Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the boards.ie photography exhibition wild plan I had

• 18-10-2007 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I was thinking more about this today.

I have set up a flickr group called boards exhibition. I was going to suggest that anyone who was interested could sign up and submit one photograph to the group and that we might use this pool as a demo idea of what kind of photographs are covered by the group. Someone suggested that local authorities occasionally have funding for this sort of thing and I think it might be possible to write a reasonable proposal to the arts officers perhaps to highlight the social and community building aspects of loose groupings like these.

One thing I would insist on is that each person interest only submits ONE photograph. One only. I'll leave it around as an idea for a few weeks while I start drafting funding requests and also identify potential locations and targets of this.

If you're not on flickr but are on pix.ie let me know and I'll see about making a tag. I don't think groups are set up there yet. What I could subsequently do if pictures are split across the two sites is host the final full selection on one of my own sites of which I have more than one anyway.

How many Prints will be submitted? 4 votes

I will be submitting a print.
    0%
    I may be submitting a print.
    100%
    GristlyEndmelekalikimakaFajitas!ThOnda 4 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Sounds like a very interesting plan.

But, maybe you should pick a topic - landscape, wildlife, people or something, otherwise, due to the very diverse nature of the photography here, you could have a very very mixed set of photos. A theme might be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭WexfordMusings

Nice idea. I agree that having set themes would also be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

Calina has her parachute-skateboarding-on-water thingy, I have the football, you have the rugby, Paulw, and others have gigs etc. Would having a specific theme reduce the chance of certain people being able to display what they believe to be their best work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭WexfordMusings

You see, this is how a good idea gets hard to organise - lol.

I have what??? LOL. Yeah, right.

You could see some people on here have stunning work, in their specific area - Danny and his wildlife, city-exile and sport (soccer mostly), calina and kite-surfing, Julie and macro, etc etc.

This place is just full of really brilliant talent, there's no doubt about that at all. But, I do think some theme might just glue the exhibition together, rather than just a collection of boards photographs.

• Advertisement

Come back to us when you have a theme, Paulw. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

I'd be for diversity and no set theme myself.

Great idea.

I'd be one of those on Pixie and not on Flickr also.

Why not set up a user on Pixie (if Marcus agrees) and we PM you on Boards for the password to upload a shot?

T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Covey wrote: »
    I'd be for diversity and no set theme myself.

There we have it!! The theme is: Diversity. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Sounds like a good idea, but for this type of thing, I think a certain theme might be a bit restrictive... As mentioned, everyone has their own certain area that they are interested in, and that's what makes good pictures on this forum...

If perhaps there could be a theme that is pretty generic that could span across all these areas then that might work.... But coming up with that theme is another thing :o

Valentia wrote: »
    There we have it!! The theme is: Diversity. :D

Busy at work over there? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

I think a theme would be great... even better if people go out and take a photo for the exhib because it'd be fresh!

The exhibition could be "Boards Eye View" (boards.ie view) & the theme could be anything linked to this forum. A picture taken on a boards meet, a pitcure inspired by advice from other forum members or even a picture taken of forum members.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,185 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how about a picture which must feature a picture taken by another boards member somewhere in the frame?
    the possibilities for infinite regress would be great.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Love the idea, I'd like to do a showcase of the talent here ideally. So here are several easy ideas (I think).

1. Lots of different themes and let people put more then one photo up (why limit it to one photo each and miss out on a lot of great photos!)

2. One set for each user and let them display their best work.

3. Move the monthly Challenges there and widen the voting on it to all of boards.

I would love to do a physical exhibition too but I dont know anywhere that would allow us to and thats a lot more work!

For any costs in any of the above, Boards will pick up the tab.

DeV.

I think the idea of one photo per person is good. Maybe a max of 2 but no more. There are so many photographers on here, and a limited exhibition would be needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Covey wrote: »
    Busy at work over there? :p

What?? You mean you have the time to read and not contribute? Shame!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Get in touch with the dublin city libraries and the county coucil ones they often will have such exhibitions what will move from branch to branch or get in touch with the http://www.draiocht.ie/ or http://www.thisisnotashop.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I am up to my eyes this afternoon so sorry for the slight delay.

I want to make it absolutely clear that I have a deep and principled objection to the idea of applying a theme to this exhibition. When I say deep and principled objection, I mean to the extent of abandoning the project altogether if the balance of preference is for a theme.

Ultimately, I wanted to highlight the diversity of styles and subjects covered by this. You'll notice that in the first post I referred to the community building. That community didn't get built because we all took the same photographs. It got built because we opened each other's eyes to a wealth of different styles and talents. I want the photographs to come from anywhere within each photographer's archive. I don't want the choice to be limited by any concept other than what you personally consider to be your best photograph or the photograph you particularly want to exhibit. Applying a theme - in my opinion - is an artifical construct and is exclusive rather than exclusive.

I have no objection to calling the exhibition "Boards Eye View" (great title C-E). I have massive objections to providing a framework on choice so in terms of making it linked to this board in some way...I really don't think it's a good idea.

