Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build log: (\/)0n0L17(-) II & HAL 1.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Anti wrote:
    Why ? I think its time you went with some watercoling now ;)

Sorry to hear about all the **** you went through though.

man i'd really love to go watercooling, but i'd really need an old machine to do my testing on first. I've never watercooled anything and I don't want to start on my main pc that i've JUST got finished.

I'm thinking I might just get the TR 120 extreme with my next order, I need a 1TB drive for my main pc (all these HD movies are destroying my disk space :rolleyes:) and i'm probably going to get a new monitor. Although i'm thinking this just might be a CPU that runs hot. At the moment its not a problem as I haven't played a game yet that slows this machine down at 1080p with everything maxed (the DiRT demo had me worried but the retail version, patched, seems to be a lot better optimized) but in the future i'd like to be able to overclock it and bleed some extra performance out of it.

Oh and I ended up using your method of applying the TIM. I tried putting one line down the middle, 2 lines down the middle, then tried your method of smudging the TIM using your finger in a plastic bag. All methods showed no difference in temps. The best I can get with balcony door open and the room so cold I need to wear a jumper is 38'c idle with all the fans on max.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

L31mr0d wrote:
    man i'd really love to go watercooling, but i'd really need an old machine to do my testing on first. I've never watercooled anything and I don't want to start on my main pc that i've JUST got finished.

I'm thinking I might just get the TR 120 extreme with my next order, I need a 1TB drive for my main pc (all these HD movies are destroying my disk space :rolleyes:) and i'm probably going to get a new monitor. Although i'm thinking this just might be a CPU that runs hot. At the moment its not a problem as I haven't played a game yet that slows this machine down at 1080p with everything maxed (the DiRT demo had me worried but the retail version, patched, seems to be a lot better optimized) but in the future i'd like to be able to overclock it and bleed some extra performance out of it.

Oh and I ended up using your method of applying the TIM. I tried putting onei line down the middle, 2 lines down the middle, then tried your method of smudging the TIM using your finger in a plastic bag. All methods showed no difference in temps. The best I can get with balcony door open and the room so cold I need to wear a jumper is 38'c idle with all the fans on max.

wow man i new quads got hot but not that hot !!!

i say watercooling and a new case as the p180 really is a anit watercooling case :D

maby a lian li v2000 so you can have to matching cases;)

btw the show on ur sig is from an anime called basslisk i think watched it awhile back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

awhir wrote:
    wow man i new quads got hot but not that hot !!!

i say watercooling and a new case as the p180 really is a anit watercooling case :D

maby a lian li v2000 so you can have to matching cases;)

btw the show on ur sig is from an anime called basslisk i think watched it awhile back.

I just picked up a Coolermaster Cosmos, not bad at all.

It already has space for the watercooling tubing and theres plenty of room in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

srdb20 wrote:
    I just picked up a Coolermaster Cosmos, not bad at all.

It already has space for the watercooling tubing and theres plenty of room in there.

Hisssss. That case and me do not see eye to eye at all.

Anti wrote:
    Hisssss. That case and me do not see eye to eye at all.

Ill post up pics in a few days, JUST FOR ANTI!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

• Advertisement

I'll tear my eyes out ;)

srdb20 wrote:
    Ill post up pics in a few days, JUST FOR ANTI!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

sweet... please do. This is more than likely going to be my next case so the more pics the better. Also detail how easy it was to work and maybe post a size comparison with something. Also detail how well it copes with noise.

L31mr0d wrote:
    sweet... please do. This is more than likely going to be my next case so the more pics the better. Also detail how easy it was to work and maybe post a size comparison with something. Also detail how well it copes with noise.

Noise wise its very good, i can barely hear any of the case fans and there whizzing away at full rpm's.

I currently have my tuniq maxed out as my temps are crazy at the moment so thats a bit audible (when i lower it down to around 50 - 60 % i cant hear it at all), and the only other noise i can hear is my raptors (just re installed vista and its indexing away, so this should hopefully stop soon enough)

Ye i took a few comparison pics of it against my P180, ill post them later...

The cable tidying features are good, though not as good as i was hoping for they still come in handy.

Hard drive and optical drives are a pure dream to work with and i have never had so much room to mess about with in a case.

