Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**** you Ireland!

Options
  • 04-11-2007 2:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭

While we have many reasons to be proud of our culture and our history and while we have the comparatively rare opportunity to make a statement to the world, we all know damn well that we wont. We will continue to be a poor mockery of UK culture and will be angry about how our version is not Irish enough despite the fact that we make no effort at all..
    I absolutely love this country; its heritage, history and art, but in all fairness, inn 2007, who gives a ****?
    Everything that may be potentially developmental is dismissed and Dublin continues to be a city with a massive faceless suburban population.

We have a magnificent heritage, but for some reason we wont express it to to the world...? Why? Some of the oldest structures in the world are from here, why dont we boast this heritage?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Archeron wrote: »
    why dont we boast this heritage?

A large sentiment of self-hatred among the masses.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

We have a magnificent heritage, but for some reason we wont express it to to the world...? Why? Some of the oldest structures in the world are from here, why dont we boast this heritage?
    Read How the Irish Saved Civilisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Because, somebody would object?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Because it would cost too much.

Where is this thread going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JohnnyStones

This ain't the best country in the world, and it definitely ain't the worst!

what do you want?
    seriously?

thing's could be a lot badder:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Irish History should be taught more in 1st-3rd year rather than learning about the ****ing renaissance...
    The worst thing is if you are seen to be proud of those who died fighting for our independence,you are seen as a shinner or a physical force republican.Of course,I am neither.I condemn the Troubles,terrible times.I do not support SF/IRA and am completely opposed to violence in modern day politics.But nowadays if you are seen buying the Easter Proclamation in Easons people think 'ahh,an IRA supporter'.I mean we are the one country that is not proud of its begininings!Look at US with 4th of July yet over here the majority could not give a ****!The reason we do not celebrate our country is because of the majority's ignorance of our history

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Because 'the carnage on our roads' is always more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,391 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I find it ironic that the vast majority of what the kids are taught as history is "us vs. The Brits and how great the government is" and then we adopt a lot of what they do wholesale.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭Archeron

This ain't the best country in the world, and it definitely ain't the worst!

what do you want?
    seriously?

thing's could be a lot badder:)

Something, anything that expresses to the world the unique and ancient heritage of this little island. We can dream among the best of them, but we just dont seem able to put it into practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I personally lay the blame at the door of the angsty whiners that do nothing but bitch, moan and / or criticise and never provide any constructive ideas.

• Advertisement

A bit more of the ancient history would be welcomed alright, it tends to be ignored completely.
    About the only major government initiative to try and foster our culture is the enforcement of Irish in schools, and we all know how that little social engineering project is going for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Karoma wrote: »
    I personally lay the blame at the door of the angsty whiners that do nothing but bitch, moan and / or criticise and never provide any constructive ideas.

Ya just like the people who are "talking down the economy" :rolleyes:

Something, anything that expresses to the world the unique and ancient heritage of this little island. We can dream among the best of them, but we just dont seem able to put it into practice.

I know what your saying

but why worry about what people from other countries think about our country?

that's being insecure;

:)
    it could be worse you could be German/French/Italian/English...etc

being Irish is better than that:)

Orange69 wrote: »
    Ya just like the people who are "talking down the economy" :rolleyes:

Shure I don't know why d-d-dey don't go and commit suicide ta be shure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭Archeron

I know what your saying

but why worry about what people from other countries think about our country?

that's being insecure;

it could be worse you could be German/French/Italian/English...etc

being Irish is better than that:)

And at the end of it all we have a wonderfully flat and wet country. (Which I love, rain is cool), but the period in which we can express ourselves to the world is being lost in a sea of lowest tender mundanity. Thats sad.

Myth wrote: »
    Shure I don't know why d-d-dey don't go and commit suicide ta be shure.

Nice one :D

And at the end of it all we have a wonderfully flat and wet country. (Which I love, rain is cool), but the period in which we can express ourselves to the world is being lost in a sea of lowest tender mundanity. Thats sad.

And tell the world what exactly?

River dance, trad music, rubbish comedians, terrible sports teams? ....and the rest.

what is it you think we should express to the world?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭KIVES

And tell the world what exactly?

River dance, trad music, rubbish comedians, terrible sports teams? ....and the rest.

what is it you think we should express to the world?

