Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

It's normally weekdays.You are given a choice of dates after you have submitted your GR2 form.Hope this is of some assistance it's what happened in my case anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 charliedog

i have no idea why any person would possibly want to join the garda reserves - i just dont get it - putting up with abuse and dressing up as a wannabe cop is beyond and no pay? theres something wrong definitely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭iandromiskin

charliedog wrote:
    i have no idea why any person would possibly want to join the garda reserves - i just dont get it - putting up with abuse and dressing up as a wannabe cop is beyond and no pay? theres something wrong definitely!

That seems to be a common reaction among people all right. I'am not in the Reserves (yet) but I am in process and I hope to make it all the way as its something I want to do and be part of. Most of the people applying and joining have been involved in communitiy activites of some sort and this is another way of doing something for the community at large. Its not a pretend cop thing at all nor does anyone have an axe to grind, its just we want to do something more for our community and country. That might sound naive or innocent, but thats really most peoples motives, mine anyway, for wanting to be part of it - even with the potential for abuse and no pay.

Well said Iandromiskin.It's not all about money it's about putting something back into the community.We may as well slate the Civil Defence the Lifeboat service and the Knights of Malta while we are at it with Charliedogs attitude.None of the people I have met so far ,who have joined the Reserve ,are on a power trip or are playing pretend Cop.I for one used to give out about the Gardai because they were never there when I needed them.When this oppurtunity presented itself I decided to join in order to make some small contribution to having a more visible Garda presence on the streets.So far I have to say it is very enjoyable and I think people like to talk to somebody who they can ipersonally identify with.I am too old to join the full time force but I still feel I can be of benifit to somebody by offering my time to something I feel is worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

leoak wrote:
    hithere , im lookin in to doing a course in the above subject !! whats your intake on that ???

It would depend on what particular area you are interested in. Ireland has limited courses in this field but it all depends on the area (e.g. forensic laboratory science/forensic analysis, forensic medicine/pathology...etc.)

I think this would go too far off-topic but please feel free to PM me with your ideas and areas of interest and I may be able to help you further.

Best,
    Preusse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

Well said everyone, I spend most of my spare time helping the homeless. I have a well paid job and it is not about finances, its about caring.

Too bad you can't go. I wonder if your loss might be my gain as I am still waiting to be called for my medical!!

Hi all,
    Dont worry you wont be asked to do the physical test as shown on the Garda website.All you will be required to do is self defence techniques which most should have no problem in passing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 babs-1

Hi Babs1. I was in a similar postition to you in relation to this, though maybe a bit early for you to be worrying about it this early if you havn't done your primary interview yet ?

hi, thanks for reply. it is early but i want to make sure there is any point in me going for this interview before i put myself through it because i hate interviews so much. suppose i could track everyone down if i had to but its people i (or my immediate family) dont really speak to. did you get your medical sorted?

babs you could try going to the local church in which your people were baptised if you have some idea when your relatives were born and in what parish????

• Advertisement

babs-1 wrote:
    did you get your medical sorted?

Hi Babs,
    Sort of. Definetly can't do the ones for September, but I got an email saying that the next intake will be in October so i'll be notified of medicals in advance of that intake and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Hi,anyone know how sticky this is,I dont have it but have a diploma and a cert in other areas,have my interview in Oct,wondering could the leaving cert issue do me any bad?

I wonder if any of the applicants for reserves have any concerns about things they may have gone through in the past,everyday things such as been a bit of a raver years ago,had a few penalty points but copped on since,been in a fight or 2 when young and now see how stupid that may have been,I know alot of people lern:confused: through mistakes,when I was 18 I went to raves as many people did then,does this make me a bad choice for resreves? what do you all think???? Interesting point? I mean basically if you are a good person with no crim record and good morals/intentions is that enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pat1187

can't see how it would make a difference if you do'nt have a criminal record, none of us are saints and would'nt want to be, so I would try not to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

anyone know what's happened to the GR forum?

http://gardareserve.freeforums.org/index.php

There was one time when it crashed and Grainne lost the whole thing, something about it being a free site she said. But as you say its gone again probably for the same reason. Pity too as it appeared to be working well.

Going for a medical on the 25th September. Oh God.......

Funny you should ask about the Penalty points.There is a question about it on the Medical form you get to fill in at the Phoenix Park.That said I know somebody who has two and he is a fully fledged Reservist now.
    Speak for yourself Pat I am up for Canonization sometime soon cheers.

There is a question about it on the Medical form you get to fill in at the Phoenix Park.

What else happens at the medical in terms of things to fill in ? I know you have to be there at 9.30 and probably all day assuming you don't fail a test, but how do they work it through the day ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I can only think the Garda Reserve applications are oversubscribed, I've just re-read my last communication from the Public Appointments Service dated 21/12/2006 stating that applicants seeking an exemption for the Leaving Certificate requirement (of which I'm one) will be notified of interview dates at a later stage, I'm still waiting!!

• Advertisement

Leinsterdude, what stage are you at now. Are you from Dublin.

does anyone know for certain how the recruiting is going at the moment?are they actively looking or what?

p.s. sitting beside the Super gets you a shorter stay in Purgatory,not an express ticket.

freddiew wrote:
    Leinsterdude, what stage are you at now. Are you from Dublin.
    Hi,kildare,but am going for Dublin as I dont want to wait,how about you,do you have an interview coming up?

Hi, I am waiting to be called for my Medical.

Is there any point in calling them as there are medicals scheduled for the 20th and 25th Septemer ? They emailed me with the dates.

I phoned Phoenix Park and they told me they are not forgetting me at they are waiting on the vetting agency to come back re my far away relations.

have you been out lately,Lucy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lipgloss

Hi everyone, have been reading this thread for a while now but this is my first post! im thinking of applying for the garda reserve but one thing that puts me off big time is i would be afraid that the reserve would get a hard time from the real gardai. is this true? i know that when the reserve was first introduced it said in the papers that the gardai were against it. it would be great if the reserves were accepted into the force by everyone. also is there any closing date. they must have enough applications by now so maybe im too late. thanks

Got a phone call from the GR office a short while ago asking to confirm if I am available for training from the 6th, so its official !
    Well done iandromskin, can you fill us in on exactly what the Medical consists of.

• Advertisement

freddiew wrote:
    Well done iandromskin, can you fill us in on exactly what the Medical consists of.

Hi.

Its a very simple basic medical really where you are examined by a nurse and doctor. They first test your blood pressure, lung capacity and hearing before your examined by a doctor for a physical exam and eye test. Just be sure your there on time at 9.30 and be prepared for a long wait depending on how many people are to be tested. My group had about 12 people and we had to wait between 1 - 2 hours for the examination. But its a very simple medical and nothing to worry about really providing your moderately fit and your told on the day if you passed or not too.

Advertisement