Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Printed Circuit Aided Design

Options
  • 01-10-2007 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Just wondering if anyone can recommend a book on the above topic?
    We've started using the package P-Cad and I'd like to get to know it better other than the basics we'll be learning on it.

Also does anyone know any free packages available, I'd like to get P-Cad itself, but I've a feeling the licenses are pretty high. I'd settle for a manual on it, but that doesn't even seem to exist.

Also is this a common package used in industry or is it one of many variations? If anyone has recommendations or advice where to start it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hi,

P-Cad is not bad, but not overly popular over this side of the Atlantic... It is quite expensive, from memory the schematic capture + layout tool will cost in the region of €10K... i think the schematic capture tool on its own is about €2.5K.... + maintenance each year...

PCAD is also a bit quirky with importing / exporting net lists between schematic & PCB program. Also the layout and schematic are not tightly coupled, which has advantages and disadvantages...

How complex is the product your designing? how many layers ect??

One of the most popular tools out there is ORCAD, but i haven't used it too much, so can't really comment, i do know that the SPICE simulations are quite good in it...

If your starting off i'd go for eagle, http://www.cadsoftusa.com, they even have a free version if you only need 2 layers and a small size... Also you can install the freeware version at home so you can learn about it... but even if you have to purchase it, its not too expensive, a fraction the cost of other CAD packages...
    http://www.cadsoftusa.com/freeware.htm
    http://www.cadsoftusa.com/prices.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

jesus, that's expensive, i was thinking maybe 7/800 not 10k! It' can't be that much, that's bananas!

Suprised the college even has 15 licenses for it then :P

Only starting out in the first year of an engineering course. So I'll give Eagel a go then, we don't even need a 2 layer pcb, the end of year project is only a 1 layer board. I more or less just want to get to know it better myself other than the basics.

Thanks for the advice DublinDilbert, recommend any reading material ? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

BoB_BoT wrote:
    jesus, that's expensive, i was thinking maybe 7/800 not 10k! It' can't be that much, that's bananas!

Suprised the college even has 15 licenses for it then :P

Only starting out in the first year of an engineering course. So I'll give Eagel a go then, we don't even need a 2 layer pcb, the end of year project is only a 1 layer board. I more or less just want to get to know it better myself other than the basics.

Thanks for the advice DublinDilbert, recommend any reading material ? :P

I'd say the college get the licenses dirty cheap...

Not sure about reading material.... I'd just download the free version of eagle and start playing with it... draw up some schematics and mess around with the layout....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_(program)

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

Can I suggest the open source tools gschem and pcb, . I was able to used them recently to produce a homemade pcb for my CycleRecorder project, also one of the main pcb developers has used them to develop an advanced alarm clock project. I found that The Circuit Designer's Companion was a good book on various pcb related topics, but it's not a beginners book.

Advertisement