can actually send you for a medical without security clearance, and they state that on the email when they send it to you. I was waiting 6 months since I sent in my GR(2) and was never really told I was ok, only after the medical and phonecall. When I did ring up or email I was told it was still in process. Flip all you can do but wait, but I would ring or email them just for your own peace of mind. By the way, stick at it, otherwise you'll never know if you would have made it or not. Don't give up. The hardest thing about this process is the wait, but it will be worth it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Hi,Im exempt from leaving also,have my interview nxt wk,no delay as far as I can see,although I havent passed that yet,see how it goes,I had to call them to see why it took so long for interview,got one within a week of the call,always helps to push a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 The Big E

people in my class , were exempt Leaving cert, up to the commissioner, also applies to the regular gardai as well.

The hardest thing about this process is the wait, but it will be worth it in the end.

I agree, I am just as enthusiastic as i was on day one and i am sure it will all be worth the wait in the end. I sent an email last week and i did get a quick response but no specifics were given. I might leave it until next week to give them a call to see exactly what they are waiting for just to put my mind at rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

baton charge with that user name you'll fit straigh in with the thug reserve...
    And if your stupid enough you might become a full member

MOD: Anymore of that and you are out of here, Infraction issued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

Sorry, to answer your question, you need to list details of both sides of your family - so relatives from both your mother and fathers side. In my case my father left when I was young and I had to contact all my relatives on that side for their DOB etc. Not easy but necessary, but it just goes to show the level of detail your going to need. Also remember - be totally honest, don't fib as if anything at all turns up in the security check that you didn't reference they may ask questions or disqualify you from the next stage.

Thanks Ian:) and congratulations on your success so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

many of the ppl on this thread applying for the full gardai this year? im thinking of applying to the reserves if im not successful must be good for the interview etc if u are....have a mate in the reserrves whi just graduated 2 weeks ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭controller

Hi, I'm new to boards. I am considering the Guards as a Career. I'm in my late twenties and have missed the most recent recruitment campaign. I've been advised it would be of benefit to join the Reserves. I'm wondering if anybody could offer advise on this or the Guards in general. Is late twenties a bit old to b joining?? Post publically or privately, all help greatly appreciated:)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

controller wrote: »
    Hi, I'm new to boards. I am considering the Guards as a Career. I'm in my late twenties and have missed the most recent recruitment campaign. I've been advised it would be of benefit to join the Reserves. I'm wondering if anybody could offer advise on this or the Guards in general. Is late twenties a bit old to b joining?? Post publically or privately, all help greatly appreciated:)

Hi Controller,
    I think it would be in your best interests if you joined the Reserves as it is almost a near pre requisite at this point in time.It shows your interested.It would certainly be a talking point in your interview if you didn't.
    As regards age there is a guy in training for the full time Garda in his early 30's at the mo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

I think it would be in your best interests if you joined the Reserves as it is almost a near pre requisite at this point in time.It shows your interested.It would certainly be a talking point in your interview if you didn't.

Membership of the Reserve is nowhere near being a pre-requisite of joing the Gardai, where are you getting that from?

Join the Reserve if you want, but it's not giving you any major advantage over the other applicants.

Don't worry about your age either, there's plenty of students in the college who are in or around their 30's.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

cushtac wrote: »
    Membership of the Reserve is nowhere near being a pre-requisite of joing the Gardai, where are you getting that from?

Join the Reserve if you want, but it's not giving you any major advantage over the other applicants.

Don't worry about your age either, there's plenty of students in the college who are in or around their 30's.

Baton Charge is correct. It certainly helps to be in the Reserve Force if you are going for the Full Time Garda, my friends Son who is 31 was one of the first intakes into the Reserves and he has just been accepted into training for the Full Time. As a result he had no interview with Public Appointmets and no Medical as that was done for the Reserves and he finds it is helping him with the knowledge he gained in the short time he was with the Reserves. Of course he has to have the same training as the Full Time.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

I take your point Cushtac but it's like applying for Nursing if you did a stint in the Knights of Malta Etc it will increase your chances of been accepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Lilibet

Hi Controller,
    As regards age there is a guy in training for the full time Garda in his early 30's at the mo.

Can you post a link to where it says membership of the reserves is a pre requisite for applying for the Gardai please? I've checked the PAS site and the Garda site and can't find anything about it.My daughter is due to attend for the aptitude test this week and as she has to miss important college lectures to attend,she will not bother if this is the case as she is not a member of the reserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Hi,that was just an opinion,you do not need to be a reserve,he simply means it would be better,like going for a job and having some experience it helps a little,there is a board for the aptitude tests on boards.ie also,search for garda aptitude and you should find it.Best of luck for your daughter.

Lilibet wrote: »
    Can you post a link to where it says membership of the reserves is a pre requisite for applying for the Gardai please? I've checked the PAS site and the Garda site and can't find anything about it.My daughter is due to attend for the aptitude test this week and as she has to miss important college lectures to attend,she will not bother if this is the case as she is not a member of the reserves.

Lilibet,

I have heard nothing about it being a pre-requisite to have been a Reserve member before joining full time, the idea probably stemmed from a rumour, so tell your daughter to continue as normal.