Apart from People's Exhibition, to my knowledge, we haven't tried to organise this before. I'd like it to be simple, particularly if I'm doing the bulk of the work here. I have a lot on my shoulders, but I also feel that this is something which could be very interesting for all participants. Whilst it may be a comfort to some people to have a theme to work to, it may have the impact of causing others to feel they do not quite fit in. That, in fact, is exactly how I felt when I saw Paulw's response, for example.

Rojo: it is not practical to tell people to do a particular photograph for this exhibition. Given the large number of people potentially involved, and given their lives, it would be kinder to tell them to go through their archive and select one. Not everyone gets what they want in a given time frame. I'd be saddened, for example, if Danny's shots from Valentia were excluded because the theme was shoot for exhibition. He may not choose those photographs anyway, but I'd like him to have the option.

magicbastarder: you're losing the run of yourself into the area of digital art somewhere plus there is the question of copyrights and derivative works. Currently only one of my photographs is released for derivative works. I don't intend to change that and I wouldn't consider it the point of this exhibition to force others to do so. Again, it's an artificial construct which limits people's ability to show off the full scale of their ability and chosen field.

In summary then: no theme. Absolutely no theme.

Regarding photographs to be submitted to either the flickr group or pix.ie tag/userid which ever we go for, it does not have to be a final choice per se. This may take months to sort out and people are constantly improving, changing their opinion on their shots. The idea is to have something to show the people who might - and I really mean might - be able to give us funding. Mounting exhibitions can be prohibitively expensive and we don't have space of our own. We will need help to do it and an indication of what we have to offer is what I have in mind here.

DeVore wrote: »
    Love the idea, I'd like to do a showcase of the talent here ideally. So here are several easy ideas (I think).

1. Lots of different themes and let people put more then one photo up (why limit it to one photo each and miss out on a lot of great photos!)

2. One set for each user and let them display their best work.

3. Move the monthly Challenges there and widen the voting on it to all of boards.

I would love to do a physical exhibition too but I dont know anywhere that would allow us to and thats a lot more work!

For any costs in any of the above, Boards will pick up the tab.

DeV.

DeV,

I've only just seen this. Firstly, thanks for contributing to the thread.

In part this was inspired because my local camera club has been exhibiting with their local authority and I had thrown the idea into the air a few months ago, had the interest but not the time to bring it further (I'd been thinking about Christmas).

What you're suggesting I think is an online exhibition space beyond the current disparate selection of pictures hosted on people's own accounts? I like that idea as well.

The one picture limit was issued from the point of view of trying to compile a physical exhibition and my original plans involved the Dublin local authorities, the Cork ones and the Waterford ones and maybe also Galway because there are large numbers of boardsies in those areas.

If people are interested in DeV's idea, then I can maybe look into that in the shorter term if Fajitas and elven are happy enough to let it go that way (where are you guys today btw?).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Calina wrote: »
    I want to make it absolutely clear that I have a deep and principled objection to the idea of applying a theme to this exhibition.

Calina I'm completely with you on this. Themes are restrictive and exclusive (or non-inclusive).

If my best picture is of my Auntie Mai's lilies and the theme is narcissism in the 19th century the I'm outta luck. Similarly if Elven's best picture is of shoes and the theme is bog-snorkeling ...

Maybe you should lash up a poll ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I would be interested in this too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I'd chip in from this end of the pond. IR a go go!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I was only think about this on Saturday night at the Germany game. It really was that boring.

I think the NO Theme idea is good as each person submits a picture we'll find that the theme or theme's will develop by themselves.

(Not sure that makes sense)

I like the idea of doing a physical Exhibition It would be nice to see what some of our work looks like blown up.

Here's another idea to throw in if we do a physical exhibition would people be also interested in selling their work. It could either (a) fund the exhibition or (b) fund their obession.

Just another idea.

hughchal wrote: »

If my best picture is of my Auntie Mai's lilies and the theme is narcissism in the 19th century the I'm outta luck.

You should have taken the daffodils.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

mmm... just read the VAT thread maybe selling prints might give us a headache we don't need

trishw78 wrote: »
    mmm... just read the VAT thread maybe selling prints might give us a headache we don't need

No it won't.
    Advice from the Revenue was that I should keep a record of any income from photography & any related expenses. At the end of the year, my additional income would be calculated. Given the relatively low amounts involved, I shouldn't have to pay much extra tax.

The key thing was NOT to charge VAT on any pictures that I sell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Muineach

or do what the church/museums do, have a "contribution" box :P with a big sign on it with the prices :D

yep I'm definetly gonna burn for some of this.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

nice idea. agree with no themes. however, flickr group linky no worky

non aliased link. wonder what happened there cos it were working this afternoon when I set it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

Great idea! I'll join in if nobody minds. Fourth/fifthed? on no theme though, if you want to show the wide range of styles people here have.

Advertisement