Nice one - methinks the 'proud of our heritage' thing is one big yawn - face it...we're all mongrels when you trace our heritage back 1500 years...We didn't land in Ireland rather Ireland landed on us...a couple of years from now we'll all be pushing up the daisies so arguments about what Ireland represents are mere follies...we're smug and we're proud and if some of the things that happened in this country in the last 10 years or so happened in Latin America, there would have been a Revolution...Heritage means nothing when your lying on a hospital trolley waiting for a bed+some reasonable health care

KIVES wrote: »
    Nice one - methinks the 'proud of our heritage' thing is one big yawn - face it...we're all mongrels when you trace our heritage back 1500 years...We didn't land in Ireland rather Ireland landed on us...a couple of years from now we'll all be pushing up the daisies so arguments about what Ireland represents are mere follies...we're smug and we're proud and if some of the things that happened in this country in the last 10 years or so happened in Latin America, there would have been a Revolution...Heritage means nothing when your lying on a hospital trolley waiting for a bed+some reasonable health care

I can't believe this but that's an excellent point KIVES

But you forgot about the SCONES!:)

JS and KIVES,
    GET A ****IN ROOM!!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

Well said Archeron, your dead right. We have money, why should we care about something as important as culture eh! Sure we can all drop down to boots or tesco or dunnes or tommy hilfiger tomorrow and purchase some temporary happiness. All of a sudden we're rich in matierials and poor in culture but nobody seems to give a f**k. Shame on us all, myself included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭KIVES

eroo wrote: »
    JS and KIVES,
    GET A ****IN ROOM!!:rolleyes:
    JohnnySones makes a valid point and I reply with an equally valid point and you reply with a cheap shot like a cheeky First Year sat at the back of the class - What's your contribution? Or failing that I challenge you to a Duel in Carrickmacross on the afternoon of the 15th November...

My contribution was and still is:GET A ****IN ROOM!!

My contribution was and still is:GET A ****IN ROOM!!

Alright KIVES are you up for that?
    you book the room, where's carrickmaccross?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

anyone ive met and talked to outside of ireland think that its a GREAT country and they've either been there and loved it, or really really want to visit. so someones doing something right! :) others think its great and lovely and such, so why cant we? its got a lot going for it. great festivals (seriously, for a country of 4 mill or whatever, its doing pretty bloody well...even the slightly ****e ones are better than nothing), fantastic scenery and architecture, a proud history... sure there are some issues with politics and infrastructure but what country doesnt have these problems?

Alright KIVES are you up for that?
    you book the room, where's carrickmaccross?
    anywhere near Hackballscross?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Cionnfhaolaidh

The biggest threat to Irish culture is the loss of the Irish language.

Our government needs to reverse the damage they have done (and are still doing) to the Irish language. They've actively butchered the language with their ridiculous Irish curriculum in State schools.

The most visual disregard of Gaeilge by our government can be seen on our public signage. "Let's promote English by reducing the importance of Gaeilge on our signage (lowercase italics anyone?).

"Irish Rail", as it's now called, have also erected ridiculous "bi-lingual" signage with Gaeilge in orange text; this makes it completely invisible at night under the sodium lighting at DART stations - see for yourself. Are they taking the piss or what?

Luas: They first had completely bi-lingual audio announcements on the Luas but after a few months they removed the Gaeilge announcements "as it may cause confusion to passengers", and they instead opted for English-only announcements, with the only Gaeilge announcment being the name of the stop - same goes for all Irish Rail trains.

How about Dublin Bus (once know as Bus Átha Cliath) - Dublin Bus used to be good in promoting the Irish language by making sure that Gaeilge came before English, and was always the same font size as English. You will notice now that their new bus fleet mostly shows English on the digital destination signage.

So who actually promotes the Irish languiege today?
    Gaeilscoileanna - set up by Irish people and not the Irish government.
    TG4 - originally set up a as pirate TV station in the Gaeltachtaí against the wishes of the Irish Government.

So, I wouldn't say "Fúck You Ireland", I'd say Fúck the Irish Government for destroying our language, the backbone of our culture. Sure even our own Taoiseach can't speak Irish and obviously can't be bothered learning it, so why should anyone else?

anywhere near Hackballscross?

That sound's nasty:D

carrickmearse:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

KIVES: Shut up.
    JohnnyStones: Shut up.
    eroo: Shut up.

That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

dfx- wrote: »
    Because 'the carnage on our roads' is always more important.

When a country is in a 'softly softly' crisis, everything else is more important.

Advertisement