• Advertisement

Hi,that was just an opinion,you do not need to be a reserve,he simply means it would be better,like going for a job and having some experience it helps a little,there is a board for the aptitude tests on boards.ie also,search for garda aptitude and you should find it.Best of luck for your daughter.

Hey leinsterdude,

where bouts you attached

I take your point Cushtac but it's like applying for Nursing if you did a stint in the Knights of Malta Etc it will increase your chances of been accepted.

While it does indeed show interest & community involvement, membership of the Reserve is no more of an advantage than membership of the RDF or Civil Defence. In the interview you'll be dealing with two Garda officers and three civil servants, and the chances of them having had contact with a Reservist are slim.

You also have to remember that you have to complete a computer scored aptitude test and a complete a background check before you get to the interview.

Until they actually give extra marks for membership of the Garda Reserve, like the Defence Forces do for members of the RDF going for cadetships, it won't be a quantifiable advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

While it does indeed show interest & community involvement, membership of the Reserve is no more of an advantage than membership of the RDF or Civil Defence. In the interview you'll be dealing with two Garda officers and three civil servants, and the chances of them having had contact with a Reservist are slim.

You also have to remember that you have to complete a computer scored aptitude test and a complete a background check before you get to the interview.

Until they actually give extra marks for membership of the Garda Reserve, like the Defence Forces do for members of the RDF going for cadetships, it won't be a quantifiable advantage.

Garda Reserves do an aptitude test and under go the same interview, in fact I was interviewed with some of the ones applying for the Full time. We undergo the same Medical and background (security) check. As I said my nephew as he had the interview for the Reserves hadn't got to do the interview again so they do take recognition of the fact that you had done the interview and medical for the Reserves.
    Can I ask what is your opinion of what you know of the Reserves and their role in the Force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Lilibet

Thanks all for the replies.She will go ahead and do the Aptitude and see how the first step goes.She has plenty of voluntary/community work in her life and maybe it will help,maybe not.I guess if they feel shes not suitable,no amount of community work will make a difference.

I agree with freddiew, You need to refresh your memory and review the application process for reserve garda, cushtac.
    It is a big advantage and also a great experience to have on joining the Guards full time, It might not be engraved in stone but it is a decision based on initiative during the interview process that will make you stand out.
    I work with full time guards on a full time basis and they would agree.

freddiew wrote: »
    Garda Reserves do an aptitude test and under go the same interview, in fact I was interviewed with some of the ones applying for the Full time. We undergo the same Medical and background (security) check. As I said my nephew as he had the interview for the Reserves hadn't got to do the interview again so they do take recognition of the fact that you had done the interview and medical for the Reserves.
    Can I ask what is your opinion of what you know of the Reserves and their role in the Force.

Hi Freddiew,

While Reservists do a test in the beginning, in fairness, and unless they have changed it since I did it, its pretty basic, and not on the same level as the actual apptitude test required for full time. As far as we were told the medical and security checks are exactly the same as for full time, but not entirely sure about the interview process, but I would imagine its pretty similar.
    At the same time I have heard that it may happen down the line that there might be some sort of transfer process where Reservists could be fast tracked through the application process to start training for full time, but it is the Guards, and rumours do grow legs fairly quick.

I've worked on Garda recruitment & I have never heard of anyone being excused the interview or medical on the basis of being a Reservist.

They might be a useful addition to the Gardai, it'll depend on how they're employed & how they evolve.

on standby wrote: »
    I agree with freddiew, You need to refresh your memory and review the application process for reserve garda, cushtac.

I wasn't commenting on the selection process for the Reserves, I was commenting on the process for the full-timers. My point was that before knowledge of an applicant's membership of the Reserves comes to light they must first pass the aptitude test, where such membership gives no advantage.
    It is a big advantage and also a great experience to have on joining the Guards full time, It might not be engraved in stone but it is a decision based on initiative during the interview process that will make you stand out.

It's an advantage over a 'bog standard' applicant, but it is no more of an advantage than membership of similar voluntary groups.
    I work with full time guards on a full time basis and they would agree.

Unless you're working with the Supers on the interview board, the opinions of those Gardai count for nothing when it comes to this.

I wasn't commenting on the selection process for the Reserves, I was commenting on the process for the full-timers. My point was that before knowledge of an applicant's membership of the Reserves comes to light they must first pass the aptitude test, where such membership gives no advantage.

It's an advantage over a 'bog standard' applicant, but it is no more of an advantage than membership of similar voluntary groups.

Unless you're working with the Supers on the interview board, the opinions of those Gardai count for nothing when it comes to this.

That was'nt a knock! Just opinions :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭controller

Lilibet wrote: »

My God, I'm sorry to have opened up such a can of worms!!! As little as I know, I'm sure on one thing, the Reserves are not a pre-requisite, so I would urge you that your daughter not cancel her aptitude based on such a theory. I have been adviced by members of the Gardai that it MAY be of help, again that is an opinion, but I can see it probably wouldn't do any harm. Your daughter need only say she has her heart set on a Career in the Gardai and knows she would be happier in a full-time role.

Also many thanks to everyones help so far in my query regarding the Reserves/Full time Gardai.

Advertisement