Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Hours of Autodesk Inventor CAD Work . . .

Options
  • 28-06-2007 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭

What would be the cost of about 2 hours max of CAD work ?

The job is to put a 3-D parametric design on file, along with accompanying Excel driver file.
    One part, not too complex.

Idea would be to start from plan and side-view projections.
    Then add the cross-sections at various along the side-view/plan.

Design is to be made parametric as it is a pattern for parts that have similar shape but different scale and/or proportions.

I'd like to know the going rate for a job like this.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

tak wrote:

The job is to put a 3-D parametric design on file, along with accompanying Excel driver file.

Design is to be made parametric as it is a pattern for parts that have similar shape but different scale and/or proportions.

Friends of mine charge anything from €100 an hour to a couple of grand per job.

A lot of the time it will come down to who you get as allot of people charge different rates for different jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

:eek: Fatcats !

€100 x 40 = €4,000 per week.

€4,000 x 45 (looks like they can afford good holidays) = €180,000 per annum.

:mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

tak wrote:
    :eek: Fatcats !

:mad:

Its not really like that. For small quick jobs a large rate would be applied. For larger jobs a set fee is applied.

All depends on the person

And these were based on nixer jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

"€4,000 x 45 = €180,000 per annum"

What does this sum mean, can you explain it to me?

Why Inventor? Why limit yourself to one package when others could be used and still produce a usable filetype?

What about going to a local college or tech and finding out if someone teaches CAD? Perhaps you could pay cash...?

dave2pvd wrote:
    "€4,000 x 45 = €180,000 per annum"

What does this sum mean, can you explain it to me?

tak wrote:
    Fatcats !

40 hour week 45 weeks a year as how I saw it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

kearnsr wrote:
    40 hour week 45 weeks a year as how I saw it
    I think you'll find that for any such work theres 2 hours of meetings, discussion, travelling, research etc for every hour sitting at the PC doing up the designs.

Only the government will actually pay a contractor €100 an hour, 40 hours per week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭UsedtobePC

That figure of 180k also assumes you'll be able to find yourself nixers (hence not paying tax) for every hour of every week of the year.

I think you'll find that for any such work theres 2 hours of meetings, discussion, travelling, research etc for every hour sitting at the PC doing up the designs.

Not with me.

This job is so cut an dried it's just a case if a CAD tech can do it or not.
    He/she will know that in 5 minutes consideration.

Why Inventor ?
    Well, do you know of another parametric (and not just allegedly so either) CAD package whose output is readily conprehensible to most CAM packs ?
    I've looked round. Even old Delcam doesn't cut it for this job - and they were supposed to have been developed specifically for the patternmaking industry.
    Besides IV has facilities to convert to other CAD file types as well.

Well before CAD got rid of the rare species draughtsman, I knew a few (some only amateur tracers really) in London who knew the ins and outs of the income tax system so well they'd amaze you . . .
    Something tells me you'll find someone to help you with your income management problem, Used2 . . .

I was only refering to tak figuers. I wasnt saying thats what actually happens

Most CAD packages will save in multiple formats. What do you need? STEP, IGES, G-Code, dxf? You might be surprised at how many software packages can turn out what you need.

The mathematics that led to the 'fat cats' conclusion seemed very flawed to me. As others have said, you don't make 100/per hour day in day out for a year and end up with 180k/pa. Even with an amazing work intake, billable time is never 100%. Plus, what about overhead expenses? What about corporate tax and income tax and....?

• Advertisement

What do you need?

I need Inventor!
    I like it. The resellers here have helped beyond the call of duty. And if the project bears fruit that is the package I'd be inclined to get.

Where are you coming from, dave2pvd ?
    Do you regard Inventor as inferior to Solidworks, Pro-Engineer, CATIA, etc for parametric solids modelling ?
    Or is it that you reckon that most Dublin freelancers use another CAD pack for this sort of job or what ?

I am coming from the point of view that you may be restricting your options.

As I understand it, you need a filetype, not necessarily Inventor.

As far as my preference goes, I think SolidWorks is the best value for 3D modeling. I don't think Inventor is inferior however.

Don't know about Dublin cad jockeys. I sit at a desk in Atlanta, USA. Our mech engs use SolidWorks. EEs use AutoCAD Lite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Hypatia

tak wrote:

From what you say, it doesn't sound like it would be wise to approach a company as the inital contract charge will put it straight into mid five figures.

I would suggest if you are near a technical college or university, to ask an engineering student to do it for you. If for hobby, CNC or any other manufacturing process, make that clear from the start so that you have trhe correct person tailored to you. You could get one to do it for two to four hundred Euros for the best in the class or someone to do a quick job for about a hundred Euro. I would suggest getting a lecturer to give a recommendation for who would be good for a bit of cash in hand work, so as to get someone who is not a half wit.

The 3D work, if they have been using the package should be quite quick if a simple design.

If design work, Autocad and 3DS Viz are best. If a building, autocad does work out well as does Viz. Both use DXF files so are compatable in that respect.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Ive used a good few packages and Pro Engineer is by far the easiest to use and the most versatile.

To use in a CAM package all that needs to be done is save as an IGES file (Easily done). Most CAM systems and CAD packages will use this file for this purpose.

Will look at the Pro-Eng CAD pack, Chris85.
    But I doubt if it will be superior to the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Yeah ive used the Autocad package a bit and it is good, but for me Pro Eng is the best but in saying that everyone has a different one they like.

Each to their own on this one

Advertisement