Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oscar Wilde & Spike Milligan: Irish or British?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Gauge wrote: »
    Haha, I'd forgotten about the tendency to claim Colin Farrell as British:

KATE THORNTON: Now lets talk about Colin because in the UK he’s become the man of the moment.

SAMUEL L.JACKSON: Really? Only in the UK?

KT: Well everywhere but we kind of claim him as our own because he’s from Ireland.

SLJ: You can’t claim him because he’s from Ireland.

KT: Well we do because it’s close by. (laughter)

SLJ: Ok. That’s the source of all the conflict over there. You people always claiming the Irish as yours. We got a little problem just like that here called slavery but that’s ok we don’t need to talk about that so lets go. (more laughter)

LOL i spend ages trying to remember that when i saw this thread first!! it was hilarious to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Hagar wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that anybody who's parent(s) were born in Ireland prior to 1/1/1949 can claim British citizenship by descent ie child of a British subject?

That would cover a huge chunk of the population if it were true.
    I don't know about that.

I know people who themselves were born prior to that date are entitled to a British passport. Not sure about their children.

If it is the case, then I'm entitled to one.

KATE THORNTON: Now lets talk about Colin because in the UK he’s become the man of the moment.

KT: Well everywhere but we kind of claim him as our own because he’s from Ireland.

SLJ: Ok. That’s the source of all the conflict over there. You people always claiming the Irish as yours. We got a little problem just like that here called slavery but that’s ok we don’t need to talk about that so lets go. (more laughter)

What chammel was this interview on?Is it real?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

Hagar wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that anybody who's parent(s) were born in Ireland prior to 1/1/1949 can claim British citizenship by descent ie child of a British subject?

That would cover a huge chunk of the population if it were true.

Don't know if this answers the question or not.
    http://www.castlebar.ie/board/0403/65688.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

They're Irish when their gay and depressed. They're British when their funny and famous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The British always say things like that - claiming people are theirs.
    Barry McGuigan for example : Whenever he won a fight it was a proud day for Britain, but whenever he lost it was a sad day for Ireland. Sure, apparantly Colin Farrell is British according to one of those ridiculous 'fabulous life of' type shows !

Bobby Kennedy.

Nuff said.

baztard wrote: »
    They're Irish when their gay and depressed. They're British when their funny and famous.

when they fight for the British Army, they're traitors and west brits, when they win wittiest Briton awards they're Irish.

Go Figure:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,025 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I expect that when St Patrick was around, the Christians adopted him as Irish but the pagans regarded him as a British bast*rd!

How times have changed, not:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Terry wrote: »
    I don't know about that.

I know people who themselves were born prior to that date are entitled to a British passport. Not sure about their children.

If it is the case, then I'm entitled to one.

AFAIK you are entitled to one but one (or both?) of your parents would have to apply for British citizenship first.

This was once suggested to me by a UK/French Defence company who said that with an Irish passport I'd be very lucky to get a job with them in the timeframe alloted (due to background checks - my dad was in the Irish army) but if my dad became British then I could get a British passport and avoid all the trouble.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but there is only one gay person in the world, he lives in a village in Wales.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Are people born in Australia British?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Was this interview in print/radio or TV? If its TV is it on youtube?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Mizu_Ger wrote: »
    Was this interview in print/radio or TV? If its TV is it on youtube?
    Why don't you find out?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Are people born in Australia British?
    They became "independant" a lot earlier I think didn't they, 190? I think?

robinph wrote: »
    They became "independant" a lot earlier I think didn't they, 190? I think?

Australia is not as attractive to the Brits, so it was let go sooner.

Sydney is too far to go for a stag weekend:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Both Wilde and Milligan are Polish.....duh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Yes. The 1801 Act of Union brought England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales under the banner and flag of the United Kingdom, the Union Jack.

Under the act, Ireland was renamed 'West Briton', and that's were the derogatory term 'West Brit' comes from.

So technically, Wilde was both Irish and British, in the way that we today can claim to be both Irish and European.

When Wilde went to Oxford, he tried to disguise the hints of his Irish accent. His mother was proud of being Irish and used to call him "my brave Irish boy" during his later trial.

You couldn't miss the point more if you tried.

I mean, you believe that the people of Ireland were British during this time and magically changed back once we became a republic? Life doesn't work like that.

What did the people consider themselves? I imagine some would of said Brits and the majority would of said Irish.

What you're saying is akin too:

[hypothetical]

Take a carton of milk. Change the label so it reads 'Orange Juice' and voila, it's orange juice!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's not, it's still milk, it's white, its milky, it comes from a cow, it's still milk, and if were capable of speaking for itself, and you asked it, it would tell you so.

[/hypothetical]

Do I understand why Wilde is reported as British? Yes, do I agree with it? Not really, you would have to ask him what he considered himself, if it were possible, imo.

There is a teenage boy somewhere in Mexico at this very moment wishing he was an American living in a penthouse in New York. Does this make him a citizen of the United States?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,025 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There is a teenage boy somewhere in Mexico at this very moment wishing he was an American living in a penthouse in New York. Does this make him a citizen of the United States?

Depends on whether he has any trouble getting his suitcases full of cocaine across the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

when they fight for the British Army, they're traitors and west brits, when they win wittiest Briton awards they're Irish.

Go Figure:D

No they were Irish before and after some magazine or whatever said they were witty. Go figure that lad

• Advertisement

Ireland was part of the UK, not the British Empire and therefore the Irish were entitled to a passport of the United Kingdon of Great Britain and Ireland.

despite what it may appear, not everyone in Pakistan, India, Australia, Jamaica etc are entitled to UK passports.

dodgyme wrote: »
    no the heart!

I'd agree with that.

No they were Irish before and after some magazine or whatever said they were witty. Go figure that lad

All those years living in Ireland must have made Spike the wit that he is. I wonder if Boards.india is having a debate about one of their sons being called Irish:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

are the arabs that live behind the israeli border palestinians, or israeli?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

My last word here... when Arthur Wesley, born in Dublin, was called an Irishman, he retorted by stating that just because one was born in a stable, it does not mean he's a horse...

boneless wrote: »
    My last word here... when Arthur Wesley, born in Dublin, was called an Irishman, he retorted by stating that just because one was born in a stable, it does not mean he's a horse...

doesn't make him Jesus either, which is probaby what he was referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

In Oscar Wilde's lifetime, Ireland was British, surely? So by that token, he was Irish and British, same as a person in Scotland today is Scottish and British or someone from Cardiff is Welsh as well as British.

As for Milligan, he had the choice and chose Irish, as has been said.

Well, by THAT logic then Ghandi would have been a great British person. I'm sure he'd appreciate that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Ponster wrote: »
    Are Irish people born in Ireland before 1922 entitled to British passports ?

Can you have dual Irish/British nationality ?
    If either parent was born in Ireland before 1947.

You can have dual nationality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

doesn't make him Jesus either, which is probaby what he was referring to.

No... the old Iron Duke just took exception to being called Irish. Didn't stop him collecting all the rents in his estates in Meath though...:p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Well, by THAT logic then Ghandi would have been a great British person. I'm sure he'd appreciate that
    Nope. India was a country within the British Empire, but Ireland was part of the United Kingdom at the time.

Advertisement