Its by far the best case ive ever owned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Hey L31mrod I have same case and a Tuniq but a Q6600, I changed from the two 3 speed antec fans to quiet scythe fans they are through a fan controller. The tuniq fan is also through a controller and my idle temp is 29 when all three fans are turned down fairly low (I am only using the default motherboard overclock). I also have 2 standard antec 3 speed fans on low infront of the middle hdd caddy and between the power supply and lower hdd caddy.

I doubt its the problem but I have my Tuniq at the same orientation you changed to and I had to take the Tuniq fan out of its holder and turn it around so it was blowing into the top fan. If you have done that I think (This means i don't really have a clue) the top fan would have to turn faster than the Tuniq fan in order to get the heat away from it ASAP.

As with Srdb20 the Tuniq is whistly noisy when 60 - 100% but fine apart from that. As i said the iddle temp is 29 with the fans turned down low and turning them all on high only brings the temp down to 27, The northbridge temp goes from 50 down to 40 though, must buy fan for it. Hmm I have a voltage warning- CPU VTT 1.2V

do you have thermal throttling enabled? If so it could possibly account for the low temps. Also what program are you using to monitor temps?

Check to see what the clock of the CPU is presently at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Ext clock 266Mhz according to UGuru. Mystery solved on the temp side of things UGuru is a big pile of crap, coretemp says 37 for 3 cores 39 for 1. I put a probe on the Tuniq and it reading the same temp a uGuru. Would seem the Tuniq isn't drawing the heat away fast/efficiently enough. Will check throttling later im rebuilding my laptop so working on the comp right now.

TR 120 ultra extreme, the only way to go lads.

l31mr0d. If you want drop over your quad to me and ill test it on my TR ultra, see if there is much of a difference in temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

If it helps I can report the temps of my Q6600 (with Tuniq) when I get it going this week so you can compare.

Just a few pics of the Cosmos, none of the inside yet, i think ill wait untill i get my water cooling setup installed....

Side by side with the 180

My eyes, my poooooor eyes :(

wow its a sexy case.must say i like it .

Get out... /me points.

And never speak to me again you heathen :p

anti you must of gone to a brotherhood school and ur head techer must of been father cosmoss cuz thats the only explanation i can find to you not likeing this case.

all those bad nightmares.:rolleyes:

srdb20 wrote:
    Side by side with the 180

you should post a new thread with those pictures. People won't know to look in here to find comparision shots between the P180 and Cosmos. I know a lot of people have the P180 so they'd definitely be interested. Plus I imagine more and more people (bar Anti, although I still hold out hope ;)) will be buying the cosmos so a thread about it would serve as a nice place to post pictures and opinions, or flames in Anti's case, lol :)

Plus its taking my thread off topic which is my high temps.

I got a little scared last night, as I was playing Flatout2 and started getting artifacts and crashing... turns out my temps where grand and the card is fine but the WHQL nvidia drivers I installed the other day (to replace my old betas) where messing up all of my games. I installed the new beta drivers and now all is fine. Don't know what nvidia is up to, but ever since getting this 8800GTX the most stable drivers for me have always been the betas which is very strange.

• Advertisement

Im using the latest whql signed drivers and i have no problems at all. Have you cleaned off previous version of drivers before installing new ones?

I also picked myself up a B3 Q6600 today And i plan on overclocking it to 3ghz or above. Ill let you know how my temps are compared to yours when it arrives.

Anti wrote:
    I also picked myself up a B3 Q6600 today And i plan on overclocking it to 3ghz or above. Ill let you know how my temps are compared to yours when it arrives.

Thing is, With all my fans at full wack I can get my average core temp down to about 38'c in coretemp. But the noise coming out of the machine is unbearable.

I'm now thinking it might of been ntune that crapped up my system. As the artifacting usually only occurs when overclocking or overheating. I'd installed ntune yesterday and tested some overclocking and saved some profiles. I think ntune must of been loading one of the profiles, even though I had them disabled, or doing something else. I've been told to steer clear of ntune before but I wanted to use its GPU temperature logging when running games. Without it installed everything is back to running smooth. I'd also installed the nVidia NAM which was also crapping up my internet connection and giving me numerous CRC's in downloads. I now understand why nVidia are refusing to offer SLI support on Intel chipsets, because if they did i'd never buy an nVidia mobo again.

Heh. I only use ntune for gpu overclocking. And thats it. Everything else in it is a load of shíte. I tried the system tuning and when i increased the fsb 1mhz the pc bsod's. I also installed the nvidia network manager thing, and i had the exact same CRC problems you have. And it managed to have a huge fight with my upnp linksys router. It was reminissant of the thrilla in manila. So now i have as little nvidia software as possible.

Anti wrote:
    I also installed the nvidia network manager thing, and i had the exact same CRC problems you have.

which is VERY irritating... the nvidia NIC's have been dogged by these problems since NF3, you'd think they could fix them by now. Its also irritating as the NAM is purported to allow you to configure your TCP/IP settings to make them optimal for your home network, so you can tune it to work best with your own network. All these features are lost when you don't use the NAM :mad:

If I find Crysis can run grand on just 1 8800GTX i'll be selling this mobo and going for a nice, stable, reliable Intel chipset.

Yep, im thinking of the same, ill try it with a C2D and a C2Q clocked the same, and see if there is a difference. Will probably buy the 8900 as soon as it launches though.

As for the nvidia problem i found using the marvel youkon drivers worked for both the ethernet ports, but the NAM didnt work at all.

/me shakes fist at Nvidia.

yeah thanks awhir, I think i'll stick with the tuniq for the time being. I'm realizing I don't know what i'm worried about with the temps. My system is rock solid and i've yet to play any games that have even dropped the framerate below 60 (tried WiC, Bioshock and DiRT at 1080p all maxed out) I'll probably go up to 3Ghz and leave it there which should keep my temps around 80'c under load. If that doesn't cause BSODs i'll be happy with that.

In other news.. I received my replacement mobo from HWV *w00t!* have to say i'm very impressed with the turn around on that replacement. I sent it out 2 weeks ago, and they sent out the replacement the day they received it.

Well I pulled the Lian li out and got ready to install the mobo and all the other components again... then I realized I STILL had to install the Optical drive cover and the lian li fan controller... much frustration and time wasting followed :(

You can see on the Lian li site HERE that they clearly state that this bezel is "Only compatible with Lian-Li cases". Well it isn't compatible with MY lian li case :mad: There was no mounting holes to make it fit. I emailed Lian li about this, with a rather angry, semi threatening email stating it was flagrant misadvertising. Here's what they responded with.
    Lian li wrote:
    Dear Sir:

Thank you for used Lian Li products. About this we are very sorry. Our engineer and sales manager will be confirm then feedback to you.

ball0x to that, they couldn't even use proper english, I haven't heard anything since and really don't care at this stage.

So my options where to either sell on the bezel, or mod it and hope for the best. I wasn't about to give it to you feckers so modding it it was.

Here are the side lips on the drive cage that where first to go. A quick bit of dirty dremeling and they where gone.

ht83.JPG

ht84.JPG

Next I needed to bend the side mounts back, carefully making not to bend then too fast for fear of breaking them off.

ht85.JPG

Here it is lined up

ht86.JPG

After some rather frustrating attempts at mounting it and not getting it secure, I realized I needed to drill some holes in the optical drive :eek: Here are the holes lined up

ht87.JPG

Here they are drilled

ht88.JPG

Here it is finished with the fan controller. Let me tell you this was the messiest mod i've ever done, the amount of holes and bits I had to cut out to make this fit correctly was rediculous. For shame of them I haven't posted pictures of them. Lets just say whats behind this bezel is not pretty.

ht89.JPG

Here is a before:

ht68.JPG

... and here is the result... was it worth it, hell no! If I could go back I would just sell the flippin thing but I didn't realise it was going to be so difficult to mount. Still its done now

ht90.JPG

On a side I really do like the feet on this case, pity they aren't more visible in my HT unit

ht91.JPG

Here is the lian li logo on the case.

ht92.JPG

I picked up a 500GB Samsung drive off Latenia in town yesterday so i'll be putting that in my main rig today as a backup drive and getting the mobo installed in the HTPC (yes I still haven't done that yet, it took pretty much all of yesterday fitting that freakin bezel) :(

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

nice job man, did you tap the holes in the optical drive? very pr0 :D

conzymaher wrote:
    nice job man, did you tap the holes in the optical drive? very pr0 :D

lol, well spotted... but i couldn't find my tapping point and hammer so I used an old philips head and the heal off my shoe, lol, seriously. I've had to many drills go awol when trying to drill a hole that I always tap it first to make sure.

Just in the process of finishing it up now. It took a good hour and a half to properly setup the wiring for the fan controller. If I never have to open this case again it will be too soon. Note to self: Avoid mATX cases in the future

• Advertisement

more pics :D

very nice job man..

Advertisement